~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

36 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Our 100% mandate goes into effect tomorrow.  No more testing out for non-vaccinated people.  There is still a religious and medical exemption process, but AFAIK they aren't being granted often at all. 

Yeah the shit eating grin on our number 2's face when it said that was worth being there for. 

41 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Has there been any reports on what is driving the increases? Is this just what I've seen referred to as the "Covid Cycle" where we will have 2 months of this and then it goes away again? 

All of the reporting i've seen regarding Omicron says that it's only produced mild symptoms at this point.

I'm just wondering why we're seeing this sudden uptick? Even my wife says her hospital is back up to around 45 Covid patients. 

28 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

Has there been any reports on what is driving the increases? Is this just what I've seen referred to as the "Covid Cycle" where we will have 2 months of this and then it goes away again? 

All of the reporting i've seen regarding Omicron says that it's only produced mild symptoms at this point.

I'm just wondering why we're seeing this sudden uptick? Even my wife says her hospital is back up to around 45 Covid patients. 

no idea! 'seasonality' seems to be the conventional wisdom but not much more detailed than that from what I know

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah this is basically standard across Canada now, and has been for a while. Unless you have your two shots you can't go to restaurants, concerts, the bar, liquor stores, entertainment places (bowling, indoor sports, etc). When they brought it in it bumped the vaccination rate by almost 10%. My province is the worst in Canada, but even we are 71% fully vaxxed (ages 0-80+). 77% of total pop with first shot.

And it’s so refreshing. Since it went into effect my life has basically gone back to normal.  I few restaurants and bar nights, couple raptors games.  Before it I was doing nothing 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I got my booster shot just about an hour ago, and I've already noticed a difference in my cell phone reception.  My 5G signal has gone from 1/2 to 3/4!

Just now, Ricofoley said:

As of about an hour ago, I am officially boosted up. Omicron, come at me bro. Your spike protein ain't shit.

mclumber1 has actually been my alt this whole time

• Shocked 1

Yeah, our governor is a piece of poop.

No one is wearing masks here anymore. People are just over it.

None of these people even believe masks do anything. They think it's all a giant scam and nothing, I mean NOTHING will convince them otherwise.

As cases have dropped here over the past two months I've grown a sick beard. But with Omicron coming (or already here), I should probably shave so I can use my n95 masks. My province has a mask mandate so everyone is wearing masks when out, and right now I wear a level 3 medical mask with a tighter cloth mask on top. But n95 on its own appears to be better than that.

If Omicron truly does have the capability to evade immunity among the vaccinated and this causes greater risk, I wonder what this will due to society's collective anxiety. In the beginning of the pandemic there was a sense of collective camaraderie around the world. It was the first time in anyone's lifetime that we'd have a pandemic this serious, and people took it seriously. Then, after it seemed to ebb in the summer of 2020, there was a split. Idiots took it less seriously, and there was conflict between the two groups. Once vaccines were introduced, the idiots continued to be idiots, but the other group seemed to gain a new solidarity—things were bad, but by getting vaccinated, we could make it better. Then, things seemed to improve.

Then there was the Delta wave which really mostly hit the idiots. However, everyone was still impacted as it strained the hospital systems in many places. But, with mandates and other things, things appeared to be getting better. But with Omicron...if the existing vaccines are proven ineffective, where does that leave all the people who did their best? Speaking for myself, I will be ready to hunker down again because I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home, and I will wait for the improved vaccines that will come. But I will still be scared because what if I get into a car accident or find a lump in my throat? Medical care might be hard to come by.

I worry that the idiots will continue to be idiots, and that a growing % of previously-non-idiots will move into that camp out of weariness and exhaustion, and we will all suffer.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If Omicron truly does have the capability to evade immunity among the vaccinated and this causes greater risk, I wonder what this will due to society's collective anxiety. In the beginning of the pandemic there was a sense of collective camaraderie around the world. It was the first time in anyone's lifetime that we'd have a pandemic this serious, and people took it seriously. Then, after it seemed to ebb in the summer of 2020, there was a split. Idiots took it less seriously, and there was conflict between the two groups. Once vaccines were introduced, the idiots continued to be idiots, but the other group seemed to gain a new solidarity—things were bad, but by getting vaccinated, we could make it better. Then, things seemed to improve.

Then there was the Delta wave which really mostly hit the idiots. However, everyone was still impacted as it strained the hospital systems in many places. But, with mandates and other things, things appeared to be getting better. But with Omicron...if the existing vaccines are proven ineffective, where does that leave all the people who did their best? Speaking for myself, I will be ready to hunker down again because I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home, and I will wait for the improved vaccines that will come. But I will still be scared because what if I get into a car accident or find a lump in my throat? Medical care might be hard to come by.

I worry that the idiots will continue to be idiots, and that a growing % of previously-non-idiots will move into that camp out of weariness and exhaustion, and we will all suffer.

If Omicron gets bad then it'll get bad. I think people fight the hell out of mask mandates and restrictions moving forward.  Politicians won't do the restrictions anyway because the ones that did them before caught a hell and the ones content with letting their people die didn't have any downsides to their political career.  I've also seen people complain that they've already had two shots and aren't getting another one because they're just done with it, people just don't have the stamina for this sort of thing now.

43 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

If Omicron gets bad then it'll get bad. I think people fight the hell out of mask mandates and restrictions moving forward.  Politicians won't do the restrictions anyway because the ones that did them before caught a hell and the ones content with letting their people die didn't have any downsides to their political career.  I've also seen people complain that they've already had two shots and aren't getting another one because they're just done with it, people just don't have the stamina for this sort of thing now.

Imagine if we had to fight WWII today. 

2 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Every single elected Republican would want to enter the war on Germany's side.

right wing grifter Candice Owens is already on record saying that Hitler was fine until he started invading other countries and she still has a large right wing following.

then again she's a Black conservative so she can't be excommunicated or their numbers in the GOP would be cut in half

silicon_arm-shutterstock-1200x630.jpg
GREEKCITYTIMES.COM

A 50-year-old man in the city of Biella in northern Italy who went to get vaccined against Covid-19 wearing a fake silicone hand is causing a sensation in Italy. The man had stuck his fake forearm on his shoulder and hid his real hand behind his back. But the nurse who was prepared the injection…

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

There is no evidence, yet, either way.  Vaccines are most likely to still prove effective against serious illness -- which is what we should care about.

Get your COVID facts straight from an epidemiologist.  Another great podcast from Michael Osterholm:

logo-fb.png
WWW.CIDRAP.UMN.EDU

In "The Emergence of Omicron," Dr. Osterholm explains what we know and don't know about the Omicron variant, how we will learn more, and what it could mean for the future of the pandemic. Dr. Osterholm also emphasizes the importance of boosters and the potential for a post-Thanksgiving surge in cases. Email us your questions: OsterholmUpdate@umn.edu Micah's Beautiful Place:...

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:
silicon_arm-shutterstock-1200x630.jpg
GREEKCITYTIMES.COM

A 50-year-old man in the city of Biella in northern Italy who went to get vaccined against Covid-19 wearing a fake silicone hand is causing a sensation in Italy. The man had stuck his fake forearm on his shoulder and hid his real hand behind his back...

Oh man, the bugs bunny Florida gif would work perfectly on Italy 

• True 1