~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Isn’t the “natural immunity” only 3-9 months or am I grossly misinformed? 

We know it lasts at least 9 months because that's how long we've been able to study it so far. However, it appears to be similar to SARS (the virus), and that one provoked 10+ year immunity in those who got it. There have been a handful of people globally (out of tens of millions) who have caught it a second time, but that happens with any contagious illness—some people's immune systems just don't work properly. I am fairly optimistic (and researchers are as well) that the virus and vaccine will both provide 10+ years of immunity.

What I'm curious about is if the vaccine for this coronavirus will create any cross-immunity for other coronaviruses like the common cold. Obviously too early to tell on this, and the tech for this vaccine is different than the flu vaccines mind you, but the seasonal flu vaccine gives you some protection against similar strands of the flu at least temporarily. 

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

What I'm curious about is if the vaccine for this coronavirus will create any cross-immunity for other coronaviruses like the common cold. Obviously too early to tell on this, and the tech for this vaccine is different than the flu vaccines mind you, but the seasonal flu vaccine gives you some protection against similar strands of the flu at least temporarily. 

Likewise I wonder if people exposed to the 2002-2004 SARS have any lingering immunity to COVID-19.

Just now, Jason said:

Likewise I wonder if people exposed to the 2002-2004 SARS have any lingering immunity to COVID-19.

This has been suggested as a possible reason for why the virus has not really spread well in East Asian countries. Just a theory at this point, however.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

This has been suggested as a possible reason for why the virus has not really spread well in East Asian countries. Just a theory at this point, however.

Only like 8k people got the first SARS tho

It seems to have made east asian countries take epidemiology and public health more seriously than us though.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

What % of the US has had COVID already? Probably a good estimate is take the official account and x2, so that would be around 30 million (so around 9%). So if you can get 60% of the pop to take the vaccine, that's 69%, which is probably enough for herd immunity to kick in (assuming 90-95% effective vaccine) to stop the spread. I mean, another 10-20% of the US will have likely had the virus by then anyway.

Nice.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
fdny-trucks-zp-ps-201207_1607354389382_h
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

More than 50% of New York City firefighters said in a survey that they would not take a COVID-19 vaccine.

They really need to clamp down on this shit.

Don’t want to get the vaccine? You get sent home and don’t get paid until you do.

7 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Don’t want to get the vaccine? You get sent home and don’t get paid until you do.

They'll do what their crybaby cop brothers do: refuse to work to the detriment of the public because they're being held accountable. 

• Guillotine 2

10 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Yeah I think government employees shouldn't have a choice, except if they can prove they could have an adverse reaction or are immuno-compromised in a way that a vaccine could be dangerous. This applies doubly to people working in healthcare and first responders.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah I think government employees shouldn't have a choice, except if they can prove they could have an adverse reaction or are immuno-compromised in a way that a vaccine could be dangerous. This applies doubly to people working in healthcare and first responders.

Govt: "here's your ticket to the front of the line to protect yourself and your community from an incurable virus because we know how important you job is to the safety and functioning of the community, something you remind us of all the time"

These chuds: "lol nah fake gyna virus get fucked lib cuck government"

29 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

If you ever watch Live Rescue on A&E, you'll see a terrifying number of first responders without PPE.  In some departments, you'll see some wearing it and others not.  It's pretty horrific wondering how many peoples lives they have put in danger when those on the front line should be the most responsible.  

1 minute ago, vaxick said:

Of course this happened.  We shouldn't even be surprised at this point Trump went the extra mile to ensure more Americans die and our economic troubles will be extended. 

They were probably going to just vaccinate the 1% and let everyone else fend for themselves, being too stupid to realize the vaccine won't work well for them either unless the vast majority of people get it.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

They were probably going to just vaccinate the 1% and let everyone else fend for themselves, being too stupid to realize the vaccine won't work well for them either unless the vast majority of people get it.

I'm sure plenty of them are galavanting around New Zealand with Gabe Newell at this point.  

Just now, vaxick said:

I'm sure plenty of them are galavanting around New Zealand with Gabe Newell at this point.  

Man, talk about being lucky as shit both getting stranded in New Zealand at the start of this and having the money to just decide to stay indefinitely. 

16 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

I see the vaccine like the PS5 launch.

I am not an anti-vaxxer at all, but since there is limited supply I am not going to throat punch someone on Black Friday to score one.

I'll get one when it's readily available and consider others beta testing it a bit as a nice side effect....

25 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I see the vaccine like the PS5 launch.

I am not an anti-vaxxer at all, but since there is limited supply I am not going to throat punch someone on Black Friday to score one.

I'll get one when it's readily available and consider others beta testing it a bit as a nice side effect....

The use of beta tester is kind of numb in this setup because beta testers where those taking the phase 2&3 trials.

:)