~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Jesus:

063_1291660678.jpg?resize=1024%2C630
WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

About five percent of the US population has contracted the virus, or close to 17 million people.

Welp, can’t say we (Canadian members) didn’t warn you guys of what’s going to follow post thanksgiving in the US. Sadly here in Canada things are getting pretty dire as well as people go about their days in the run up to Christmas. We’re pretty fucked until the new year (when hopefully we’ll get another strict lockdown).

:SARS-CoV-2:

1 minute ago, Joe said:

If you guys look at the growth over the last week or so, it actually hasn't been much. The deaths are obviously staggering and higher than I anticipated, but there has not been a dramatic Thanksgiving case spike.

It seems that deaths roughly follow 4 weeks after diagnosis, at around 2% of diagnosis. So I'd expect the death bump to take place late next week in the US, if it does. 

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It seems that deaths roughly follow 4 weeks after diagnosis, at around 2% of diagnosis. So I'd expect the death bump to take place late next week in the US, if it does. 

Yep, this is definitely going to get worse death count wise, which seems unimaginable but it's true. However, I do think there's light at the end of the tunnel here and we could see a reduced death count as early as the beginning of February (reduced case count before that). Like I said earlier, the increase has not been anywhere near exponential and many states have gone into lockdown again. NJ's case count has plateaued over the last couple weeks and our Rt is trending downwards. We are incredibly at 1.05 right now without a lockdown and it might go under 1 next week if the trend continues.

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

If you guys look at the growth over the last week or so, it actually hasn't been much. The deaths are obviously staggering and higher than I anticipated, but there has not been a dramatic Thanksgiving case spike.

Things are going to get REALLY bad when the hospitals hit capacity and that's going to happen any day now.

LDN-L-VIRUS-LA-UPDATE-072-1-1.jpg?w=640
WWW.DAILYNEWS.COM

The index, posted by state public health officials amid the deepening coronavirus surge, fell a full percentage point from Tuesday’s 1.7% level.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Things are going to get REALLY bad when the hospitals hit capacity and that's going to happen any day now.

LDN-L-VIRUS-LA-UPDATE-072-1-1.jpg?w=640
WWW.DAILYNEWS.COM

The index, posted by state public health officials amid the deepening coronavirus surge, fell a full percentage point from Tuesday’s 1.7% level.

Yes, death count wise they could hit 5k in a day or more, which again is fucking crazy.

Well Ontario keeps get higher and higher in cases. We have been over 2000+ confirmed cases over the past 3 days with a new record being broken each day. Today we were 2,437 cases and it seems like more stricter lockdowns will be coming soon. My area has average 50-60 cases a day but doubled that today. Lock us the fuck up now Mr Ford

W2Q64VSARII6XNMLCYR7MJTZMA.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The changes prompted concern in health departments across the country about whether Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s vaccine accelerator, was capable of distributing doses quickly enough to meet the target of delivering first shots to 20 million people by the end of the year.

Officials in multiple states said they were alerted late Wednesday that their second shipments of Pfizer-BioNTech’s vaccine next week had been reduced, sparking widespread confusion and spurring the company’s CEO to put out a statement saying it had millions more doses than were being distributed.

The changes prompted concern in health departments across the country about whether Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s vaccine accelerator, was capable of distributing doses quickly enough to meet the target of delivering first shots to 20 million people by year’s end.

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) said anticipated shipments to the state in the next two weeks had been cut roughly in half. The uncertainty was even more pronounced in Florida, where Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said new shipments from Pfizer were “on hold,” as officials in his administration reported their expected allocation disappearing entirely in Tiberius, the online tracking system the Trump administration is using to coordinate with the states. Fred Piccolo Jr., a spokesman for DeSantis, said the numbers had come back online by Thursday but had been reduced significantly.

Michael Pratt, an HHS spokesperson, denied any changes to “numbers locked in with states.”

“Allocations will depend on the amount of vaccine available,” Pratt added, saying the government was still on track to allocate enough vaccine for about 20 million people to receive their first doses by year’s end. “Each week, OWS will let states know how many doses are available to order against for the coming week.”

tl;dr: Pfizer is making and storing millions of doses within the US, but the federal government isn't picking them up and distributing them properly.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The changes prompted concern in health departments across the country about whether Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s vaccine...

tl;dr: Pfizer is making and storing millions of doses within the US, but the federal government isn't picking them up and distributing them properly.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article247930830.html

3 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Odd alternate world. Trump won and isn't throwing a tamper tantrum and is distributing the vaccine without hiccups. 

Good god I hated typing that out, but phasing into the better timeline is causing this one to come to a full fucked up head. 

:guillotine:

Holy shit, the Moderna vaccine was created in two days, the rest of the wait has just been testing. That's sci fi technobabble "run the virus through the computer to create a vaccine" level shit.

