~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

So my wife has tested positive for an early case of pregnancy. Like extremely early, won't even have the first doctor appointment until Jan 7 (OB's office limiting number of people in at one time). It's extremely early and I wouldn't make a thing out of this but.... Her school / district just announced yesterday that they are going  back into classrooms starting in January, students back in class in February,and is asking for ADA exemptions before the end of this week. The nurse at her OB's office is wholly unhelpful, just saying she needs to stay hydrated and socially distance. How the fuck do you socially distance when teachers have to move from teaching station to teaching station, seeing dozens of kids daily? It's fucking insane! I'm trying to get her to be more forceful about getting a note since pregnancy puts you (and the fetus!) At a high risk of a severe case of covid should you catch it or other health complications. 

Teachers didn't sign up for this shit!

Yesterday I still had a little taste left, but now it is none. I wasn't sure, but I ate some frozen lasagna and I couldn't taste a damn thing. I am not sure what I am going to do about food. The only reason to not eat the same thing for every meal is texture and the way if fills you up. The only thing that really leaves any impact is strong salt. Like a plain lay's chip. I can't taste the chip but I can feel the salt and that causes some sort of reaction similar to tasting. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yesterday I still had a little taste left, but now it is none. I wasn't sure, but I ate some frozen lasagna and I couldn't taste a damn thing. I am not sure what I am going to do about food. The only reason to not eat the same thing for every meal is texture and the way if fills you up. The only thing that really leaves any impact is strong salt. Like a plain lay's chip. I can't taste the chip but I can feel the salt and that causes some sort of reaction similar to tasting. 

I saw this several weeks ago:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/meet-joke-boon-the-chef-who-can-t-smell-or-taste-1.5152294

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

So my wife has tested positive for an early case of pregnancy. Like extremely early, won't even have the first doctor appointment until Jan 7 (OB's office limiting number of people in at one time). It's extremely early and I wouldn't make a thing out of this but.... Her school / district just announced yesterday that they are going  back into classrooms starting in January, students back in class in February,and is asking for ADA exemptions before the end of this week. The nurse at her OB's office is wholly unhelpful, just saying she needs to stay hydrated and socially distance. How the fuck do you socially distance when teachers have to move from teaching station to teaching station, seeing dozens of kids daily? It's fucking insane! I'm trying to get her to be more forceful about getting a note since pregnancy puts you (and the fetus!) At a high risk of a severe case of covid should you catch it or other health complications. 

Teachers didn't sign up for this shit!

Our district says that teachers can socially distance in the classroom but I don't understand how lower elementary teachers can possibly do that. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Does Massachusetts ACTUALLY have fewer cases than Florida or just fewer cases than what Florida is reporting? 

Massachusetts has more cases than Florida, per capita in official numbers. Florida looks to be underreporting cases by about 20%, so someone else can do the math. Looks like we'd be about even. Yay, Republican governors!

He carved out a huge exception to churches and that's been a huge point of infection. Even now, the roll backs won't touch churches. Combine that with how young all our major cities trend and how younger folks don't seem to really care and it's been a disaster.

Now my second brother-in-law is in and out of the hospital with COVID and my grandfather was intubated. Lots of fun going on out here.

So one bit of good news is that apparently it's not a complete disaster if some people only get the first of the two doses. Not sure how many people they're considering when giving the overall 82% figure though.

In documents published ahead of an advisory meeting Thursday to review Pfizer’s vaccine, FDA staff also said data submitted appeared to show the vaccine was at least 52% effective before the second dose and 82% effective for the combined group of people who took one or two doses.

106807768-16074334322020-12-08t111010z_3
WWW.CNBC.COM

The FDA said data from Pfizer's coronavirus vaccine trials was "consistent" with recommendations put forth by the agency for an emergency use authorization.

I have reached new levels of taste loss. It feels like I have reached negatives levels. One on hand, it is kinda neat to experience the loss of two senses to this extreme, but it mostly sucks pretty badly. I don't really have much desire to eat or even drink. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I have reached new levels of taste loss. It feels like I have reached negatives levels. One on hand, it is kinda neat to experience the loss of two senses to this extreme, but it mostly sucks pretty badly. I don't really have much desire to eat or even drink. 

Try spicy foods. As I understand it, even in cases of extreme taste loss, spicy can still register.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Try spicy foods. As I understand it, even in cases of extreme taste loss, spicy can still register.

Maybe I don't have spicy enough foods, but what spicy food I had on hand didn't register at all flavor wise.

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like a good time to embrace drinking water.

Sounds like a good time to shut yer mouth cuz I've already done that. :dab2:

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Maybe I don't have spicy enough foods, but what spicy food I had on hand didn't register at all flavor wise. 

Go all in. I've got stuff like ghost pepper powder and szechuan peppercorns that I cook with...often. The szechuan peppercorn should work out pretty well since you should definitely feel that even without taste.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, I didn't cook before, but I definitely am not going to be cooking anything now that I can't taste. 

Ha, true enough. Go pick up a nice hot sauce then. Last time I had pneumonia, I lost my sense of taste. I wound up eating virtually nothing but chicken soup with a good helping of chili oil.

44 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Can't lose what you never had, fam. :dab2:

• Shocked 1

The other big news in Canada about the vaccines was that Trump is insisting that anything made in the US go to Americans, regardless of priority contracts (which he failed to procure, of course). Someone asked the Canadian government if that jeopardizes our supply...and they said they made sure to source our doses from European suppliers. So basically, Canada anticipated the US trying to fuck everyone over again (like they did with stealing ventilator shipments last spring).

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The other big news in Canada about the vaccines was that Trump is insisting that anything made in the US go to Americans, regardless of priority contracts (which he failed to procure, of course). Someone asked the Canadian government if that jeopardizes our supply...and they said they made sure to source our does from European suppliers. So basically, Canada anticipated the US trying to fuck everyone over again (like they did with stealing ventilator shipments last spring).

As an American, that's awesome because fuck this selfish administration.

It also looks like Canada is going to be supplying a huge number of vaccines to poor nations. From my understanding, the government has ordered something like 550 million doses, but we only need around 70 million, and the rest will be diverted to other nations. A poll was just done in Canada and a huge majority approved of the effort, too.