~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

20 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We're in great shape here!

How many states would compare favorably to South Korea? I've only really followed the 3 Ohio tristate area states as far as state by state numbers go. Ohio and Indiana make Virginia's numbers look not so bad.

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

How many states would compare favorably to South Korea? I've only really followed the 3 Ohio tristate area states as far as state by state numbers go. Ohio and Indiana make Virginia's numbers look not so bad.

Absolutely none, but that's not necessarily a complete reflection on the leadership of that state

13 hours ago, Jason said:

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

stephen colbert middle finger GIF

https://www.wwno.org/post/people-hell-want-ice-water-too-sen-kennedy-opposes-bailouts-local-and-state-governments

A representative of Sen. Kennedy is disputing The Hill's report. She said the senator made the statement in question about various bills for state and local funding, not stimulus checks.  The Hill later updated its story to say there had been a "misunderstanding about the question."  WWNO/WRKF has changed its headline and story to reflect that. 

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Remember when we were locking down to “flatten the curve”? Why are we supposed to continue locking down indefinitely?

Well for one we haven't, unless you're in the NYC area daily cases have mostly been increasing across the country, meaning opening back up is likely going to lead to exponential growth again, except now its going to be in healthcare deserts with older populations.  Plus we don't have testing to detect if the infection spirals out of control somewhere till the hospital fills up.

12 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Well for one we haven't, unless you're in the NYC area daily cases have mostly been increasing across the country, meaning opening back up is likely going to lead to exponential growth again, except now its going to be in healthcare deserts with older populations.  Plus we don't have testing to detect if the infection spirals out of control somewhere till the hospital fills up.

Think back to what the repeatedly states goal of flattening the curve was. Even in NYC we never had an issue with the curve going over the healthcare capacity, and those NY state and city dopes did nearly everything wrong to make it get out of control.

I mean, just the subway schedule reductions and the absolutely insane policy Cuomo instituted requiring Covid positive nursing home patients to be returned to their nursing homes for care. That second part alone should invalidate any claim that Cuomo is doing a good job.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Think back to what the repeatedly states goal of flattening the curve was. Even in NYC we never had an issue with the curve going over the healthcare capacity, and those NY state and city dopes did nearly everything wrong to make it get out of control.

I mean, just the subway schedule reductions and the absolutely insane policy Cuomo instituted requiring Covid positive nursing home patients to be returned to their nursing homes for care. That second part alone should invalidate any claim that Cuomo is doing a good job.

K.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You don't know a troll when you see one

If he was a real troll, he would do this....

On 5/4/2020 at 2:47 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Density is irrelevant. Jfc

On 5/4/2020 at 4:36 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If there's one grocery store per ten thousand people, it doesn't matter if it is in rural Idaho or NYC. It's still one per ten thousand. Some of the worst per capita outbreaks are in places with a lot of proximate crowding--meat packing facilities, nursing homes, prisons--that are often in communities that are not dense. This is why when a state goes into lockdown, the rules are consistent throughout the very diverse state, and not one set of rules for cities and another for rural areas. No large gatherings, social distancing, stay at home, etc. In NYC, if we ran many more buses and trains than we normally do (so we wouldn't have to crowd) and enforced social distancing and masks, we could still have a somewhat safe and functional transit sustem that reduces the chance of transmission!

And if actual density mattered, density as in persons per square mile, the US would be doing fantastic while Western Europe and South Korea would be completely overrun. This simply isn't the case.

19 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Leave epidemiology to epidemiologists, not a glorified baseball statistician

:troll:

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

K.

Where did we have healthcare capacity run short in America? Remember the 40,000 ventilators NY absolutely needed even with the lockdown?

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Where did we have healthcare capacity run short in America? Remember the 40,000 ventilators NY absolutely needed even with the lockdown?

There were repeated articles about how COVID units were so full that patients stood in the hallway and shared IVs, that certainly qualifies as ‘running short’. 

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Listen chucklefuck, 21 thousand people have died in my state, with hundreds more each day, they were storing bodies in containers outside hospitals and transporting them in U-hauls.  That sound good?  Want that in your state?  

