~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

@skillzdadirecta My Taiwanese sister-in-law lives in Taiwan. I don't anticipate she'll have to deal with too many racists on a day-to-day basis.

Ah, I misunderstood... I thought she lived in the States or around or another place where Asians would be considered a minority and would be vulnerable. My larger point stands though.

On another note, has anyone who's been qurantining noticed an increase in internet throttling? I think my paren't internet maybe being throttled right now. Also I didn't know that New Jersey was the number state in the country for broadband penetration.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What article did you link to? I don't see one in your response. I thought you were talking about the articles I linked.

This is the post you responded to with your explanation about when the fall and winter occur, which is why I said the article is more than it’s headline.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/04/coronavirus-circulating-california-2019-bunk.html

I’m getting really tired of having to explain to people that they didn’t have Covid in December or January. 

The article is really about tracing the virus by its genetic mutation. This is how they can pretty effectively rule out general time frames for infections in particular areas because they can see where in the mutation chain the localized spread fits. It is highly likely that every place had infections prior to the earliest confirmed case, but if the mutation of the virus in your community is further down the chain than one in another place, you can be sure it wasn’t in your locale before that one.

As we narrow down when those first infections happen earlier in the chain, it will become easier to figure out generally when those first infections happened later in the chain. But December and January are impossible in semi-rural south east Texas, and a whole lot of the rest of the country for wide spread to have occurred.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

This is the post you responded to with your explanation about when the fall and winter occur, which is why I said the article is more than it’s headline.

The article is really about tracing the virus by its genetic mutation. This is how they can pretty effectively rule out general time frames for infections in particular areas because they can see where in the mutation chain the localized spread fits. It is highly likely that every place had infections prior to the earliest confirmed case, but if the mutation of the virus in your community is further down the chain than one in another place, you can be sure it wasn’t in your locale before that one.

As we narrow down when those first infections happen earlier in the chain, it will become easier to figure out generally when those first infections happened later in the chain. But December and January are impossible in semi-rural south east Texas, and a whole lot of the rest of the country for wide spread to have occurred.

Oh that article... yeah I read that one which is why I linked to the NY Times article and Snopes. They seem a little less definitive than that Slate article because until widespread testing is done in the states and globally we just won't know for sure if it had been moving silently amongst populations and then exploded as weather conditions became more favorable for the virus to be more easily transmitted (One theory as to why Coronaviruses infection rate goes down in summer months) That said, folks in rural Eastern Texas probably were in the clear :p

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Speaking of January....  Remember this?

Yeah The Chinese GOVERNMENT has a LOT to answer for. The Chinese people and Asians in general? Not so much.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh that article... yeah I read that one which is why I linked to the NY Times article and Snopes. They seem a little less definitive than that Slate article because until widespread testing is done in the states and globally we just won't know for sure if it had been moving silently amongst populations and then exploded as weather conditions became more favorable for the virus to be more easily transmitted (One theory as to why Coronaviruses infection rate goes down in summer months) That said, folks in rural Eastern Texas probably were in the clear :p

Yeah The Chinese GOVERNMENT has a LOT to answer for. The Chinese people and Asians in general? Not so much.

I've never suggested anything different.

On a slight tangent, we just received an advertisement/fake newspaper edition for "The Epoch Times" -- which appears to be a right-wing website/paper run by ex-Chinese nationals (in Canada at least).  It purports to be Canada's largest Chinese language newspaper (with editions in English and French as well).  The op-ed on the front page suggested we call it the CCP virus (Chinese Communist Party virus).

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

On a slight tangent, we just received an advertisement/fake newspaper edition for "The Epoch Times" -- which appears to be a right-wing website/paper run by ex-Chinese nationals (in Canada at least).  It purports to be Canada's largest Chinese language newspaper (with editions in English and French as well).  The op-ed on the front page suggested we call it the CCP virus (Chinese Communist Party virus).

Let’s just call it “Winnie the Pooh virus” and call it a day.

Horror story out of Quebec:

Over a hundred abandoned seniors in a private care home. Some dead, some trapped on the floor, many in overflowing diapers. Only 2 orderlies remained working for 134 patients, the rest abandoned the facility after they ran out of PPE.

This was a place that charges $10,000 a month. 24 residents died in the two weeks before the police were called.

Edit - the owner of the facility owns two others, and it looks like the major crimes division is now involved.

• Sad 2

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Over a hundred abandoned seniors in a private care home. Some dead, some trapped on the floor, many in overflowing diapers. Only 2 orderlies remained working for 134 patients, the rest abandoned the facility after they ran out of PPE.

This was a place that charges $10,000 a month. 24 residents died in the two weeks before the police were called.

Edit - the owner of the facility owns two others, and it looks like the major crimes division is now involved.

The owner gets the dull guillotine 

45 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Reason 376 why community based care needs to be the default, not nursing homes. That kind of money can buy amazing care. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Nobody should be reading that shitty paper. I'm pretty sure that paper is why my father in law has been pro trump since being here in Canada. :| 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Well it was January 14th. I think no one had any idea what to think of this virus at that point. A few days after this the Chinese authorities figured out not only was human to human transmission possible, but it was actually extremely contagious, and this combined with the high case fatality rate caused China to shit bricks and lock down Wuhan. 

Or, you know cHiNa LiEs. 

