~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Seems bad.

Um....if that were to hold true on the high end we would be equaling or surpassing the total deaths in the 1918 outbreak.

While, obviously, there is a large difference in overall population, it speaks to how badly we handled this on a social and political level to have such an outcome despite 100 years of huge improvements in medical technology and treatment.

One of Trump's final inflictions of damage upon this country was his promises of a vaccine as soon as October.

Not just because he was lying and wrong, but because he dragged the discussion about it down to some kind of partisan finishing line(his "Mission Accomplished" you might say).

It seems like only now is the country fully coming to grips with just how far away "introduction of the vaccine" is from "vaccine has a substantive impact on the pandemic at large".

And that misunderstanding has driven some of the bad decisions by the public and inaction by the GOP.

Someone at the gym this morning was saying “the COVID numbers are fake, right?”, asking them what they are talking about led to “I mean, they’re just testing more now then they were a couple months back, that’s why the numbers are up, right?” (I love how they kept adding “right?” at the end to make it seem as if they’re just asking questions), I finally replied: ...So... because they weren’t testing as much, the previous numbers from the other months were underestimated... meaning the low numbers were inaccurate and the current numbers are real then?”. They had no actual response to this, just confusion. :silly:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Someone at the gym this morning was saying “the COVID numbers are fake, right?”, asking them what they are talking about led to “I mean, they’re just testing more now then they were a couple months back, that’s why the numbers are up, right?” (I love how they kept adding “right?” at the end to make it seem as if they’re just asking questions), I finally replied: ...So... because they weren’t testing as much, the previous numbers from the other months were underestimated... meaning the low numbers were inaccurate and the current numbers are real then?”. They had no actual response to this, just confusion. :silly:

It isnt just that they are morons of the highest degree it that they think have some greater insight then rest of the world and proceed to act all smug about it.

Doctor: Sorry you have Cancer

Patient: Thats Fake News

Doctor:?

Patient: I never had it before

Doctor: We never tested you before

Patient: Exactly

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In terms of physical and medical infrastructure, I'd say that first map is probably quite accurate. What it misses is that the places with the best infrastructure (and standard of living) also have populations that don't understand hardship or sacrifice, and so don't have the willpower or fortitude to deal with a sustained crisis.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

One thing that always bugs me about these is that I don't blindly trust data from places like India and Brazil, let alone Russia and China.

India has only processed 150 million covid tests as of this month, with over 4 times the population of the US. And you know poor people could be getting covid in droves over there and no one would give a shit.

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In terms of physical and medical infrastructure, I'd say that first map is probably quite accurate. What it misses is that the places with the best infrastructure (and standard of living) also have populations that don't understand hardship or sacrifice, and so don't have the willpower or fortitude to deal with a sustained crisis.

Yep. There it is.

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

One thing that always bugs me about these is that I don't blindly trust data from places like India and Brazil, let alone Russia and China.

India has only processed 150 million covid tests as of this month, with over 4 times the population of the US. And you know poor people could be getting covid in droves over there and no one would give a shit.

Also yep.

"Third world" countries, or unindustrialized or slowly industrializing nations have little infrastructure, large poverty stricken populations, and certainly far fewer medical facilities, amenities, etc. I've been to many of them. Between far less travel and transit to these countries from other countries normally (thus lowering the chances of a spread there) and an inability to properly report on the virus given the lack of proper infrastructure to do so, I imagine it's much worse in some of these countries than we think.

That being said, East Asia and South East Asia specifically have always taken medical issues pretty serious, especially post SARS and H1N1, so their shit on Covid is together for other reasons.

20 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Okay, twice now I've tried to type out a post and it just randomly disappeared as I was typing. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have a newer macbook pro for work, and if I accidentally wrest a portion of my palms on the giant trackpad, while I'm typing, I'll accidentally highlight the entire text field and erase what I wrote with the next keystroke.  It's the worst when I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt or jacket. 

18 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I have a newer macbook pro for work, and if I accidentally wrest a portion of my palms on the giant trackpad, while I'm typing, I'll accidentally highlight the entire text field and erase what I wrote with the next keystroke.  It's the worst when I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt or jacket. 

No, I'm just on my PC, using my standard keyboard. It wasn't a super short post, so when it gets erased multiple times when I'm almost done, it's rather frustrating.

