Next Star Wars film saga to be set in High Republic era.

Allegedly: https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/the-next-star-wars-film-saga-to-be-set-during-the-high-republic-era/

Sources are saying the next Star Wars Saga is going to take place during an era called “The High Republic” era. It sounds like the setting is 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. This new saga is set during a time that the Sith’s “Rule of Two” has been established by Darth Bane, and Yoda is a Jedi, but isn’t the old Jedi we know from the Skywalker era.

Sources are saying the next Star Wars Saga is going to take place during an era called “The High Republic” era. It sounds like the setting is 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. This new saga is set during a time that the Sith’s “Rule of Two” has been established by Darth Bane, and Yoda is a Jedi, but isn’t the old Jedi we know from the Skywalker era.

These new films will not make up a trilogy but rather a series of films which will be released in the same story era and interconnect. D.B Weiss and David Benioff were to make this series before moving onto a more lucrative deal. This method of storytelling was supposed to apply to the “A Star Wars Story” films, but they never got a chance to interconnect the two stories that they told with more material.

I am happy that they are going far back...but not as happy as if they were going even further. The High Republic era is not as interesting as the Old Republic era when the Sith existed in greater numbers. BUT, I am happy they will simply do movies that have a common theme and setting rather than a singular storyline. Just make good, individual stories, and the era won't really matter!

• Guillotine 1

21 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Ew, that is really gross. Prequels are really gross and should not be be done.

Eh, Star Wars prequels in principle bother me a lot less than Star Trek prequels because things are way more open-ended once you start stepping beyond the screen canon and because the timelines/timescales are a lot fuzzier. I immediately had a bad reaction to finding out when Discovery was going to be set because look at how much trouble they had getting Enterprise right, when it only had to line up with TOS on the back end and where they had a lot of room to fill in the blanks but still managed to spend a few seasons fucking it up; I knew it was going to be that much harder having to line up with ENT and have to be able to lead into TOS only ten years later. But Star Wars? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There's so much more storytelling freedom there, just don't pull stupid shit like midichlorians and you're already half of the way to getting it right.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Eh, Star Wars prequels in principle bother me a lot less than Star Trek prequels because things are way more open-ended once you start stepping beyond the screen canon and because the timelines/timescales are a lot fuzzier. I immediately had a bad reaction to finding out when Discovery was going to be set because look at how much trouble they had getting Enterprise right, when it only had to line up with TOS on the back end and where they had a lot of room to fill in the blanks but still managed to spend a few seasons fucking it up; I knew it was going to be that much harder having to line up with ENT and have to be able to lead into TOS only ten years later. But Star Wars? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There's so much more storytelling freedom there, just don't pull stupid shit like midichlorians and you're already half of the way to getting it right.

right. The whole universe has almost no rules to it at all. It’s grounded in no amount of reality. Going forward, going backwards, who cares. Just tell me a good story. 

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I wish they would try and push forward -- and do something beyond the timeframe of RoS.

Star Wars is basically a fantasy story, just with spaceships, so it seems a lot more understandable that you're going to get a sort of cyclical painting of history that makes it so that it doesn't really matter which side of the main canon you set your story in. Unlike with Star Trek, which is supposed to be a near-ish future divergent timeline off of actual human history, creating a much stronger incentive to keep pushing forward instead of letting yourself get boxed in trying to fill in the corners of the past.

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

right. The whole universe has almost no rules to it at all. It’s grounded in no amount of reality. Going forward, going backwards, who cares. Just tell me a good story. 

Going back to the cyclical history point, technology doesn't even change THAT much between Star Wars eras, apparently. Another hallmark of what you'd expect from fantasy but not from sci fi.

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Prequels suck because you already know the future.

But again, my point is that with Star Wars that doesn't really matter because the past doesn't really seem to actually have much of an effect on the future once you go beyond 10-20 years, because it's not a real single continuity beyond specific sagas, it's instead a very fantasy-esque cycles of history approach (the Sith rise up/the Jedi beat them back/they both disappear for a while so that people think the Force is a myth/lather rinse repeat).

