~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

59 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Get your COVID facts straight from an epidemiologist.  Another great podcast from Michael Osterholm:

logo-fb.png
WWW.CIDRAP.UMN.EDU

In "The Emergence of Omicron," Dr. Osterholm explains what we know and don't know about the Omicron variant, how we will learn more, and what it could mean for the future of the pandemic. Dr. Osterholm also emphasizes the importance of boosters and the potential for a post-Thanksgiving surge in cases. Email us your questions: OsterholmUpdate@umn.edu Micah's Beautiful Place:...

This is a good podcast, thanks.

covid-cda-20201106.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Until public opinion turns sharply against government overreach, we will continue to live in an artificially-prolonged state of emergency, writes privacy lawyer Allan Richarz.

Not sure I agree with everything he says -- but, the lack of a plan with clear objectives is my concern.

• Guillotine 2

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not sure I agree with everything he says -- but, the lack of a plan with clear objectives is my concern.

That's mostly the typical whining about goalpost shifting. It's almost like plans have to keep changing to meet an evolving threat.

16 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
covid-cda-20201106.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Until public opinion turns sharply against government overreach, we will continue to live in an artificially-prolonged state of emergency, writes privacy lawyer Allan Richarz.

I would agree we need better "end game" goals, but at the same time I agree with most restrictions currently in place—they are clearly helping control spread, and removing them would result in greater spread.

12 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I thought I'd be able to walk on for my booster since I live in the chuddiest county of the chuddiest state of the chuddiest country but I couldn't find any appointment before a week from the day I made it.

Worth trying doing a walk-in anyhow.

5 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I thought I'd be able to walk on for my booster since I live in the chuddiest county of the chuddiest state of the chuddiest country but I couldn't find any appointment before a week from the day I made it.

Got my booster on Black Friday. Just walked into my local Acme (grocery store) and went to the pharmacy. The pharmacist asked which vaccine my fiancée and I wanted, filled out a form and showed our vaccination cards, and in about 20-min total (10 of which were filling out that form and the pharmacist putting our information in the computer) we were both boosted and done. Prior to this we were trying to make appointments at Rite Aid, CVS, that same Acme, etc, and they were all like 2-3 weeks out. Just call, find out their walk-in times and show up. The Rite-Aid near me has walk-ins from 2-3pm every day, the Acme has all-day walk-ins.

KR26TR5HDVKFTCJPRUQFPPYIVI.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The Omicron variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 likely acquired at least one of its mutations by picking up a snippet of genetic material from another virus - possibly one that causes the common cold - present in the same infected cells, according to researchers.

The Omicron variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 likely acquired at least one of its mutations by picking up a snippet of genetic material from another virus - possibly one that causes the common cold - present in the same infected cells, according to researchers.

This genetic sequence does not appear in any earlier versions of the coronavirus, called SARS-CoV-2, but is ubiquitous in many other viruses including those that cause the common cold, and also in the human genome, researchers said.

By inserting this particular snippet into itself, Omicron might be making itself look "more human," which would help it evade attack by the human immune system, said Venky Soundararajan of Cambridge, Massachusetts-based data analytics firm nference, who led the study posted on Thursday on the website OSF Preprints.

This could mean the virus transmits more easily, while only causing mild or asymptomatic disease. Scientists do not yet know whether Omicron is more infectious than other variants, whether it causes more severe disease or whether it will overtake Delta as the most prevalent variant. It may take several weeks to get answers to these questions.

• Shocked 1

My wife got her antibody levels checked this week and we got the results - 2400 u/ml.  For reference, I had 750 u/ml, and our daughter had 150 u/ml.

I think this all makes sense, given our differences:

My wife was both vaccinated with J&J in April, and subsequently got COVID in June.

I got both Moderna shots in March, and never got COVID when my wife and daughter got infected.

My daughter was unvaccinated when she contracted COVID in June, and she beat it in a matter of days.

With my booster, hopefully I get quite a few more antibodies built up in my system as Omicron starts to become prevalent.  But I guess we'll see just how effective current immunity is against this new variant. 

• Like 1

Good thread, you should read the whole thing. But, the potentially hopeful part:

tl;dr: We will likely (almost certainly) see the vaccines lose efficacy on preventing infection. However, boosters may help with that (due to sheer volume of antibody response), and t-cell response (which helps against severe illness) should likely remain strong.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
KR26TR5HDVKFTCJPRUQFPPYIVI.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The Omicron variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 likely acquired at least one of its mutations by picking up a snippet of genetic material from another virus - possibly one that causes the common cold - present in the same...

It THINKS IT'S PEOPLE! :o

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good thread, you should read the whole thing. But, the potentially hopeful part:

tl;dr: We will likely (almost certainly) see the vaccines lose efficacy on preventing infection. However, boosters may help with that (due to sheer volume of antibody response), and t-cell response (which helps against severe illness) should likely remain strong.

I told y’all this about B and T cells many months ago!

8 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I got the Moderna booster this morning. Typically the booster symptoms are worse than the second dose, correct?

I had a few hours in the middle of the night with fever and chills after my second shot, but I felt almost nothing from my Pfizer booster other than a sore arm.