~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, and the media and (American) government messaging became way too focused on the initial success with preventing infection. Not even getting into the people who simply were never going to get it, the actual goal and resounding success of the vaccines in achieving that goal was undermined by the focus on preventing infection.

Not sure if people remember, but we had tons of people avoiding the J&J vaccine here because it didn’t prevent infection at the same rate as the mRNA vaccines.

Now we have people who were vaccinated that are questioning whether or not the vaccines are useful because the infection prevention is potentially diminishing over time despite the protection against severe disease remaining incredibly high.

People have always been bad at understanding this independent of messaging, though. Flu shots work this way too; they help with prevention and severity of illness, they’ve been around for a long time, and the most common objection I hear to people getting one is, “if I can get the flu anyway, why should I bother?” This despite the CDC’s webpage and pamphlets being pretty clear about reduction in severity being among the benefits.

We’re bad at understanding these things, it’s just made worse during a pandemic. I really don’t know what anyone could do any differently to communicate this stuff.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Confirming what we already suspected. 

2654.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Mark Meadows makes stunning admission in new memoir obtained by Guardian, saying a second test returned negative

It really is amazing what a genuine piece of shit Donald Trump really is.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

the county where i grew up is #1 in deaths/100k since 6/30/21 in ohio. scioto, jackson, vinton, highland, brown are all above 100 deaths/100k since 6/30/21 and are all contiguous in the Appalachian region. the flip side is Athens county. same region but vaccination makes all the difference! (its also the home of Ohio University, so education polarization in partisanship shows its face again!)

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

People have always been bad at understanding this independent of messaging, though. Flu shots work this way too; they help with prevention and severity of illness, they’ve been around for a long time, and the most common objection I hear to people getting one is, “if I can get the flu anyway, why should I bother?” This despite the CDC’s webpage and pamphlets being pretty clear about reduction in severity being among the benefits.

We’re bad at understanding these things, it’s just made worse during a pandemic. I really don’t know what anyone could do any differently to communicate this stuff.

it sounds like they are always bad at it then :p Which isn’t surprising when you see the people put in front of the cameras on purpose. I’ve been saying this since last summer, but we need better science communicators at the front lines of the public discourse on these meaty issues.

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

CDC has reported the first confirmed US case of Omicron in Califorina.

Meanwhile nobody in my building has been wearing masks in the elevator or other enclosed spaces like the communal laundry room for months now even though LA County never dropped the mask mandate. :daydream:

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — A person in California who had been vaccinated against COVID-19 became the first in the U.S. to have an identified case of the omicron variant, the White House announced Wednesday as scientists continue to study the risks posed by the new virus strain.

Dr. Anthony Fauci told reporters that the person was a traveler who returned from South Africa on Nov. 22 and tested positive on Nov. 29. Fauci said the person was vaccinated but had not received a booster shot and was experiencing “mild symptoms.”

The Biden administration moved late last month to restrict travel from Southern Africa where the variant was first identified and had been widespread. Clusters of cases have also been identified in about two dozen other nations.

“We knew that it was just a matter of time before the first case of omicron would be detected in the United States,” Fauci said.

Officials said they had contacted everyone who had close contact with the person and they had all tested negative.

covid-ont-20210928.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Researchers are recruiting subjects who were exposed to COVID-19 and whose immune systems show no sign of encountering the coronavirus. The people who show resistance to...

Not that their immune system fights it off. They don’t get infected- no signs of antibodies. 

50 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
covid-ont-20210928.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Researchers are recruiting subjects who were exposed to COVID-19 and whose immune systems show no sign of encountering the...

Not that their immune system fights it off. They don’t get infected- no signs of antibodies. 

... I may be one of these people. My wife got it in March 2020, we didn't know and understand it. We kept doing everything together, there's no way I wasn't exposed to it. We work from home so it was 24/7 being around each other daily. 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

... I may be one of these people. My wife got it in March 2020, we didn't know and understand it. We kept doing everything together, there's no way I wasn't exposed to it. We work from home so it was 24/7 being around each other daily. 

When my wife and daughter contracted COVID in June, we didn't try to isolate them from myself.  We still slept in the same bed and stayed in close contact the entire time.  I never ended up getting infected from them, but then again I also got the 5G shots back in March, so that probably helped out tremendously.

• True 1

57 minutes ago, Jason said:

Dumb dumb dumb

The federal government has more than enough money to buy these kits outright.  Fine, still distribute them through CVS, Walgreens, etc., just make it free at the point of purchase.  Don't get insurance involved.

When I was scheduling my booster the other day, I found it exceptionally stupid that I had to fill in my insurance information.  It makes the entire process less efficient, and on a wholistic level, more expensive, even if I pay nothing out of pocket. 

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Dumb dumb dumb

The federal government has more than enough money to buy these kits outright.  Fine, still distribute them through CVS, Walgreens, etc., just make it free at the point of purchase.  Don't get insurance involved.

When I was scheduling my booster the other day, I found it exceptionally stupid that I had to fill in my insurance information.  It makes the entire process less efficient, and on a wholistic level, more expensive, even if I pay nothing out of pocket. 

And as I've previously complained, it scares away the uninsured.

_121922866_getty11.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Chancellor Angela Merkel describes the far-reaching measures as an act of "national solidarity".

Germany's national and regional leaders have agreed to bar unvaccinated people from much of public life in a bid to fend off a fourth wave of Covid-19.

Outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel described the far-reaching measures as an act of "national solidarity".

Only those who have been vaccinated or recently recovered from Covid will be allowed in restaurants, cinemas, leisure facilities and many shops.

Vaccinations could be made mandatory by February, the chancellor added.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Really? Everyone in my building does. I rarely see an unmasked face anywhere I go around here.

Yes, and it's incredibly annoying. A lot of the building is open-air but come the fuck on guys, it's not that big of a deal to put it on before going into an enclosed communal space. In general mask usage is still good though, although at Whole Foods for instance it's gone from "there's always someone not wearing a mask" to "there's always several people not wearing a mask". And the stores just let the maskless jackasses walk around undisturbed.

10 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

We already have this!

Yeah this is basically standard across Canada now, and has been for a while. Unless you have your two shots you can't go to restaurants, concerts, the bar, liquor stores, entertainment places (bowling, indoor sports, etc). When they brought it in it bumped the vaccination rate by almost 10%. My province is the worst in Canada, but even we are 71% fully vaxxed (ages 0-80+). 77% of total pop with first shot.

36 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

My office is waiting for the supposed walk-out of civilian base employees who don't want to get shots to fill applications and be told that in order to start they have to have all their shots up to date as we deal with all sorts of dirty people. It is just going to be comedy gold. 

Our 100% mandate goes into effect tomorrow.  No more testing out for non-vaccinated people.  There is still a religious and medical exemption process, but AFAIK they aren't being granted often at all.