4 hours ago, CayceG said:

This is literally a Marvel style continuity. 

The era is not something I find interesting. I don't want to follow a group of not-the-Avengers-Jedi as they fight some big bad not-Thanos-Sith through the galaxy. 

Worthless. 

Interestingly, TPM and AOTC set rules for this era: 

• Jedi don't know about Sith, think they've been dead for 1,000 years
  • No full-scale war in this era (since formation of Republic)

The way to get around this? Have the entire movie series take place in the Unknown Regions (which the leak suggests), and make sure that any Jedi involved die by the end. Then you can have a war and everything.

Or you can ignore the 3 or 4 lines in the PT that set up the history of the Republic.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Interestingly, TPM and AOTC set rules for this era: 

• Jedi don't know about Sith, think they've been dead for 1,000 years
  • No full-scale war in this era (since formation of Republic)

The way to get around this? Have the entire movie series take place in the Unknown Regions (which the leak suggests), and make sure that any Jedi involved die by the end. Then you can have a war and everything.

Or you can ignore the 3 or 4 lines in the PT that set up the history of the Republic.

OR: This rumor is bullshit and should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CayceG said:

This is literally a Marvel style continuity. 

The era is not something I find interesting. I don't want to follow a group of not-the-Avengers-Jedi as they fight some big bad not-Thanos-Sith through the galaxy. 

Worthless. 

This is the worst take ever lol.

Edit: To add, this garbage is why ROS is what it is.

9 minutes ago, Jose said:

This is the worst take ever lol.

Edit: To add, this garbage is why ROS is what it is.

I said that in reference to it being a series of films connected together rather than telling an overarching story. 

What I'm saying is, I don't like the Marvel movies. 

• Guillotine 1

13 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

pretty much sums up what has been going on with Star Wars since the very beginning. Seems like every time a new movie hits they overlook what has been said in the past, don't see any reason for them to stop doing that now.  

15 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I AM CORUSCANT’S RESGUOHFWFJFFG

Hey what if Nolan did a Star War. 

Jedis would barely be in it, it will be all about the shit happening on a societal level and the Sith would have master plans that don't involve retconning but will require leaps of logic that you can fill with "the force"

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Pimply horny teenage Yoda? :daydream:

If the rumor is true he’ll still be around 500 years old. lol 

yeah, I dunno. Maybe it won’t involve Jedi at all,  or rarely. 

Though there may not have been any Sith the Jedi were aware of, doesn’t mean they didn’t have a Fallen Jedi or two turn into dark Jedi. 

Maybe we follow some Dark Jedi and at the end as they fall deeper into the dark side to approach Sith level the actual hidden Sith find them and remove them as they approach being rivals in the dark side at that point. 

there are possibilities as it is an otherwise unexplored time period. 

Man can you imagine how much the neck beards would rage if a regular trooper tossed aside and then went toe to toe with force users like that lol

Also, man did you see all those crazy light saber decapitations and limb severing in that? Still can’t believe Fallen Order got it so wrong. Game is so lame. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Man can you imagine how much the neck beards would rage if a regular trooper tossed aside and then went toe to toe with force users like that lol

Also, man did you see all those crazy light saber decapitations and limb severing in that? Still can’t believe Fallen Order got it so wrong. Game is so lame. 

“Regular” people hang with Force users pretty regularly in Clone Wars, Rebels, etc., and it’s fine.

Also people get hit with lightsabers pretty regularly in Clone Wars, Rebels, and even RotJ without getting dismembered, and it’s also fine.

So this is about the Benioff and Weiss series? Sure seems suspect.

If it is true, I'm fine with the setting. There is such a wide range of what could be done that the setting alone is far from enough to have any expectation of if it would be any good or not.