~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Wuhan Residents Dismiss Official Coronavirus Death Toll: ‘The Incinerators Have Been Working Around the Clock’

Wuhan residents are increasingly skeptical of the Chinese Communist Party’s reported coronavirus death count of approximately 2,500 deaths in the city to date, with most people believing the actual number is at least 40,000.

“Maybe the authorities are gradually releasing the real figures, intentionally or unintentionally, so that people will gradually come to accept the reality,” a Wuhan resident, who gave only his surname Mao, told Radio Free Asia.

A city source added that, based on the aggregation of funeral and cremation numbers, authorities likely know the real number and are keeping it under wraps.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Grocery store workers near me keep testing positive, two more this morning. I know people need groceries so these stores absolutely cannot shut down, but there needs to be a compromise made: pick-up or delivery only. Pay all your employees to be personal shoppers instead of stocking shelves and manning cash registers. All pick-up is curbside, deliveries are left on porches/in front of doors and not brought in homes.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Grocery store workers near me keep testing positive, two more this morning. I know people need groceries so these stores absolutely cannot shut down, but there needs to be a compromise made: pick-up or delivery only. Pay all your employees to be personal shoppers instead of stocking shelves and manning cash registers. All pick-up is curbside, deliveries are left on porches/in front of doors and not brought in homes.

This is what should be done honestly.  Yeah it makes it harder to shop, but everything is harder now.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

This is what should be done honestly.  Yeah it makes it harder to shop, but everything is harder now.

Yea. Plus, if all workers were converted to getting orders together, more slots would/should become available for pick-up and it wouldn’t be that bad. As of this moment the soonest my local Shoprite has available for pick-up is a week from now, delivery is 10-days from now... and they limit you to a single pack of chicken per customer (don’t even get me started on how stupid overly strict limits like this are - it forces people to come back more frequently and increases risk for spreading the virus. 2-3 pack limit on meats, sure... 1? Gtfo)

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

But I'm getting an extra $2/hr...

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea. Plus, if all workers were converted to getting orders together, more slots would/should become available for pick-up and it wouldn’t be that bad. As of this moment the soonest my local Shoprite has available for pick-up is a week from now, delivery is 10-days from now... and they limit you to a single pack of chicken per customer (don’t even get me started on how stupid overly strict limits like this are - it forces people to come back more frequently and increases risk for spreading the virus. 2-3 pack limit on meats, sure... 1? Gtfo)

Before my sister had to start her, well, our quarantine. They closed down her department and made her a personal shopper for the pickup orders. They were booked for the next 2 weeks and that was pushing it because some late evening orders had to be canceled. They use to do 30-35 a day before this shit, and then they tried pushing it to 90-110 a day but they can’t. At least the people receiving have been very grateful for what they are doing and some are tipping $5-30 an order. 

2 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Before my sister had to start her, well, our quarantine. They closed down her department and made her a personal shopper for the pickup orders. They were booked for the next 2 weeks and that was pushing it because some late evening orders had to be canceled. They use to do 30-35 a day before this shit, and then they tried pushing it to 90-110 a day but they can’t. At least the people receiving have been very grateful for what they are doing and some are tipping $5-30 an order. 

Yea, it’s rough out there. I believe if they had every employee doing it instead of stocking shelves and whatever else, it would be more plausible, though, and likely safer for the employees (plus they wouldn’t need to shop around customers).

Good thread. Basically:

• The forces have already been asked to assist for unofficial minor things but have turned the requests down, preferring to keep resources centralized for when "big asks" start coming in, which they have been preparing for with civilian leadership.
  • Military is already sitting in on all provincial and federal planning meetings
  • Military is communicating openly with leadership about what would be possible to fulfill, they don't want to be caught off-guard with a public request that would go outside their operational boundaries

Good to see there is a lot of communication and planning in place. The military in Canada is routinely used for large-scale emergencies (wildfires, storms, snow in Toronto... :p ).

52 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

My kid's teachers have reached out to me, to confirm availability of internet, computers and tablets.

Saskatchewan's schools (and Alberta, too) have already been shut down for the whole school year. We've also heard rumblings to prepare for online-only in September as well, just in case.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm glad that some insurance companies are waiving copays and whatnot for coronavirus, but if you don't have insurance in the first place because you lost your job, then you are kind of shit out of luck.  I'm sure (and hope) that this pandemic will accelerate the timeline for universal healthcare - whether that means a public option or single payer. 

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

Aircraft carriers, along with all other Navy ships, are a prime breeding ground for this.  You have up to 200 people in one berthing area, sleeping only feet away from each other.  Everyone shares a limited number of showers, toilets, and excercise facilities. 

On my carrier back in 2007,  we had an outbreak of sickness from contaminated potable water tanks.  It basically crippled the ship for over a week - over half of the ship ended up getting sick (puking, diarrhea, fever).  It got to the point where if you were scheduled to stand watch but you were sick, you still had to stand watch because anyone that could've replaced you was also sick.  I was shitting and puking into the same bucket while standing watch in the engine room at one point. 

Good times. 

• Sad 1