~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

biden needs to clean house on these sclerotic agencies of all the half assers not treating this shit like the emergency it is

But then the Republicans might clean house when THEY gain power again, it's too dangerous!

1 hour ago, Jason said:

But then the Republicans might clean house when THEY gain power again, it's too dangerous!

funny you should mention that

210923-steve-bannon-2018-2x1-ac-837p.jpg
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The former adviser to President Donald Trump spoke Wednesday night to a new association of Republican presidential appointees in Washington.

• Guillotine 2

I'd even do a booster a month to avoid this tbh

RYXKE5CW44I6ZA4WKVJL55K4HQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

For patients infected with the coronavirus, long-term fatigue, pain, and other debilitating symptoms are keeping them out of work, creating financial stress and despair.

• Sad 1

Fifth wave gaining steam in Ontario, in both cases and deaths. This is still Delta-driven (though Omicron is present and surely growing):

Current controversy in Ontario is that the federal government gave millions of rapid tests (for free) to the provincial government...which then turned around gave them (apparently for free) to Shoppers Drug Mart (big pharmacy chain)...which then turned around and is selling them for $40 each. Massive, massive corruption happening in the Ford government, which is not surprising.

• Guillotine 2

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fifth wave gaining steam in Ontario, in both cases and deaths. This is still Delta-driven (though Omicron is present and surely growing):

Current controversy in Ontario is that the federal government gave millions of rapid tests (for free) to the provincial government...which then turned around gave them (apparently for free) to Shoppers Drug Mart (big pharmacy chain)...which then turned around and is selling them for $40 each. Massive, massive corruption happening in the Ford government, which is not surprising.

Are these the rapid tests that they conduct in the pharmacy or at-home tests? Because $40 is the same price as the ones I was seeing at Shoppers for in the pharmacy (for clearance to travel back to the US, assuming my trip to Vancouver in January happens).

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Are these the rapid tests that they conduct in the pharmacy or at-home tests? Because $40 is the same price as the ones I was seeing at Shoppers for in the pharmacy (for clearance to travel back to the US, assuming my trip to Vancouver in January happens).

From my understanding, they were intended to be used and also given out to people for at-home use. Journalists are digging into it right now.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The fifth wave is happening in cases, but so far the increase in hospitalizations and deaths is relatively small.  Current cases are ~20% higher than the peak of 4th wave, yet deaths are at around 60% of that level (and significantly behind the first 3 waves).  Hospitalizations are still at a relatively low level as well.  Vaccination seems to be working.

I've seen lots of tweets about Shoppers -- nothing reported by credible media yet.  Do you have a link?

The past two days I've been getting phone calls and messages from Public Health Ontario. I couldn't answer because I was working. They just phoned again, and since I'm off today I was able to pick up. They said they were doing contract tracing, and that I had come into contact with someone with COVID-19 on November 28th. They couldn't tell me where for some reason (confidentiality they say, but I'm not asking who, just where), but the only place I would have been is work. They said because I'm fully vaxxed and showing no symptoms, and it's been more than 10 days I'm good. 

1 minute ago, Brick said:

The past two days I've been getting phone calls and messages from Public Health Ontario. I couldn't answer because I was working. They just phoned again, and since I'm off today I was able to pick up. They said they were doing contract tracing, and that I had come into contact with someone with COVID-19 on November 28th. They couldn't tell me where for some reason (confidentiality they say, but I'm not asking who, just where), but the only place I would have been is work. They said because I'm fully vaxxed and showing no symptoms, and it's been more than 10 days I'm good. 

lmao really robust contact tracing there if you can dodge it by just not picking up the phone 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The fifth wave is happening in cases, but so far the increase in hospitalizations and deaths is relatively small.  Current cases are ~20% higher than the peak of 4th wave, yet deaths are at around 60% of that level (and significantly behind the first 3 waves).  Hospitalizations are still at a relatively low level as well.  Vaccination seems to be working.

I've seen lots of tweets about Shoppers -- nothing reported by credible media yet.  Do you have a link?

