~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

During the pandemic in October 1918 an average of ~6300 people died every day that month. We've topped the 9/11 daily death toll and cases just keep going up. I really hope we don't reach the level of the 1918 wave, but I'm not exactly full of hope

More people died today from COVID than during the battle of Gettysburg.  

• Sad 2

This has nothing to do with anything, but Gettysburg getting mentioned reminded me of it: I learned recently that while the Civil War resulted in the most American deaths of any war, World War I was actually by far the deadliest for the average soldier on the front. 620,000 Americans died in the Civil War, but the war lasted for over 4 years. Only 116,000 Americans died in The Great War, but the key is that the bulk of American forces were only committed to battle for just over 5 months. It was a meat grinder.

Carry on.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

This has nothing to do with anything, but Gettysburg getting mentioned reminded me of it: I learned recently that while the Civil War resulted in the most American deaths of any war, World War I was actually by far the deadliest for the average soldier on the front. 620,000 Americans died in the Civil War, but the war lasted for over 4 years. Only 116,000 Americans died in The Great War, but the key is that the bulk of American forces were only committed to battle for just over 5 months. It was a meat grinder.

Carry on.

Although disease and infections were still a big killer of American military members during WWI, I have no doubt that the non-stop shelling and trench warfare was absolutely brutal compared to the near civility of the big battles of the Civil War. 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

We're gunning for the Antietam number next. Then, galveston.

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Carry on.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Although disease and infections were still a big killer of American military members during WWI, I have no doubt that the non-stop shelling and trench warfare was absolutely brutal compared to the near civility of the big battles of the Civil War. 

Time to drop a recommendation for the podcast Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon which covers world war 1 in a way I've never heard before. Very engaging, though it is lengthy.

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We're gunning for the Antietam number next. Then, galveston.

Time to drop a recommendation for the podcast Hardcore History - Blueprint for Armageddon which covers world war 1 in a way I've never heard before. Very engaging, though it is lengthy.

Blueprint for Armageddon is amazing and horrifying.  I'd recommend everyone listen to it. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

And more than Pearl Harbor.

And more than 9/11.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Wait, this isn't true...

3,000+ is the Union casualties. The Confederates lost over 4,000. 

17 hours ago, Bacon said:

I have reached new levels of taste loss. It feels like I have reached negatives levels. One on hand, it is kinda neat to experience the loss of two senses to this extreme, but it mostly sucks pretty badly. I don't really have much desire to eat or even drink. 

Yeah this happened to my friend. Lost like 15 pounds in two weeks because he just didn’t feel like eating. 

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

NJ health official said we could hit 12k cases per day in January in NJ based kn the current trend. :/ 

Moderate and worst case predictions for the coming months in NJ by health officials:

C227-ED3-A-48-D8-4026-80-AD-B1-ABA65-FA8

862982-DC-7871-4-EEA-8-FE6-7775-DF1-BCD4

Neither is good :/ 

Murphy seriously needs to shut (at least SOME) things down.