Utilizing mRNA vaccine technology meant Pfizer and Moderna only needed the coronavirus' genetic sequence to make a vaccine — no live virus had to be cultured and grown in labs. That's why they were able to progress in record time. In contrast, for most traditional vaccine platforms, the process can take years.

5fb6b9bb32f2170011f701a9?width=1200&form
WWW.BUSINESSINSIDER.COM

The biotech newcomer designed its vaccine, which is highly effective, over two days in January — before many people had heard of the coronavirus.

• Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

Holy shit, the Moderna vaccine was created in two days, the rest of the wait has just been testing. That's sci fi technobabble "run the virus through the computer to create a vaccine" level shit.

I mean, that's exactly what you do for most test development as well once you have the sequence.  The computer can find the best part of the sequence (and in the vaccine's case protein that is created from the gene sequence) that will be the most helpful for what you want to do.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The changes prompted concern in health departments across the country about whether Operation Warp Speed, the Trump administration’s vaccine...

It seems to be a little deeper than that

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, johnny said:

This is all SoCal's fault

So many assholes move around my building, including the elevator, maskless. Still seeing tons of fuckwits using bandanas as face coverings. I know a lot of my social circle here complied with the initial lockdown but have been getting together maskless since at least Memorial Day. 

This ultimately stops at the federal government. Restaurants, hotels, strip clubs, concert venues, and movie theaters, which are collectively a massive part of the economy, are dying at an alarming rate that will take years to come back from. Without another stimulus bill, local governments are breaking under the pressure to keep them open, which is why I'm still working.

The shitty part is that, thankfully, a lot of people do still stay home, so those businesses are still dying, just slower. If we actually passed a stimulus bill and forced everything to close with a safety net, we'd be able to bounce back faster and more effectively.

It just sucks that we seem to have a group of a handful of individuals in congress that are seemingly okay with watching the world burn if the other side gets blamed for it.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

So many assholes move around my building, including the elevator, maskless. Still seeing tons of fuckwits using bandanas as face coverings. I know a lot of my social circle here complied with the initial lockdown but have been getting together maskless since at least Memorial Day. 

Lockdown fatigue is definitely a thing. I know in my house (I live with 7 roommates) we were initially really strict on our outside interactions. By around July, when a few of us were back to work and whatnot, things started to get a little more lax. Now there's like someone coming over and hanging out outside without a mask on pretty much every day. My little brother, who lives in Rome, sent me a video last week of him and like 7 or 8 of his friends all drinking together without masks on, while Italy is in lockdown.

People are fatalistic, ignorant, or simply don't care anymore. It sucks, but at the same time, it's understandable. People, as a rule, aren't very good at weighing the value of long term gain vs. short term satisfaction. Months on end without normal social interaction starts to eventually feel like prison, even for introverts, and eventually the part of your brain that values those external things that don't benefit yourself immediately breaks down.

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Lockdown fatigue is definitely a thing. I know in my house (I live with 7 roommates) we were initially really strict on our outside interactions. By around July, when a few of us were back to work and whatnot, things started to get a little more lax. Now there's like someone coming over and hanging out outside without a mask on pretty much every day. My little brother, who lives in Rome, sent me a video last week of him and like 7 or 8 of his friends all drinking together without masks on, while Italy is in lockdown.

People are fatalistic, ignorant, or simply don't care anymore. It sucks, but at the same time, it's understandable. People, as a rule, aren't very good at weighing the value of long term gain vs. short term satisfaction. Months on end without normal social interaction starts to eventually feel like prison, even for introverts, and eventually the part of your brain that values those external things that don't benefit yourself immediately breaks down.

lol, no, its been pretty fucking fantastic that i haven't had to do anything with anyone outside of work, there are a lot of people that classify themselves as introverts when they are absolutely not.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

lol, no, its been pretty fucking fantastic that i haven't had to do anything with anyone outside of work, there are a lot of people that classify themselves as introverts when they are absolutely not.

Being introverted means that being around people tires you out, not that you dislike being around people. I'm fine just going work-gym-home and not doing anything during the week, it would actively drive me crazy doing things every day, but getting stuck hanging out by myself on the weekend is depressing.

It sounds like you actually dislike being around people.

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It's not exactly like it's binary concept, it's a spectrum. I, generally, would classify myself as an introvert. Social interaction exhausts me, I need to get away from people to "recharge" as it were. But I still crave interaction sometimes. I have a roommate who is like you, covid lockdown basically changed nothing for him. He already worked from home and hardly ever leaves the house outside of grocery shopping, so he was totally down with everything. I know other people that feed on social interaction, and being alone drains them mentally.

You can't just say "you're not an introvert if you sometimes like being around people."

edit: me and Jason, same page

This year has definitely helped me understand myself a little better. I generally kept to myself, visited my sister once a week, and didn’t really go “out” all that often pre-COVID. But I did like to sit in a coffee shop all morning on a day off, or go to a meetup at a bar where even if I wasn’t really engaging that much, I was around friendly people. Not having that once a week or two has been rough. 

• Like 1