~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

33 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I once threatened to fire someone for not using the Oxford comma!

I got into fights with the other editors when I did the college newspaper because the fuckers kept pulling the Oxford commas out of the stuff I'd copy edited for my section without even talking to me about it first because they insisted that it wasn't just unnecessary but outright wrong to use the Oxford comma. :angry:

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

I got into fights with the other editors when I did the college newspaper because the fuckers kept pulling the Oxford commas out of the stuff I'd copy edited for my section without even talking to me about it first because they insisted that it wasn't just unnecessary but outright wrong to use the Oxford comma. :angry:

Gallows aren't just for the rich.

The American cultural obsession with "sticking to your guns" and not "flip-clopping" (i.e. whatever you say initially is the truth, and nothing can be changed because change=weakness) means that most people won't agree with changing the idea of fully vaccinated = keeping up with boosters. They were initially told that two doses would do it, and now any changing observations on efficacy will be shrugged off with "I did my part, they must be wrong or lying."

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The American cultural obsession with "sticking to your guns" and not "flip-clopping" (i.e. whatever you say initially is the truth, and nothing can be changed because change=weakness) means that most people won't agree with changing the idea of fully vaccinated = keeping up with boosters. They were initially told that two doses would do it, and now any changing observations on efficacy will be shrugged off with "I did my part, they must be wrong or lying."

maybe public health authorities shouldn't have lied to the public about masks in march 2020

• Guillotine 1

Apparently just going to a different provider for your second shot or booster means the CDC can't reliably tell whether or not you're a new person getting their first shot.

GettyImages-1285324292.jpeg?w=640
KHN.ORG

Accuracy issues raise red flags because the data is used to plan and direct resources in the nation’s continuing response to the covid-19 pandemic.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

This reminds me of a favorite quote:

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Shipping masks back in spring of 2020, and shipping tests in fall of 2020 would have been a great move. The fact that we still aren't putting tests in every mailbox is shameful. We can do it, we should have done it, and yet we aren't.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Shipping masks back in spring of 2020, and shipping tests in fall of 2020 would have been a great move. The fact that we still aren't putting tests in every mailbox is shameful. We can do it, we should have done it, and yet we aren't.

Also: you still need an appointment (on top of all the other bullshit like being asked about insurance that scares people off) to get a PCR test and the turnaround time is still 24-48 hours. Some other countries have PCR test processing time down to around 8 hours. Plus for making an appointment the LA County provider won't let you make a profile, you have to enter EVERYTHING each time.

39da7f7fc4b87923879ac193f175eb457e-omcir
NYMAG.COM

And it’s time to stop thinking of boosters as a “luxury dose.”

So as soon as we understand the severity of illness and immune escape, we’ll know what the next year is going to look like. 

Absolutely. On the optimistic side, wouldn’t it be an amazing turn of events if Mother Nature herself helps us out by giving us a virus that is much more transmissible, that will win the virus King of the Hill debate, and at the same time give us milder illness? We don’t know that, but it’s surely a possibility. On the other hand, we can still be in deep trouble even if we have less severe illness, just based on the increased transmissibility. Transmissibility offsets severity, so you could have just as many ICUs overrun if, in fact, it’s a less severe illness. We’re still trying to understand breakthroughs, not only for healthy individuals but for the immune compromised or those who have underlying health challenges that put them at increased risk. We don’t know, at this point, how they’re going to fare with this variant.