• Haha 1

Jesus Christ - the tweet is a complete misinterpretation of the nature of the executive order.

The EO is an extension of the governor's emergency authority for 30 days and there has been a practically identical message per day since March.

It does NOT mean the "New York Pause" has been extended for 30 days.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1258905504438521857.html

Dear friends, I am currently hangry and it has been a long week, both of which are signs that I should step away from the keyboard. But I’m not. I would like to go on a profanity laced tirade. I apologize in advance 

When did the conservative movement get filled with a bunch of whiny little bitches? Muh freedom! They are making me wear a mask. OMG I can’t go get drunk at my favorite restaurant. Give me liberty or give me coronavirus. Good grief. You people are grifty whiners. 

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Listen chucklefuck, 21 thousand people have died in my state, with hundreds more each day, they were storing bodies in containers outside hospitals and transporting them in U-hauls.  That sound good?  Want that in your state?  

So appeals to emotion and insults. You really have no argument.

2 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

Jesus Christ - the tweet is a complete misinterpretation of the nature of the executive order.

The EO is an extension of the governor's emergency authority for 30 days and there has been a practically identical one of them per day since March.

It does NOT mean the "New York Pause" has been extended for 30 days.

Pennsylvania did the same thing. The Pennsyltucky part of the state is in the yellow level now, while Philly and the surrounding burbs are still in the red because a bunch of stupid yuppies in the city decided to have house parties and think they don’t need to wear masks.

I both love and hate my city. 

How about this?  Either we are FAR more careful in what tweets we post in this thread or I make an explicit prohibition on tweets that are not actual news stories or are someone's interpretation of a news story.

Or, I just ban the posting of tweets in this thread period.  Because that is the stage that I'm at!

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don't know. Having to rent freezer trucks to store bodies and set up field hospitals in Central Park really sounds like running past capacity. Once this starts to really hot more rural parts of the country, I wonder if they'll have the ability to do the same.

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't know. Having to rent freezer trucks to store bodies and set up field hospitals in Central Park really sounds like running past capacity. Once this starts to really hot more rural parts of the country, I wonder if they'll have the ability to do the same.

That isn’t running out of capacity, temporary hospitals are part of dynamic capacity. And it turns out they weren’t even needed. Look at how quick they sent the hospital ship away.

24 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Dear friends, I am currently hangry and it has been a long week, both of which are signs that I should step away from the keyboard. But I’m not. I would like to go on a profanity laced tirade. I apologize in advance 

When did the conservative movement get filled with a bunch of whiny little bitches? Muh freedom! They are making me wear a mask. OMG I can’t go get drunk at my favorite restaurant. Give me liberty or give me coronavirus. Good grief. You people are grifty whiners. 

Under my rule, anyone using the word "hangry" will be shot.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Pennsylvania did the same thing. The Pennsyltucky part of the state is in the yellow level now, while Philly and the surrounding burbs are still in the red because a bunch of stupid yuppies in the city decided to have house parties and think they don’t need to wear masks.

I both love and hate my city. 

I'm in a suburb of Harrisburg, and I'm still in the red here.  I've heard reports that the southwest part of state (including the Pittsburgh area) may also go down to Yellow level next week.

26 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

How about this?  Either we are FAR more careful in what tweets we post in this thread or I make an explicit prohibition on tweets that are not actual news stories or are someone's interpretation of a news story.

Or, I just ban the posting of tweets in this thread period.  Because that is the stage that I'm at!

This kills the @Jason

31 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I thought you were saying you were hangry at first and I was like, ah makes sense. Being hangry is dangerous, fam.

56 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t running out of capacity, temporary hospitals are part of dynamic capacity. And it turns out they weren’t even needed. Look at how quick they sent the hospital ship away.

Who do you think is working in these field hospitals? You think states like New York and Massachusetts just have tons of extra doctors and nurses just sitting around just in case there's a new hospital opened up in a college somewhere they now have to manage? Sure, we're not at capacity at these cases because we're running medical staffs on double and triple shifts to keep up with demand.