Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

21 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Probably a good thing its not a long Gameplay demo.  We all know basically what AC is about, so not point in waiting 10 minutes of a show on it.  Show us a quick in game teaser of it then move on.  

Put me in the opposite camp.  It’s super disappointing that they can’t deliver gameplay demonstration yet with the 11 studios they’re throwing at it.  They did it with Unity last go around.

20 minutes ago, Duderino said:

What was the last first party Xbox game to show a live on-stage gameplay demo at E3?  I honestly can’t remember.

It certainly wasn’t Gears 5.  They panned down to a play area underneath the stage then showed a 5 minute cinematic promo for a multiplayer mode.

Last year’s E3 was pretty much apex of that shit to me.  I remember FF7 and Star Wars being two of the only stage demos the entire conference.  They weren’t bad demos, but they get all the more credit for showing up.

Even CD Projekt Red didn’t have the guts to show their Cyberpunk demo initially.  They delayed it for the public so they could get a second wind of coverage.  So in the meanwhile, they shove Keanu in our faces and the crowd goes wild.

Speaks for the industry as a whole, really.

2 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Nothing so far has looked all too impressive so far from a graphical standpoint.

The very first game with the titanfall-esque movement made by the one Chinese guy looked impressive. It's the one so far that I thought would not look like that in gameplay.

Well that was a waste of time and not the best thing to start off with MS. It pretty much looked like what they would have shown at E3 for XB1 that will also have some improvements on X with only like 1/2 games really showing off actual improvements. 

I think the only cool thing for me was seeing that XB fans will get Yakuza 7 which is great as a long time fan of the series. Yet I hate how that trailer did it's damndest to hide that it's an RPG and made it out to look like a brawler which this game is not (but previous ones were). 

So AC was the only heavy hitter. It seems like every time they do these game show cases they are smaller scale "indie" games where maybe 1 or 2 look interesting and the rest is filler. Though they did get 2 Japanese games in there. 

8 minutes ago, elbobo said:

none of that looked particularly next gen to me 

Yea, outside of some reflections or light sources being ray traced here and there along with some improved depth of field in some brief moments, it mostly looked like current gen being rendered at 4k with proper textures.

BUT, keep in mind that this is all third party with cross-generational games. First party is likely to show off graphics.

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The very first game with the titanfall-esque movement made by the one Chinese guy looked impressive. It's the one so far that I thought would not look like that in gameplay.

It looks fun. That’s the one I was talking about with the HDR/SDR - my fiancé said “...why are the colors all weird?” I said “I think this is an HDR video that they’re showing in SDR...?” :lol: 

Yeah, horrible show.

Don't advertise it as "First Series X Gameplay", and its hardly any gameplay at all if any, and everything looks like regular current gen games, even a lot of bad games by today's standards.

I went in with low expectations, and even then was still disappointed.  I knew AC Valhalla wasn't going to be real gameplay, and even then it was still disappointing. It showed nothing much more than the initial trailer.

The entire way it was presented was just poor.  If this was a showcase done as a middle event during these monthly events, then it'd be fine.  Advertise it as, we are getting a lot of support from all types of developers, big and small, working on Series X games, then it'd be fine.

As your first coming out party for your new Hardware, very very underwhelming.

Wow.  That was a huge disappointment.  Anyone who thinks AA games no longer exist should watch that video.

First impressions are huge -- and my first impression of Xbox Series X "gameplay" is 'meh'.  That box should be capable of great things; MS should be showing them.

(Note:  Did you notice how careful MS worded all of their comments on what hardware they were running the trailers on?  Not once did they say that any of them were running on SeX hardware.)

It does seem like every time MS does some games blowout it's mostly AA fodder where a couple look interesting and the rest is meh. While it's fine they support these games, it doesn't really dispel the "Xbox has no games" stuff. It's getting to the point where they say hey we're going to do a games blowout next week and instead of being excited I"m going to think it's another 30 AA games. 

As an xbox homer - I have to agree with everyone else.  That was just a really bad show.  I'm pretty sure the problem was the game selection.  The only games from that list that I will probably ever play will be Madden and AC.  And as has already been said - nothing they were showing didn't look like what an xbox could already do.  Gears 5 on a One X right now looks better than any game shown today (maybe with the exception of AC - but going off the footage shown my statement stands).