~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

But I'll win the don't catch COVID challenge. :santasun:

Like I said above kind of crazy that a single Moderna dose slightly more than doubles what I had in me from three Pfizer doses. 

The actual effect doesn’t work that way though. Pfizer isn’t 30% as efficacious as Moderna, come on.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
6AE3OV5UEFIMVKNGINVA5YXYEM.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

BioNTech and Pfizer said on Wednesday a three-shot course of their COVID-19 vaccine was shown to generate a neutralising effect against the new Omicron variant in a laboratory test.

This is great news of course (since preventing infection is good), but the best news is hidden further in the article:

The vast majority of surface structures on the Omicron spike protein targeted by the T-cells, which typically emerge after vaccination, are not affected by Omicron's mutations, they said.

This effectively means that two doses should remain able to provide protection against severe illness. This is really, really good news.

EDIT - Also, for those of you aboard the Novavax train, it's expected to be approved in Canada as early as this week.

17 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

What's even more remarkable (and a testament to our political system) is that this success can be attributed to all sides of the political spectrum. You have a centre-left federal government, mostly right-wing provincial governments (but also some further-left-wing), but all have worked pretty well together on this emergency. 

Sitting at the doctors office listening to this guy having a phone call with a person they are offering a job to. Very quickly the call went to their vaccination policy, and the potential employee was obviously opposed to being vaccinated.

The guy doing the hiring seemed defeated by the end of it because he clearly liked the potential employee a lot. I got the sense this is not the first time he’s dealt with people passing on the job because the company does require vaccination.