~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

In a completely different study.

No matter how we count it, we're going to be far under-counting how many people are dying so I guess it doesn't really matter. Unless we're talking about pure mortality rate issues, I guess we're just arguing semantics. Even then, the mortality rate for COVID-19 is being effected by how over-burdened hospitals are, so we still need to track that. A person in critical care is more likely to survive in a hospital in Maine than a hospital in New York right now simply due to how much stress New York's network currently is.

No matter, it's not like here in Massachusetts we just had a dozen die in a state-run veterans center and discover that not a single city or state official knew anything about the outbreak there.

• Shocked 1

Let me put it this way: would it really make a difference to those who want to end these restrictions if the mortality rate including preventable ancillary deaths was 2% versus the 0.7% to 1.0% actual mortality of COVID-19?

The answer is no.

So why muddy the science of detemining the actual mortality of the disease in order "appease" those who don't give a damn anyway?

22 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Let me put it this way: would it really make a difference to those who want to end these restrictions if the mortality rate including preventable ancillary deaths was 2% versus the 0.7% to 1.0% actual mortality of COVID-19?

The answer is no.

So why muddy the science of detemining the actual mortality of the disease in order "appease" those who don't give a damn anyway?

The actual science of the mortality rate will come after this whole thing is over and done with anyway.  Doing it during the crisis and telling people that it'll only kill 2/3rds of a percent I believe will only serve to convince people that it's fine to go about their business.

6 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

The actual science of the mortality rate will come after this whole thing is over and done with anyway.  Doing it during the crisis and telling people that it'll only kill 2/3rds of a percent I believe will only serve to convince people that it's fine to go about their business.

This assumes people actually care about things like facts or data over their preconceived notions about life.

59 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Harris County just extended the shelter at home order though the end of April. They had the CEOs of the major hospitals in Houston at the press conference and said the peak will hit around May 1 in the Houston area if we continue to buckle down.

I wish that places (talking about peaks) would add something like "The peak will be on XXXX, assuming that we keep the shelter-at-home in place indefinitely." Because I think a lot of people believe that once we hit the peak that cases will decline and we will be in the clear to re-open society. But the peak is the peak of new cases (new cases will still come in, just at a lower rate), and this will only continue for as long as the shelter-in-place orders remain.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

6 hours ago, osxmatt said:

Any additional info on this? I did a 30 second Google search, and all I found was articles about stores staying open and deeming themselves essential.

I can only find this on some site called pop culture. Most stories are about them stating open in defiance of orders.

My girlfriend and I just looked, and part of it might be true. We did find that they fired people by email. I imagine they may have not gotten any severance. But they clearly haven't closed their stores, unless this guy was talking locally.

6 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Captain should disable comms and force march his crew off the ship. 

We actually had abandon ship drills.  Reactor department was supposed to stay onboard as long as possible, and possibly go down with the ship (if it were sinking).  Our orders were to shut down the reactors and start destroying all confidential/classified material. 

So even if they evacuated this carrier, the reactor department (around 400 sailors) would stay aboard tending to the reactor plant.  

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

We actually had abandon ship drills.  Reactor department was supposed to stay onboard as long as possible, and possibly go down with the ship (if it were sinking).  Our orders were to shut down the reactors and start destroying all confidential/classified material. 

So even if they evacuated this carrier, the reactor department (around 400 sailors) would stay aboard tending to the reactor plant.  

I like it, scuttle her. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SilentWorld said:

Is it unreasonable? Any more than South Korea's? 

Yes. There is nothing about China’s behavior in the last month that suggests the numbers more or less just stopped, while mounting evidence that the death totals are significantly higher.

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes. There is nothing about China’s behavior in the last month that suggests the numbers more or less just stopped, while mounting evidence that the death totals are significantly higher.

Well, that’s a log chart. The numbers aren’t stopped they’ve just slowed down significantly. 

China’s behaviour seems, to me, consistent with the thesis that they have largely gotten over the first wave of infections but I could be naive. I find it hard to believe that they’d shut down their make shift hospitals and send doctors to other countries if things hadn’t calmed down.

11 minutes ago, SilentWorld said:

Well, that’s a log chart. The numbers aren’t stopped they’ve just slowed down significantly. 

It’s a cumulative numbers chart. So an almost flat line is close to no new cases.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s a cumulative numbers chart. So an almost flat line is close to no new cases.

Look at the labels on the y axis. It’s a cumulative numbers log chart. China had close to 100 new cases yesterday, but it’s going to be hard to see that on a log chart where the sum of cases is nearly 100,000. Compare that to South Korea that is reporting a slightly higher amount of new cases a day (140 yesterday I think) but it’s much more noticeable because their sum total is <10,000.