~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 minutes ago, elbobo said:

one of my good friends is a teacher in upstate NY where I live, they are talking about furloughing teachers which is illegal based on their contract but Cuomo is probably going to try it anyways

Wouldn't make sense either, the money is already budgeted and spent, not like it would save anyone money to not pay them, especially when they all go find jobs at other districts.

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

one of my good friends is a teacher in upstate NY where I live, they are talking about furloughing teachers which is illegal based on their contract but Cuomo is probably going to try it anyways

Why wouldn't they use the teachers to coordinate distance learning with all of the kids? In my division the teachers are still handing out assignments, sending videos, etc, online. For kids that don't have home computers, we are loaning them laptops they would have had access to in school (HP Streams, not great, but still Windows 10 with full office suite, etc). So far I think we've lent out about 400 or 500. It would be harder if a school division doesn't have the tech infrastructure, but you can still email stuff out to parents and hope the kids will follow.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Why wouldn't they use the teachers to coordinate distance learning with all of the kids? In my division the teachers are still handing out assignments, sending videos, etc, online. For kids that don't have home computers, we are loaning them laptops they would have had access to in school (HP Streams, not great, but still Windows 10 with full office suite, etc). So far I think we've lent out about 400 or 500. It would be harder if a school division doesn't have the tech infrastructure, but you can still email stuff out to parents and hope the kids will follow.

because NY is dumb but also distance learning isn't working out to great from what I am hearing. My one friend who I mentioned teaches in an inner city school and pre-COVID if he is missing 25% of his kids physically in class on a day that is a good day, when it comes to distance learning he says maybe a third are doing anything. I have another friend that teaches in affluent suburb 10 miles away and even he says that online attendance is poor. 

So my wife has quite a few of the symptoms.  She went to the doc the other day and the doctor said she's not a candidate to get tested.  The doctor did say that it might be a bacterial infection of some kind, so she was prescribed some antibiotics.  4 days later, her condition hasn't improved and now has chest discomfort.  So now she is at the ER - which we were trying to avoid.  She just called me and she said the ER will not test her either because they are only testing people over the age of 60 or if they live in a group home.  They are going to do some diagnostics over the next few hours.  I stayed home with our daughter. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 8

14 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

So my wife has quite a few of the symptoms.  She went to the doc the other day and the doctor said she's not a candidate to get tested.  The doctor did say that it might be a bacterial infection of some kind, so she was prescribed some antibiotics.  4 days later, her condition hasn't improved and now has chest discomfort.  So now she is at the ER - which we were trying to avoid.  She just called me and she said the ER will not test her either because they are only testing people over the age of 60 or if they live in a group home.  They are going to do some diagnostics over the next few hours.  I stayed home with our daughter. 

Hope she is OK, but there really isn’t anything for them to do besides meds to treat the symptoms, right? 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Hope she is OK, but there really isn’t anything for them to do besides meds to treat the symptoms, right? 

That's true. 

If she doesn't have it, which we hope, she's at elevated risk of getting it in a crowded ER with people who do have the virus.  Additionally, it's frustrating that they aren't testing people who are under 60 years old.  

10 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

That's true. 

If she doesn't have it, which we hope, she's at elevated risk of getting it in a crowded ER with people who do have the virus.  Additionally, it's frustrating that they aren't testing people who are under 60 years old.  

What state are you in where they are only testing those over 60?

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

I hope she is able to recover and doesn't have anything more serious. :(

This is common knowledge to me (as I lived it), but for some of you it may be eye opening.  TLDR:  The reactor department on the TR got hit HARD, and that's the likely reason the Captain decided to write the letter.  You can't simply stick someone else in the reactor operator's seat and run the ship.  It takes years of training to be a reactor operator, along with almost every other senior watch in the power plant of an aircraft carrier or submarine.

Edit: Not only is it impossible to practice social distancing in the berthing areas of a ship, it's also impossible for the people who operate the reactor plant to do so.  You have 5 people (4 enlisted and 1 officer) in a space that is about the size of a small bedroom.  They cannot operate the plant from anywhere else. 

Trump Retweets a "Fire Fauci" Tweet

President Donald Trump retweeted a call to fire Dr. Anthony Fauci, the US government's top infectious disease doctor who has so far lasted six presidential administrations, to his 76.8 million followers.

On Sunday, Trump, who is in damage control mode over the US's slow response to dealing with the COVID-19, reshared a tweet about firing Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984 and one of the top experts on Trump's coronavirus task force, who helped tackle the AIDS, Zika, and Ebola epidemics.

The tweet, which was written by Republican DeAnna Lorraine who is running for Congress, said: "Fauci is now saying that had Trump listened to the medical experts earlier he could've saved more lives. Fauci was telling people on February 29th that there was nothing to worry about and it posed no threat to the US public at large." Lorraine's tweet included a hashtag that said: "Time to #FireFauci."

He's gonna fire him this week isn't he?

• Guillotine 2