Anyway, I'll try to make it short, so hopefully it won't mysteriously erase.

Hateful Trumpster coworker I've mentioned here before is hospitalized with covid. She's called it Kung Flu and blamed the Chinese government for it all. I know she hasn't been careful since things started opening back up, eating at restaurants multiple times a week. Hope she makes a recovery, because even I'm not cruel enough to wish that on her. But she's got multiple comorbidities, hypertension, autoimmune stuff, plus she's quite obese. Just not smart.

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Hateful Trumpster coworker I've mentioned here before is hospitalized with covid. She's called it Kung Flu and blamed the Chinese government for it all. I know she hasn't been careful since things started opening back up, eating at restaurants multiple times a week. Hope she makes a recovery, because even I'm not cruel enough to wish that on her. But she's got multiple comorbidities, hypertension, autoimmune stuff, plus she's quite obese. Just not smart.

Oh my gooooood.

I hope she recovers and has to take MERCILESS shit from everyone about it. 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm not nearly as nice as you are. Fuck her and fucker her entire fucking family. They all fucking deserve it.

Just now, Jason said:

I'm not nearly as nice as you are. Fuck her and fucker her entire fucking family. They all fucking deserve it.

Let's just say I'm not entirely sympathetic. But I have to be careful about how I act at work. I don't think she's deathly ill at the moment, but I'm betting with her other health issues she's not going to bounce right back.

Oh, she also got called into HR for a meeting last week about her conduct. Seems some of the black people at work heard her rant about "hoodrats" and "thugs" and didn't appreciate it. Now she's angry and says she's leaving because "you just can't say anything these days." She's the victim. :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Let's just say I'm not entirely sympathetic. But I have to be careful about how I act at work. I don't think she's deathly ill at the moment, but I'm betting with her other health issues she's not going to bounce right back.

Oh, she also got called into HR for a meeting last week about her conduct. Seems some of the black people at work heard her rant about "hoodrats" and "thugs" and didn't appreciate it. Now she's angry and says she's leaving because "you just can't say anything these days." She's the victim. :rolleyes:

Well, not with a ventilator in you can't... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So yesterday a co worker and I worked at facility that contracted my company to "secure" a wing of one of the floors. This isnt a strange request and is pretty common in medical faculties. As the day went on it was brought to our attention that it was being secured due to Covid. The patients in the wing had already tested positive and were wondering around us in close proximity. If I come out of this unscathed I have to assume I already contacted it at this point.

Also 2 morons at my daughters work(she works in a retirement community)proceeded to come to work after testing positive. Now 4 other employees have got it. They only got caught because one of them slipped up and said they were so tired of not being able to taste anything.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Also 2 morons at my daughters work(she works in a retirement community)proceeded to come to work after testing positive. Now 4 other employees have got it. They only got caught because one of them slipped up and said they were so tired of not being able to taste anything.

This has been an issue at our local hospital. The morons that are part of the anti-mask this is fake crowd brought it into the long-term facility and an outbreak that took 4 of the 30ish patients. Oh and 13 of the staff (just the nurses, housekeeping and food prep) brought it in because they attended a fucking baby shower. 

• Guillotine 1

59 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This reminds me of when I was GM of my family’s restaurant and this hostess from Spain said something to me to the effect of “what Hitler did was overboard but someone had to do something about the Jews in Europe at that time.” When I looked at her absolutely fucking horrified and yelled that if she ever even hinted at garbage like that to a customer, she could not work there, I got the “wow Joseph, I don’t even know how to talk in front of you!” How about don’t say Nazi shit, maybe give that a try?

Unbelievable how bigoted assholes always make themselves to be the victim.

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

This reminds me of when I was GM of my family’s restaurant and this hostess from Spain said something to me to the effect of “what Hitler did was overboard but someone had to do something about the Jews in Europe at that time.” When I looked at her absolutely fucking horrified and yelled that if she ever even hinted at garbage like that to a customer, she could not work there, I got the “wow Joseph, I don’t even know how to talk in front of you!” How about don’t say Nazi shit, maybe give that a try?

Unbelievable how bigoted assholes always make themselves to be the victim.

Poor things only want to drop a hard 'r' n-word or call people 'homos' and not lose their job it's their first amendment right and they're just sick of the pc police telling them what they can and can't say