~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

There is little doubt in my mind that the Western response (possibly "overreaction") to Omicron is going to only further Africa's geo-political embrace of China, especially with China seizing the opportunity to curry favor:

106595727-1593416301370gettyimages-12048
WWW.CNBC.COM

China will deliver another 1 billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines to Africa and encourage Chinese companies to invest no less than $10 billion

• True 1

21 hours ago, johnny said:

my uncle was kind of a hippy. hung out in SF and was all peace and love. now he is super anti immigrant and votes red 

Hippy is just short for hypocrite (hippocrite).  They are usually the worst type of people.  The men are likely sexual predators and they are all moochers.  I helped out a hippy by letting him stay at our house (planned for a month but 2 and a half later I kicked him out) and I came up with a saying for them.  "su casa es mi casa!"  I generally despise hippies.

58 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

There is little doubt in my mind that the Western response (possibly "overreaction") to Omicron is going to only further Africa's geo-political embrace of China, especially with China seizing the opportunity to curry favor:

106595727-1593416301370gettyimages-12048
WWW.CNBC.COM

China will deliver another 1 billion doses of Covid-19 vaccines to Africa and encourage Chinese companies to invest no less than $10 billion

netherlands-covid-amsterdam-airport.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Authorities in the Netherlands say testing has confirmed that COVID cases identified on November 19 and 23 were the new strain – days before researchers identified it.

Mild Shock GIF

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

I thought this was already the case, are they just lowering the age that needs to be vaccinated?

Also, just fucking ugh that this is still uncontrolled for US domestic travel.

Until today unvaccinated 12+ could still fly, but needed a negative test. Now there is no test exemption, all travellers must be vaccinated.

Israel’s health minister has suggested that individuals fully vaccinated against Covid – and within six months of a booster – may also be protected against the Omicron variant.

Nitzan Horowitz was speaking on Tuesday after another two cases of individuals infected with the variant were identified in Israel bringing the country’s total to four.

Without citing any data, Horowitz told local reporters:

"In the coming days we will have more accurate information about the efficacy of the vaccine against Omicron - but there is already room for optimism, and there are initial indications that those who are vaccinated with a vaccine still valid or with a booster, will also be protected from this variant."

Horowitz’s comments came after Israel head of Public Health Services, Dr Sharon Alroy-Preis, said that the first data about the efficacy of the coronavirus vaccines against the Omicron would be available during the course of the day.

Horowitz’s remarks come amid conflicting information about how effective various vaccines and therapies are likely to be against the new variant. Earlier on Tuesday the German pharmaceutical company Merck said it expected its Covid-19 drug to be effective in treating the variant.

• Thanks 1

Apparently a 3-dosed doctor passed it to another 3-dosed doctor (in Israel), and people are freaking out online. But it's important to realize that this is already happening with Delta. There is no word on what (if any) symptoms these doctors had/have. As long as the vaccines protect against severe infection (and hopefully long covid) then they are a success. If they also protect against catching it (and spreading it) then that is even better. But the first part is the most important.

Getting off message about the goal of the vaccines with focus going to the great benefit of decreased infections was a mistake. Should have just stuck to reporting the rate drops on hospitalization and death for the vaccinated.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Getting off message about the goal of the vaccines with focus going to the great benefit of decreased infections was a mistake. Should have just stuck to reporting the rate drops on hospitalization and death for the vaccinated.

I flip flop on having this POV and wondering how much messaging matters when disinformation abounds.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This is exactly what the purpose of vaccination is - to reduce serious illness. 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This is exactly what the purpose of vaccination is - to reduce serious illness. 

Yes, and the media and (American) government messaging became way too focused on the initial success with preventing infection. Not even getting into the people who simply were never going to get it, the actual goal and resounding success of the vaccines in achieving that goal was undermined by the focus on preventing infection.

Not sure if people remember, but we had tons of people avoiding the J&J vaccine here because it didn’t prevent infection at the same rate as the mRNA vaccines.

Now we have people who were vaccinated that are questioning whether or not the vaccines are useful because the infection prevention is potentially diminishing over time despite the protection against severe disease remaining incredibly high.

4 hours ago, Chollowa said:

Had my Moderna booster yesterday and just like the 2nd dose it really knocked me on my ass. I took Nyquil before going to bed last night so I don't think my fever got too high, but the body aches and lethargy are definitely strong today. 

Moderna kicked my ass.  Think I’m gonna go for a mix this round

I had a weird dream.

I went to see a doctor and was COVID positive, but they wanted me to sign a paper because part of the treatment was they said they needed to make an incision in the back of my throat. But I hesitated because I wasn't even showing symptoms and I don't think that's a thing they do.

Do they actually make an incision in the back of your throat as part of a COVID treatment?

• Haha 1
  • True 1

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Confirming what we already suspected. 

2654.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Mark Meadows makes stunning admission in new memoir obtained by Guardian, saying a second test returned negative

That is why he was spitting around yelling and cutting him off, he wanted to make him sick. 

I signed up to get my booster on Thursday.  I was actually surprised that most of the appointments near me were filled up, so I'm going to a Kroger about 5 miles from my house.  Not a huge deal, but there has to be 20 locations closer than than, all of which didn't have any slots available when I wanted to do it tomorrow afternoon.

the county where i grew up is #1 in deaths/100k since 6/30/21 in ohio. scioto, jackson, vinton, highland, brown are all above 100 deaths/100k since 6/30/21 and are all contiguous in the Appalachian region. the flip side is Athens county. same region but vaccination makes all the difference! (its also the home of Ohio University, so education polarization in partisanship shows its face again!)