1 minute ago, SilentWorld said:

Well it was January 14th. I think no one had any idea what to think of this virus at that point. A few days after this the Chinese authorities figured out not only was human to human transmission possible, but it was actually extremely contagious, and this combined with the high case fatality rate caused China to shit bricks and lock down Wuhan. 

Or, you know cHiNa LiEs. 

Plenty of reason to believe they knew before this based on scientists who have since been disappeared there. 

Why do you buy all their propaganda :lol:

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah, I misunderstood... I thought she lived in the States or around or another place where Asians would be considered a minority and would be vulnerable. My larger point stands though.

On another note, has anyone who's been qurantining noticed an increase in internet throttling? I think my paren't internet maybe being throttled right now. Also I didn't know that New Jersey was the number state in the country for broadband penetration.

Too bad it wasn't the alphabet state.

42 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Nobody should be reading that shitty paper. I'm pretty sure that paper is why my father in law has been pro trump since being here in Canada. :| 

The ad went pretty quickly in my recycling bin.  Not sure if it came here because of the previous owners, or if it was distributed to everyone.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The Chinese government should be called out by the world to shut down their wet markets. We shouldn't have to be quiet about where the virus came from and why it exists because some people are racists. The Chinese government hid what it was from the world and allows these markets to exist. Fuck 'em. I'm hoping no one forgets.

With that said, it doesn't do any good to focus too much on this right now. We want someone to be angry at and it's obvious who, but too many people are still suffering for us to be angry and lose sight of what is still in front of us. We have to actually beat the virus, and people need help now. 

The vast majority of people I’ve seen who want to call it Chinese flu or whatever have no problem whatsoever conflating the Chinese government (who deserve massive blame for their role in the pandemic) and Asian people generally (who obviously do not)

I don’t care what it’s called but there is a damn good correlation between people who can’t stop calling it Wuhan flu and those that are pretty ok with racial based hatred. This  isn’t a hill to die on here

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The vast majority of people I’ve seen who want to call it Chinese flu or whatever have no problem whatsoever conflating the Chinese government (who deserve massive blame for their role in the pandemic) and Asian people generally (who obviously do not)

I don’t care what it’s called but there is a damn good correlation between people who can’t stop calling it Wuhan flu and those that are pretty ok with racial based hatred. This  isn’t a hill to die on here

I agree, but that's because PC and liberal minded people are more likely to listen to what WHO and others have said to start calling it. I call it the novel corona virus if I refer to it normally. But it's worth thinking about whether it really should be considered inappropriate to call the virus by a name based on where it crossed into humans and broke out.  We have often called viruses after where they originated throughout history. In this case, there is some utility in doing so if it pressures China to clean their mess up. 

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

I agree, but that's because PC and liberal minded people are more likely to listen to what WHO and others have said to start calling it. I call it the novel corona virus if I refer to it normally. But it's worth thinking about whether it really should be considered inappropriate to call the virus by a name based on where it crossed into humans and broke out.  We have often called viruses after where they originated throughout history. In this case, there is some utility in doing so if it pressures China to clean their mess up. 

Literally name calling won't do a damn thing to put pressure on China

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

"Preliminary investigations" "no clear evidence" Seems obvious they did not know wtf was going on yet.

Scientists in China were saying human to human transmission had occurred in late December. They knew. And look at what is going on now where the government is requiring all research to be vetted by the government before universities publish with regard to Coronavirus. They have been and continue to desperately control the narrative about what happened and when because the truth hurts their standing on the world stage.

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I get it...but it hasn't applied to the US, either,.at least to the same extent as the rest of the world. The Spanish Flu likely started in the US, yet it's not called the Kansas Flu (where the first confirmed case was traced to). H1N1 swine flu was from the US, yet it's not called the American Pig Flu.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/04/11/de-blasio-doesnt-back-down-on-nyc-school-closures-after-cuomo-heat/amp/

Mayor Bill de Blasio stood his ground late Saturday on keeping schools closed until the fall, saying that the decision is the right move — despite a lecture earlier in the day from Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who said Hizzoner lacks the authority to do so.

After consulting with Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza, de Blasio said they decided to extend the systemwide shutdown until September. The mayor announced the plan early Saturday morning.

“We are far from over with fighting the coronavirus,” de Blasio told the Rev. Al Sharpton on MSNBC’s “PoliticsNation.” “It was crystal clear the right thing to do was focus on distance learning.

“If we really pull together, we can get kids a quality education, we can make sure our seniors can still graduate,” the mayor said.

Cuomo is pathetic. :facepalm:

Response from Cuomo

Spoiler

I have no doubt that some restrictions can be lifted, little by little, over time (once the virus is slowed enough in this first wave by the measures being taken). But the one thing that can't be reintroduced (likely) for a long time is large gatherings of people. Okay, so that means no major concerts, sporting events, etc, and maybe people will accept that. But will people accept schools being closed for a year or two? Because I guarantee they will be one of the major vectors of infection, especially since kids won't show as many symptoms.

Also, in case anyone is wondering why crazies in Europe are burning down 5G towers (quote from reddit):

The conspiracy theory is that 5g caused the pandemic (edit: weakened us to a lab-developed virus, clarification ) so that Bill Gates could finance a vaccine to put tracking chips into people.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1