~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Maybe they'll listen if the food supply gets screwed up.

How many fucking times are we going to have to hear the same mistake of waiting until the number of infected is high before taking action?

I heard a great, folksy analogy yesterday that every politician should be using to get through to their constituents. "Locking the door does no good if the burglar is already in the house".

36 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

What the fuck is he talking about?

My guess is he was attempting another "second amendment remedies" comment. I haven't watched the movie, but I am pretty sure the mutineers on the Bounty got executed. He'd rather the news talk about how the president just threatened to execute governers than talking about how his fuck ups are killing people.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

For something like cinemas, I think Summer 2021 will still be below "normal".

We are currently looking at "Depression" level economic impacts, and lots of people are incurring lots of debt.  Given that going to the movies is a luxury, with lots of good alternatives (i.e. streaming), and requires close social contact (which even with a vaccine, there will be a group that continues to want to avoid, probably for irrational reasons), I don't think that we're going to see movie ticket sales fully recover by then.

Movies aren’t seen as a luxury in any other economic downturn. They remain one of the cheapest forms of out of the home entertainment. The demographics that drive the cinema business, those aged 12-40, are also low risk groups. 

1 minute ago, Jose said:

He's clearly mad about the pacts being formed, but how the fuck is that anyone's fault but his own? Set national rules so the states don't have to set their own, you stupid fuck.

I was going to compare Trump to that ex who doesn't want you back, but also gets mad when you date someone else but then I realized that is giving him too much credit.

This is Trump we're talking about. He's the toddler that doesn't want to play with the toy until another kid tries to play with it.

We are currently looking at "Depression" level economic impacts, and lots of people are incurring lots of debt.  Given that going to the movies is a luxury, with lots of good alternatives (i.e. streaming), and requires close social contact (which even with a vaccine, there will be a group that continues to want to avoid, probably for irrational reasons), I don't think that we're going to see movie ticket sales fully recover by then.

You don't know Americans very well do you?

I would suspect that you're right in  that they won't fully recover, if only because the production of so many movies will have been delayed, but for the reasons that @sblfilms mentioned, I think that cinemas will bounce back faster than many other businesses. 

That does bring us to the only question that matters:

Will Avatar 2 be the savior of the cinema?

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I would suspect that you're right in  that they won't fully recover, if only because the production of so many movies will have been delayed, but for the reasons that @sblfilms mentioned, I think that cinemas will bounce back faster than many other businesses. 

That does bring us to the only question that matters:

Will Avatar 2 be the savior of the cinema?

I’ll join @Zaku3 in posting something cheery. Yesterday I took the family down to the sea wall in Galveston that overlooks the beach. We are a picnic lunch in the van and then walked along the sea wall for an hour. It was 65 degrees and sunny and life was really great.

21 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I’ll join @sblfilms in keeping the cheery train going: I spent this past weekend getting gruesomely stoned and having great sex. My girlfriend and I also got through the first five sections of Overcooked 2. 

I'll join @Chris- and keep the happy train chugging. I spent this past weekend playing through Diablo 3 with my wife, having some great sex, and we even got a head start on planting our seedlings indoors. Oh and our parsley/cilantro clusters in the garden randomnly survived the winter!

For those still wondering, this article does a little to unpack Trump's Mutiny Tweet.

He doesn't touch much on how, as I suspected, the "mutineers" are ultimately hanged and how that is probably a not so subtle threat to the governors.

He goes more into how, yet again, Trump enjoys relating himself and his actions to villians in movies.

But stipulating that a) Trump has seen the movie and b) he wrote the tweet himself, he would seem to be likening himself to Bligh, who, at least in every filmed version of the story, is its villain. In fact, the American Film Institute named Charles Laughton’s Capt. Bligh, from the 1935 version, the 19th greatest villain of all time, one after the shark from Jaws.

It makes sense, since Trump is basically just that 80's guy from Futurama....if only he had Boneitis....

This has been the worst day so far for the US in terms of death rate.  Over 2100 have died today with many hours remaining.  Even when the curve flattens, we can expect many weeks on end with one to two thousand dead per day, based on what we've seen in Italy and Spain - both countries have had essentially 500 dead per day for the last 3 weeks.  

• Sad 2