~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

There's been some push back (from right-wing, and online people) against Trudeau's "negativity" for saying that society will not return to normal for years, and that many things we want to do (e.g. mass sporting events, large gatherings, etc) won't be possible for a long time, even as other restrictions may loosen. Lots of people don't want to face reality.

Enough people who seem to know what they're talking about seem positive enough about the possibilities of large-scale testing and contact tracking--to identify local outbreaks before they can get big--that I'm trying to stay hopeful that within a few months there's at least a chance that we could adapt to something close to normalcy. Here in the US, the government would still have to get its shit together and actually develop a plan for that.

But I'm definitely trying to keep myself in the mindset that we very well might stay in something like a semi-lockdown, or on-again-off-again lockdowns until people start getting vaccinated.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-texas-covid19-cases-update/269-f1c36a64-eedc-4d08-bf40-97c62ffcb39b

Executive order to re-open businesses in Texas could be coming as early as next week.

Edit - Texas isn't expected to hit their peak daily cases until May: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/texas

What the fuck. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I know most people find Comcast to be a rather odious company...because generally they are, but I got a call from Comcast today and they voluntarily waived our next three months of bills at the theater AND my house due to the theater being shut down. I feel like if we all just acted with a generous spirit towards one another here, we will be fine.

I just wish I could get ahold of someone to make sure my appointment is scheduled to get internet at the house. I always get taken to a line that no longer works when I call!

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Least I wasn't the only one. I have autoplay disabled on my browser. Autoplay is the fucking devil.

It auto played for me only when I scrolled over it. I could pause it but then it would auto play for every person who quoted it and then it auto played on the next page and the video wasn't even there and I had to refresh the page. :|  (I guess maybe in your quote it played even though it wasn't there?)

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It auto played for me only when I scrolled over it. I could pause it but then it would auto play for every person who quoted it and then it auto played on the next page and the video wasn't even there and I had to refresh the page. :|  (I guess maybe in your quote it played even though it wasn't there?)

I blocked it, that’s why it didn’t show up. Weird that it still played on your end, though. 

28 minutes ago, CayceG said:

A very good friend of mine is a nurse and has accepted a position to go to New York for 8 weeks. She will be in a hospital on Long island and it's prepared to bring her own supplemental ppe.

She leaves Wednesday.

I know a few PAs here in Portland, OR that are debating going. I guess they're paying something like 70k for eight weeks' work. :shock:

• Shocked 2

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the President really has no authority to lift state declarations of emergency, does he?

It’s actually an interesting question with regards to interstate commerce. I think that would be the argument the Trump WH would make, that the orders violate the ability of the federal government to regulate interstate commerce.

But I would say the basic understanding of our system is that, no, POTUS can’t override such things done by the states.

What he can do is use the bully pulpit to move public sentiment towards reopening too soon, and that could make it difficult for state’s to sustain the policies they’ve put in place.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It’s actually an interesting question with regards to interstate commerce. I think that would be the argument the Trump WH would make, that the orders violate the ability of the federal government to regulate interstate commerce.

But I would say the basic understanding of our system is that, no, POTUS can’t override such things done by the states.

What he can do is use the bully pulpit to move public sentiment towards reopening too soon, and that could make it difficult for state’s to sustain the policies they’ve put in place.

Unless the states are preventing trucks moving goods through the state it is really an intrastate issue and not an interstate issue. Bullying with public opinion is really his only option, since he’s not gonna send in the army to force bars and restaurants to open at gun point.   

31 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Unless the states are preventing trucks moving goods through the state it is really an intrastate issue and not an interstate issue. Bullying with public opinion is really his only option, since he’s not gonna send in the army to force bars and restaurants to open at gun point.   

There is plenty of SCOTUS precedent for supporting broad interpretation of commerce clause power even in instances where something wasn’t moving across state lines. Particularly during the Great Depression where the federal government and state governments clashed often on economic issues.

And the President has a pretty sympathetic SCOTUS at the moment.

Viruses have been named after locations in the past...and it was a bad idea then, too. One reason it was wrong is because you can get the source wrong. There is pretty widespread belief now that the Spanish Flu originated in the US and was spread to Europe by soldiers (where it then spread to the world). Also, would these same people have been okay with H1N1 being called the American Pig Flu?

Yes, China is flexing it's muscle. But that doesn't make it wrong.

27 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Viruses have been named after locations in the past...and it was a bad idea then, too. One reason it was wrong is because you can get the source wrong. There is pretty widespread belief now that the Spanish Flu originated in the US and was spread to Europe by soldiers (where it then spread to the world). Also, would these same people have been okay with H1N1 being called the American Pig Flu?

I don’t personally care what it’s called, but we shouldn’t be letting the Chinese government off the hook for how they handled this. The naming convention is just an example of how the WHO is bowing to the will of the Chinese government to remove culpability, even if it’s generally a good policy move. But there are many worse issues like how the Chinese government has lied about human to human transmission, which they likely knew of weeks prior to officially announcing it.

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

China has been a source of numerous viri over the last several decades -- and we need to shine a lens on those practices, to understand why it is happening, and to force them to fix it.  If calling it the Wuhan-flu contributes to that, it is something we should do.

There is also a massive difference between calling it the Chinese virus and calling it the Wuhan virus. If you want to call it the Wuhan virus, I am actually totally fine with that and would not consider it racist. Chinese virus is fucking stupid and should be called out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose said:

There is also a massive difference between calling it the Chinese virus and calling it the Wuhan virus. If you want to call it the Wuhan virus, I am actually totally fine with that and would not consider it racist. Chinese virus is fucking stupid and should be called out.

Why is calling it the Chinese virus racist?  Wuhan is the geographical state, China is the geographical country.

4 minutes ago, Jose said:

When I first heard about it at the end of December it was being called the Wuhan Coronavirus. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

When I first heard about it at the end of December it was being called the Wuhan Coronavirus. 

Exactly. I heard it too and calling it this will not incite violence. Changing the name to supposedly attack a government months after the fact is bs.