~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

The only problem with this one is a lot of people physically can't do it. For example, Shatner had to always use his other hand to arrange the fingers properly off-camera.

I trained my hands to do it as a kid. I couldn’t do it normally. Now I can do it no effort. Maybe if somebody’s hands are deformed or too arthritic. Other than that, no excuse. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The only problem with this one is a lot of people physically can't do it. For example, Shatner had to always use his other hand to arrange the fingers properly off-camera.

Those who can't do it can just continue to shake hands and let Darwin sort them out. :p 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

OH SHIT. Irvington makes Newark look like a playground lol. It's close to Newark though, isn't it? Maybe you can still get a delivery there.

Yeah it's right next door... Irvington was a shit hole when I was growing up and it's even worse now. Newark, Hillside, Union and Maplewood should just absorb it. It's only a couple of miles anyway. But those are ROUGH miles.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:52 AM, Emperor Diocletian II said:

My client's husband was released from the hospital last night.  They suspect he contracted it from an Uber ride and he took a rapid turn for the worse last Tuesday (day 13) and was put in the ICU.  The doctors thought they would have to put him on a ventilator but his condition stabilized so that was narrowly avoided.  His recovery is gonna be along one though.

Not-so-great news: he was re-admitted to hospital last night.

I really don't have any further information as to what prompted that to happen.

• Sad 1

There's been some push back (from right-wing, and online people) against Trudeau's "negativity" for saying that society will not return to normal for years, and that many things we want to do (e.g. mass sporting events, large gatherings, etc) won't be possible for a long time, even as other restrictions may loosen. Lots of people don't want to face reality.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-texas-covid19-cases-update/269-f1c36a64-eedc-4d08-bf40-97c62ffcb39b

Executive order to re-open businesses in Texas could be coming as early as next week.

Edit - Texas isn't expected to hit their peak daily cases until May: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

• Guillotine 3

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

They are treating some COVID-19 patients with an antibiotic fyi.

Oh I know. But do you think it's more likely that Trump is talking about preventing opportunistic infection while on a ventilator...or that he doesn't understand the difference between bacteria and viruses?

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If it happens (which looks like it will. . .idiots) I would use them as EXHIBIT #A for how a 2nd wave can somehow be worse then the initial wave. I tend to think if he does this soon, he is going to get so many more people sick/killed, and should be held responsible/accountable for manslaughter

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-texas-covid19-cases-update/269-f1c36a64-eedc-4d08-bf40-97c62ffcb39b

Executive order to re-open businesses in Texas could be coming as early as next week.

Edit - Texas isn't expected to hit their peak daily cases until May: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

RIP Texas

@Jose finally snagged a delivery slot just now. :sun: I'd been looking intermittently the last few days but almost certainly not consistently at the top of the hour like you'd suggested (probably did it a few times by happenstance, hence the ones I narrowly missed out on).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Maybe a stupid question here. I know reopening would likely vastly increase the overall infected/dead, but would it speed up or slow down the projections for a peak?

My first reaction here was going to joke with you, "Well if they reopen their peak is going to take a lot longer than May!" but then I realized I didn't know if the lack of social distancing would cause a non-stop cycle of transmission that would make the peak later, or if it would speed things up and cause a peak that is in April, but incredibly high all at once.

15 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

RIP Texas

Everything's deader in Texas.

46 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

PLEASE THINK OF THE STONKS!!!!!

32 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Maybe a stupid question here. I know reopening would likely vastly increase the overall infected/dead, but would it speed up or slow down the projections for a peak?

My first reaction here was going to joke with you, "Well if they reopen their peak is going to take a lot longer than May!" but then I realized I didn't know if the lack of social distancing would cause a non-stop cycle of transmission that would make the peak later, or if it would speed things up and cause a peak that is in April, but incredibly high all at once.

Everything's deader in Texas.

The peak will hit a bit sooner than with weak controls (and a bit later than with continued lock down), but would likely be devastating. Like, hugely so. No controls controls could result in 10 to 20 times the death. Weak controls could lead to 5 to 15 times the deaths. And if there are still constant outbreaks and deaths, people aren't going to be out at restaurants, etc.

J5WdAXB.png

• Thanks 1

I know most people find Comcast to be a rather odious company...because generally they are, but I got a call from Comcast today and they voluntarily waived our next three months of bills at the theater AND my house due to the theater being shut down. I feel like if we all just acted with a generous spirit towards one another here, we will be fine.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

This is infuriating, and I’m a Texas business owner. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

but I got a call from Comcast today and they voluntarily waived our next three months of bills at the theater AND my house due to the theater being shut down

tl;dr big business helping out big business 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is infuriating, and I’m a Texas business owner. 

Especially so because...are all businesses even going to open, assuming that that daily infection and death rate remains high? He could lift restrictions, but he can't force people to go to restaurants, or even for the restaurants to open.

There was a significant drop in restaurant traffic before any of the lockdown orders went into effect. There absolutely will not be huge crowds at restaurants again just because they're reopened for business. Although I could definitely see a certain subset of people making a big show of going out as a "own the libs" sort of thing. The pandemic equivalent of rolling coal.

I can't sleep so watching some news summaries on YouTube. With the announcement that nearly 9000 people have died in the UK, looking at the infection rate vs deaths, if you get Covid-19 here, there's a 13% chance you'll die from it. Compare that to America's 4% and...:nervous:

Depending on reporting of deaths of course.

2 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I can't sleep so watching some new summaries on YouTube. With the announcement that nearly 9000 people have died in the UK, looking at the infection rate vs deaths, if you get Covid-19 here, there's a 13% chance you'll die from it. Compare that to America's 4% and...:nervous:

The one thing I would say to that is the UK may not be testing as many low-symptomatic cases, so the mortality rate seems higher.

4 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I can't sleep so watching some new summaries on YouTube. With the announcement that nearly 9000 people have died in the UK, looking at the infection rate vs deaths, if you get Covid-19 here, there's a 13% chance you'll die from it. Compare that to America's 4% and...:nervous:

They're starting to do antibody tests in some places (so, seeing if you have had and recovered from the virus), and at least based on one study in Germany, it looks like the true Infection Fatality Rate is something like 0.3%. So that would include anybody who had it, including people who never had symptoms. I dunno if I can find the link, but I saw it this morning.

I think the Case Fatality Rate (so, the fatality rate of people testing positive for an active case with symptoms) is still believed to be somewhere between 1 and 2%. The reason why the US and UK %s are higher is because they're both way behind where they need to be in testing and they're missing huge swaths of cases.