~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm glad that some insurance companies are waiving copays and whatnot for coronavirus, but if you don't have insurance in the first place because you lost your job, then you are kind of shit out of luck.  I'm sure (and hope) that this pandemic will accelerate the timeline for universal healthcare - whether that means a public option or single payer. 

(It won't)

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I mean, you sort of have to in states that require you to use gun stores to transfer guns from one person to another - otherwise you eliminate the ability for a person to legally acquire a gun.  

I'm just not seeing a downside anywhere in this post.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm just not seeing a downside anywhere in this post.

Well, if your neighborhood has gone to shit it might be kind of comforting to be able to purchase a gun to protect yourself, especially if the police are effectively incapacitated as well.  

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

No.

Unemployment is likely to reach 30% - which is above what was experience at the height of the great depression.  People are going to become desperate - I have no doubt that home break-ins will become more common over the next few months.

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Saskatchewan's schools (and Alberta, too) have already been shut down for the whole school year. We've also heard rumblings to prepare for online-only in September as well, just in case.

They sent out the following email last night, the board is looking at distributing technology and providing internet to families who don't have it.

This is [teacher name], your child’s homeroom teacher at [school name] School. I’m reaching out to check in on [my son's name] and to find out how the Peel District School Board can support your family by helping with access to technology.

In the coming weeks and months, we need to think about how teaching and learning can continue from home. The Peel board has a responsibility to ensure that every student has access to learning at home and we are all working diligently to ensure that all learning needs are met.

Today, I’m following up on a message that you received from the Peel board. They are currently working to identify technology requirements in all Peel board households. They’ve asked teachers to reach out to families and I’m hoping you have a moment to answer seven quick questions.

If you’ve already provided this information to another teacher, you don’t need to respond to the questions. Just reply to this email to let me know that you’ve already provided the information.

Please respond to these questions by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 31, 2020:

·       Name of the parent/guardian

·       Preferred email address

·       Best phone number for parent/guardian

·       Do you have other children living in your household, besides the one(s) I teach, who attend a Peel board school? Yes/No

·       Do you have access to a device that you can use to do your school work at home?  Yes or No

·       If so, which type of device does your child/teen have access to? Laptop, tablet, desktop or cell phone?

·       Do you have access to the Internet at home?  Yes or No 

The Peel board will continue to share more information and resources with students and families, as they become available, at www.peelschools.org

As the board works to identify students who are most in need of devices and Internet access, they will reach out to families directly. We expect that this will happen over the next week or so.

Thank you for your time. Keep safe.

While It is prudent to plan ahead for the fall,  if we are still trying to self-isolate in September, the societal impacts may be worse than the alternative.

20 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Captain's letter begging for help. He's recommending two options: do nothing, sailors die, and fight sick OR offload the Carrier.  

For days I’ve been wondering how the military is doing with cases. We haven’t heard much on them. I wondered if bases were on lock down and leave canceled due to corona to try and isolate the soldiers from an infected general population. 

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Well, if your neighborhood has gone to shit it might be kind of comforting to be able to purchase a gun to protect yourself, especially if the police are effectively incapacitated as well.  

If it reaches a point where the need to own a firearm is unequivocal, then you are already SOL. 

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

If it reaches a point where the need to own a firearm is unequivocal, then you are already SOL. 

Fair enough

Edit:  I guess my point is that people would rather at least have the option of protecting themselves, than "roll over and take it".

22 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If my neighborhood goes to shit, I certainly don't want a bunch of new gun owner jackoffs running around playing Walking Dead.

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They sent out the following email last night, the board is looking at distributing technology and providing internet to families who don't have it.

While It is prudent to plan ahead for the fall,  if we are still trying to self-isolate in September, the societal impacts may be worse than the alternative.

Yeah we are prepping a few hundred laptops right now (from our schools) for poor students to have at home to provide equality of access. We might also get airsticks if they don't have home internet.

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Lancet journal just released a study that says the mortality rate is only 0.66%, not higher.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/health/coronavirus-lower-death-rate/index.html

tl;dr:  Did that study only look at coronavirus, or did it also look at the corresponding deaths due to not being able to treat everyone?  By that I mean, if a hospital is completely full of coronavirus patients with limited medical staff, does it take into account heart attack victims who simply were unable to be saved because of the pandemic? 

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

tl;dr:  Did that study only look at coronavirus, or did it also look at the corresponding deaths due to not being able to treat everyone?  By that I mean, if a hospital is completely full of coronavirus patients with limited medical staff, does it take into account heart attack victims who simply were unable to be saved because of the pandemic? 

I think it only looked at COVID-19 patients.

19 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Ehhhhh - that really should not factor at all into a study of the mortality of COVID-19 itself.

21 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I feel like it should, because this kind of thing is what gets used to say it's not big deal.

19 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Exactly.  Now you are going to have a bunch of people use this study to argue we need to "reopen America" now.  

That defintely should be part of a different study, but not one whose scope is to quantify the actual mortality of COVID-19 itself.

Harris County just extended the shelter at home order though the end of April. They had the CEOs of the major hospitals in Houston at the press conference and said the peak will hit around May 1 in the Houston area if we continue to buckle down.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Should the fewer traffic fatalities due to self isolation be taken into account as well?

Preventable deaths should be taken into account. A flattened curve would feature fewer ancillary deaths due to  keeping hospitals from becoming over-burdened. That difference matters. Lives saved from fewer people driving to work would be a nice number to have on hand to argue for an increases to the use of public transportation or even just telecommuting. That argument, however, has nothing to do with whether we're doing a good or bad job keeping this pandemic in check.