~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

The language is changing around this entire ordeal. It used to be that we would have a bit of a dip and then a "turbo charged recovery". Now the narrative is this thing could be worse than the Great Recession. 

This will send us into a depression. By the numbers at least. What will this mean for people? That all depends on the government response. 

11 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

The language is changing around this entire ordeal. It used to be that we would have a bit of a dip and then a "turbo charged recovery". Now the narrative is this thing could be worse than the Great Recession. 

I think anyone watching this with open eyes can already see it's worse.

3 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I think anyone watching this with open eyes can already see it's worse.

Well...I actually do take some issue with that (at this stage).

At this point, there is no significant systemic risk to the global financial system as there was in 2008 where there was a real fear that it would simply seize up or collapse.

Now, should there be a prolonged period of uncertainty as to the disease's course, that could certainly change.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

Well...I actually do take some issue with that (at this stage).

At this point, there is no significant systemic risk to the global financial system as there was in 2008 where there was a real fear that it would simply seize up or collapse.

Now, should there be a prolonged period of uncertainty as to the disease's course, that could certainly change.

I have no reason to doubt you, but I believe you're looking at this from a much higher-up perspective than I am. On a ground level this seems to have immediate major effects on businesses and employment numbers, and to the working class this sorta seems worse, or at least nearly so.

Granted people aren't losing their homes at an astronomical rate. Yet.

2 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I have no reason to doubt you, but I believe you're looking at this from a much higher-up perspective than I am. On a ground level this seems to have immediate major effects on businesses and employment numbers, and to the working class this sorta seems worse, or at least nearly so.

Right - there is definitely more of an immediate impact in this situation because the closures and layoffs are happening now in real-time

However, had the nightmare scenario occurred in 2008, what you are seeing now would have happened as well with the added bonus of potentially not being able to withdraw money from banks, no access to liquid capital to pay employees and vendors, and many other factors that I'd rather not consider.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Just wait until the US refuses to give folks rent and mortgage holidays and issue an eviction moratorium that get lifted later this year. One that happens THAT'S when people will start losing their homes and businesses.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Just wait until the US refuses to give folks rent and mortgage holidays and issue an eviction moratorium that get lifted later this year. One that happens THAT'S when people will start losing their homes and businesses.

That will only affect those without jobs or enough hours. Which is still significant but we're not talking housing bubble crisis levels.

35 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

@Keyser_Soze - are you a Marriott employee?

Technically no, but I work at a Marriott.

As that fellow described it was like that two days ago, but now the hotel is closing so I'm not quite sure what the pay situation is or anything like that.

I know one of the employees doesn't have health insurance because they said even getting it through the company it was too expensive.

10 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

wow holy shit.  so the morning radio show ive listened to since middle school (Kevin and Bean here on KROQ) had the whole staff fired yesterday

So Kevin and Bean themselves are gone? They fired Ralph Garman two years ago in a similar way.

I agree with SFLUFAN. Liquidity has not seized up and many big companies/organizations are sitting on piles of cash. This recession will heavily impact on the consumer side in the short term but there will at least be cash available to infuse and re-jump start the economy once the effects of the virus wear off over the next 4-6 months. 

23 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Oil is down -18% to $22 a barrel.

Third biggest one day loss in history.

Yep. I've been pointing to this a lot recently. It's really bad. It's completely tanked the canadian dollar and still going. 

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

1. Get barrel for lowest price in 18 years

2. Sell gas for same price

3. ??????

4. Profit

I saw a thing on the news a couple months ago about why gas is so high here and the gas station guy said something along the lines of, "Minimum wage is higher here and they have to pay the employees"

But yeah you're a gas station you make a gajillion dollars a day.