If I find anything I will tag you! 

As for the fifth wave, the uptick of blue dots on the right side of the graph is troubling, as if that continues in the same direction then we'll see the 7-day average eclipse the death peak from wave 4 within the week. However, assuming it's the same cases/death ratio as wave 4 then that's still good news (in terms that vaccination is still holding the death count at bay, and it's the unvaccinated mostly dying).

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

If I find anything I will tag you! 

As for the fifth wave, the uptick of blue dots on the right side of the graph is troubling, as if that continues in the same direction then we'll see the 7-day average eclipse the death peak from wave 4 within the week. However, assuming it's the same cases/death ratio as wave 4 then that's still good news (in terms that vaccination is still holding the death count at bay, and it's the unvaccinated mostly dying).

This is what the last 90 days of deaths look like:

Screenshot-2021-12-10-133105.png

Could the uptick in the last few days be the start of a trend?  Yes.  They could also be part of normal fluctuations. [Source CBC Covid tracker]

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's so fucked up. Jeez I wish ontario had an actual opposition party doing their job to dig into this instead of doing jack shit and leaving it up to the press to find out about. :| (I really despise how worthless the ONDP is, yet I'm frequently being told I'm not giving them a chance and my actual issue is the ghost of bob rae).

20 hours ago, Jason said:

Also: you still need an appointment (on top of all the other bullshit like being asked about insurance that scares people off) to get a PCR test and the turnaround time is still 24-48 hours. Some other countries have PCR test processing time down to around 8 hours. Plus for making an appointment the LA County provider won't let you make a profile, you have to enter EVERYTHING each time.

Home rapid antigen tests are everywhere and about $25.  I came down with a cold this week, scooped up a 2 test box from Walgreens, used both, negative.  I do kind of think we need subsidized rapid antigen testing everywhere.

17 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Home rapid antigen tests are everywhere and about $25.  I came down with a cold this week, scooped up a 2 test box from Walgreens, used both, negative.  I do kind of think we need subsidized rapid antigen testing everywhere.

Where do you live because I can't find them anywhere in LA. They sell out as soon as they get them in stock, at least in my neighborhood. I got a test the other day at an urgent care because someone tested postive at a party I went to last weekend. I'm negative of course.

GettyImages-1167087688-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Health officials struggle to understand a court ruling the state AG refuses to appeal.

One local agency, the Laclede County Health Department, northeast of Springfield, announced that it has ceased all COVID-19-related work, including case investigations, contact tracing, quarantine orders, and public announcements of current cases and deaths.

This week, upon the news of Laclede ceasing all COVID-related work, [Eric Schmitt, Missouri attorney general's] spokesperson Chris Nuelle only added to the confusion around Green's ruling, writing to the Star, “We’re grateful that the Laclede County Health Department has ceased their COVID-19 public health orders like their quarantine order. Any further decisions beyond ceasing quarantine orders or similar public health orders should be directed to them.”

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Where do you live because I can't find them anywhere in LA. They sell out as soon as they get them in stock, at least in my neighborhood. I got a test the other day at an urgent care because someone tested postive at a party I went to last weekend. I'm negative of course.

A little north of Cincinnati, OH.  No one in the red parts of Ohio gives a shit whether they have COVID or not so maybe that's why.  My brother said he saw boxes of COVID tests at a gas station last week.  Most CVS and Walgreens here have the Binax and Quickvue tests in stock.

3 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Other countries either give them away or it's like $4 for a box of 20 tests. We're getting gouged because the FDA has only approved a couple of tests and doesn't think it's important to approve more tests. 

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don’t know that sending everyone a couple tests solves anything, but they should be at least heavily subsidized for those that want them. This is basic shit!

At least approve more tests so the current duopoly can't keep gouging people. 

35 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don’t know that sending everyone a couple tests solves anything, but they should be at least heavily subsidized for those that want them. This is basic shit!

For around 5 billion dollars the federal government could have reduced and distributed nearly 20 billion tests directly to the citizenry.

I don’t think people realize just how little effort the federal government has put into mitigation.