~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

I'm glad I abandoned my emotional "all in" strategy and decided to just buy little bits here and there. It's anyone's guess where this thing bottoms. This sucks. The damage is real and costing people dearly. I hope I'm spared from COVID-19 and any sort of unemployment. 

I think it's important to not to dip into cash that you may need if you lose your job or get the virus.

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I can’t wait for the clips of Hannity tonight saying the stock market rise was all due to Trump but the crash is completely out of his control.

They've already laid the groundwork. Rise was thanks to Trump taking over after Obama (even though it also rose through Obama's terms), and the drop is due to COVID-19 which can be blamed on China as well as Obama's red-tape regarding the CDC (which doesn't exist).

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They've already laid the groundwork. Rise was thanks to Trump taking over after Obama (even though it also rose through Obama's terms), and the drop is due to COVID-19 which can be blamed on China as well as Obama's red-tape regarding the CDC (which doesn't exist).

Friend of mine told me that on Conservative Media, the whole COVID-19 thing has gone from being a hoax to a conspiracy by the Democratic Party and The Chinese :|

• Guillotine 3

Speaking of oil prices going down, demand worldwide has to have crashed because if you can't go anywhere, well you don't need oil to get you there. I haven't driven since this weekend. Might try and brave a grocery store run tomorrow to restock up but that's a couple miles tops.

1 hour ago, osxmatt said:

I can’t wait for the clips of Hannity tonight saying the stock market rise was all due to Trump but the crash is completely out of his control.

I dunno, its a weird situation. Trump was not going to stop COVID-19 from reaching the US and while he absolutely could have, and should have done more earlier, we still would probably have taken a lot of these self-isolation/shuttering of stores actions anyways. Canada is doing it, France, Germany, all of them and none of them have someone as clueless as Trump. The stock market was going to drop precipitously regardless, just a question of how much of Trump's ineptitude is factored in.

The reality is that the decision to shut down sports, close non-essential businesses, etc all came from state governments/governors long before the Trump Administration had the idea or recommending. So we'll get through this situation largely in spite of Trump, not because of him for sure.

38 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I dunno, its a weird situation. Trump was not going to stop COVID-19 from reaching the US and while he absolutely could have, and should have done more earlier, we still would probably have taken a lot of these self-isolation/shuttering of stores actions anyways. Canada is doing it, France, Germany, all of them and none of them have someone as clueless as Trump. The stock market was going to drop precipitously regardless, just a question of how much of Trump's ineptitude is factored in.

The reality is that the decision to shut down sports, close non-essential businesses, etc all came from state governments/governors long before the Trump Administration had the idea or recommending. So we'll get through this situation largely in spite of Trump, not because of him for sure.

And in spite of that, he'll take credit for it and win re-election. I've already seen people on my social media talking about how they are going to spend their money from their "Uncle Trump" checks :|

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I'm glad I abandoned my emotional "all in" strategy and decided to just buy little bits here and there. It's anyone's guess where this thing bottoms. This sucks. The damage is real and costing people dearly. I hope I'm spared from COVID-19 and any sort of unemployment. 

I think it's important to not to dip into cash that you may need if you lose your job or get the virus.

I thought this offered some helpful perspective:

From Reddit - 

"The market has dropped about 25% right now, sweet, so cheap right?

The equivalent point in 2008-9 was Sep 2008. The market dropped another 40% from that point before hitting bottom, and it took nearly 27 months to start growing up from that 9/08 level. That is a long, long time to realize 0% ROI. Buying in Sep 2008 was not a "deal". It was not "on sale". It was just locking you in to a very long and painful period of 0 growth at a time you NEEDED an extended emergency fund.

If "previous level" means the peak, it took over 6 years to return."

Seeing stocks down is an enticement to buy, but I think I'll just be padding my emergency fund for a while.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I thought this offered some helpful perspective:

From Reddit - 

"The market has dropped about 25% right now, sweet, so cheap right?

The equivalent point in 2008-9 was Sep 2008. The market dropped another 40% from that point before hitting bottom, and it took nearly 27 months to start growing up from that 9/08 level. That is a long, long time to realize 0% ROI. Buying in Sep 2008 was not a "deal". It was not "on sale". It was just locking you in to a very long and painful period of 0 growth at a time you NEEDED an extended emergency fund.

If "previous level" means the peak, it took over 6 years to return."

Seeing stocks down is an enticement to buy, but I think I'll just be padding my emergency fund for a while.

Somebody bought in September of 2008 was not in a worse position than they were before buying if they were buying and holding. What a try-hardy post by this fella :p 

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Somebody bought in September of 2008 was not in a worse position than they were before buying if they were buying and holding. What a try-hardy post by this fella :p 

I think the best advice is: If you are financially stable and can afford it (confidently), then keep contributing in regular amounts. The market will eventually grow again, and you'll be better off for having done this. If you cannot afford it, then save some cash to prepare for harder times.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think the best advice is: If you are financially stable and can afford it (confidently), then keep contributing in regular amounts. The market will eventually grow again, and you'll be better off for having done this. If you cannot afford it, then save some cash to prepare for harder times.

This is the correct advice all the time for anybody of appropriate age to be investing!

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

U srs

Yes? Fuck yes?

Better to have a senator vote with Trump 52.5% (Manchin) of the time rather than 94.9% (Capito) of the time.

Honestly, if you bothered to do your research, you would have far more cause to be annoyed with Sinema than Manchin.

• Thanks 1