~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

7 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I don’t think people understand what the Fed does on a daily basis or what TARP did when they post things like this.

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

What are you buying/where do you buy them?

I have an Ameritrade account, both a taxable and for my roth IRA & trad 401k. You can buy these ETFs from any discount broker.

For international ETFs, I focus on:

VXUS- Indexes the world's developed and developing market indexes in one fund, from small cap up to mega cap. This is the only fund you really need to throw money in to get full exposure to international. 

VSS- International small cap. While I put most of my money in VXUS, I also invest a smaller amount to tilt my portfolio towards small companies. VSS is my favorite ETF to do this.

For domestic:

VTI- Total U.S. stock market is my main fund. I have more in this than anything else. It covers micro cap up to mega. For domestic you only need this fund.

SLYV- This is a more niche fund, but I put a smaller additional amount of my U.S. allocation into this fund to tilt towards small companies that have a lower valuation.

Here is a simple way you could think about this. Vanguard recommends that U.S. investors put anywhere from 20-40% of their stock allocation into international. So hypothetically, you can make your own portfolio with a 30% international allocation like this:

$10,000 as an example of cash to invest--->

Purchase $7,000 worth of shares of VTI for your U.S. equity

Purchase $3,000 worth of shares of VXUS for your international equity

The next part is the hardest part. Your money is going to wildly fluctuate over time, so if that bothers you psychologically, try not to look at it very much. If you can't handle the swings, that's when people start adding bonds.

TL;DR: Ameritrade; For international, I'm buying 80% VXUS and 20% VSS.  I buy VEA and VWO as well in my taxable for other reasons.

My favorite ETFs

Domestic:
VTI- Total U.S. market

SLYV- Small cap value

International: 

VXUS- Total International Ex U.S.

VSS- Small Cap International

VEA- Developed International (excludes emerging markets)

VWO- Emerging markets

REIT: 
REET- Domestic and international Real Estate Investment Trusts

VNQ- U.S. Real Estate Investment Trusts

I'm not the biggest fan of reits, but I have a very small % of my portfolio in them, primarily in my 401k/ira. I prefer broader index funds and do not think reits are necessary.

I was a little busy today but man things have been pretty nuts. I can't believe we are probably only a few days away from all gains under trump being completely wiped out. Futures are already over -500, so tomorrow isn't going to be good either.

https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/DM1:IND

:dumpster_fire:

It really might get to the point where the only thing that might calm the markets is the resignation or removal of trump. :beatup: (chances are slim to none but if the markets lose another 8,000 people will be calling for his head).

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

EVERYTHING was down yesterday, stocks, bonds, precious metals, crypto. Where the hell did people put their money?

Gold being down is interesting.  It usually goes up in crises, hence its long-standing use as a fairly reliable contrarian tracker for volatility.  Maybe since the COVID-19 resource shortages could effect miners, volatility is not having its usual gold-boosting effect?  Dunno.

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Get ready to BUY BUY BUY a few minutes after 3 PM eastern, everyone!

Uhh. Yeah someone should talk him out of speaking. Or just let him speak but don't tell him the feed is cut and not live so nobody sees it. 

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Uhh. Yeah someone should talk him out of speaking. Or just let him speak but don't tell him the feed is cut and not live so nobody sees it. 

Compare it to how Trudeau did it: He just did a normal TV interview this morning remotely from his home, and said that the government will be stepping in to cover 14-28 days of sick leave for everyone in Canada through EI (employment insurance), and is looking at ways to help people who wouldn't qualify for EI. Also will be putting in place something to help people cover rent and bills should it be needed, they are looking at options. Just talk about the things you will do to help people, don't cast blame, and then shut up.

For the EI move, apparently all that will be needed is advice from a medical professional (no note needed) or from your employer, to self-isolate. That will get you 14 days of EI with the waiting period waived. If you end up having COVID-19, you can get an additional 14 days but will need proof from a doctor that you have it.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Compare it to how Trudeau did it: He just did a normal TV interview this morning remotely from his home, and said that the government will be stepping in to cover 14-28 days of sick leave for everyone in Canada through EI (employment insurance), and is looking at ways to help people who wouldn't qualify for EI. Also will be putting in place something to help people cover rent and bills should it be needed. Just talk about the things you will do to help people, don't cast blame, and then shut up.

Well this is what happens when you have a competent leader who has a pretty good team in place to handle the given situation. While I don't think the situation would be as bad as the US if we ended up with schere I still think this country as a whole dodged a huge *king bullet in the last election.