~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Spain overtakes China in coronavirus infections

The total number of infections rose to 85,195 on Monday, above the 81,470 registered in China where the disease originated. An overnight death toll of 812 people brought fatalities in Spain from the virus to 7,340.

Still, the daily infection increase has slowed since the introduction of lockdown measures, falling to 12% on average in the past five days from around 20% in the preceding 10 days, said health emergency spokeswoman Maria Jose Sierra, brought in to substitute for her predecessor who has tested positive for the virus.

Italy sees 812 more coronavirus deaths, but new cases fall steeply

The death toll from an outbreak of coronavirus in Italy has risen by 812 in the last 24 hours, the Civil Protection Agency said on Monday, reversing two days of declines.

Italy, the world’s hardest hit country which accounts for more than a third of all global fatalities, saw its total death tally rise to 11,591 since the outbreak emerged in northern regions on Feb. 21.

More positively, the number of new cases rose by just 4,050, the lowest amount since March 17, reaching a total of 101,739

14 hours ago, darkness35 said:

Any Asians in D1P?

Constant bombardment with the news has been really fucking me over.  I've already had two fucking instances where people have treated me differently, although none aggressively towards me.  I've been debating on carrying a pocket knife with me whenever I leave my apartment.

Model minority status revoked 

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Jeet's article in The Nation that expands on his tweets:

All the President’s Crackpots

This bit jumped out to me as I read this...

Epstein is using not real evolutionary theory but rather metaphors taken from evolutionary theory in order to dress up his personal prejudices in the borrowed authority of science.

This is the oldest technique in the racist and supremacist playbook. Use legitimate scientific theories and principles to justify their racist viewpoint. 

Arizona Gov. Ducey just announced state wide stay at home order starting tomorrow at 5pm. Glad I got stocked up on food and water because I imagine there will be another run at supplies. I really don't need to leave the house for at least a month. 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

Anybody who got diagnosed with pneumonia in the last few months should be suspect that they possibly had covid. 

These folks weren't diagnosed but they had really bad flu. We have one family friend who had been positively diagnosed with Covid and she is currently recovering. Her older sister didn't make it though and she passed last week.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I know a couple of people who suspect they had it in late January and February.

I had...something that felt very different to me than a normal cold or flu. It was only at the very tail end of it that i realized they might be connected or that it might be something to worry about more than a run of the mill flu/cold.

With our testing capability still lagging, I wonder every day about a Tweet that was posted in this thread a while back about how the country is on fire already and we don't even know it 

If all these randos saying “I’m pretty sure I had it back in January” actually had it back in January, our number of deceased would be waaaaaay worse than they are and hospitals everywhere would already be completely overrun. The math just doesn’t check out on these claims.

I had the Flu, back in february and people asking me if they think it was Sars-Cov-2, i'm like no, i was on my ass for a week but i wasn't gasping for air and was mostly in my sinuses, didn't bother with a test cause they were sure thats what it was and wouldn't change how i was treated.

57 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If all these randos saying “I’m pretty sure I had it back in January” actually had it back in January, our number of deceased would be waaaaaay worse than they are and hospitals everywhere would already be completely overrun. The math just doesn’t check out on these claims.

True. I did watch a video and a guy was saying he thinks he had it because he had pneumonia and shortness of breath but didn’t test positive for anything and his doctor was confused. That was early January. 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

It's sad ridiculous that we can't manage to make enough masks for everyone.

FTFY.

And BTW the folks I referenced that said they might have had it in January/February would be easy to discount except for the fact that all three were traveling internationally at that time with one couple being in Thailand when the husband got really sick. Not everyone who gets it is hospitalized. My family friend who has it who's older sister passed away from it was quarantined in her home the whole time. She was never hospitalized and she's in her 60's. Her sister who passed away was in her 70's and had chronic asthma I believe.

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It doesn't help when people needlessly buy up stock to hoard, like with other basic supplies. We had to remove the masks from our isolation boxes at work because visitors were stealing them when this shit started.

I've heard tell of Cal Stat mysteriously disappearing!

12 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I haven't gone grocery shopping since mid-March.  I'm starting to run low on non-perishables so I'll have to make a trip this weekend.  I'm almost too scared to go...

I went to Kroger's last week and every piece of meat, fresh and frozen, was gone.  Just went today and they are pretty well stocked up.  I guess everyone has hoarded up for a while, so now might be the lull between the next one.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

I had the Flu, back in february and people asking me if they think it was Sars-Cov-2, i'm like no, i was on my ass for a week but i wasn't gasping for air and was mostly in my sinuses, didn't bother with a test cause they were sure thats what it was and wouldn't change how i was treated.

I was knocked out for 2 days on Christmas.  Tested negative for the Flu.  Don't think it was Covid 19 because I had no problems breathing and no fever.

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It doesn't help when people needlessly buy up stock to hoard, like with other basic supplies. We had to remove the masks from our isolation boxes at work because visitors were stealing them when this shit started.

I know of some person who bought 3M masks from hardware stores to re-sell on ebay for 10x the price.