Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

WCCFTech: Xbox Series S/Lockhart Will Be Half The Price Of The Series X; July Event Will Be A “Night Of Mic Drops” – Rumor

Last I heard it be half the price of the XSX and last i heard MS were prepared for a $400 XSX. I am not sure what the final price will be. I think if sony is $500/$600 MS may try to go in at $200/$400/$500 but we will see

But from what I"ve heard from all my sources July isn't about sony , July is about the industry and they want it to be a night of mic drops . They are going to come hard with the strategy they have been building up to for years and they want google , amazon , apple , sony and yes Nintendo to shaken up . So expect a series of Mic drop moments followed by the price being the key part of all this.

:raisedbrow: This better be the greatest presentation of all time to live up to that hype.

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This info is horse shit and what gives it away is the "XBSS - $200".  I believe there are post on resetera that have pointed to this source also being wrong many times (specifically in calling out studios that MS was in talks to buy). 

Xbox Series X will be $500 for the model that comes with a controller. Maybe there is a model without the controller and no disc drive that comes in at $400... As for Lockheart I would expect it to be around $250 it needs to be cheaper than the One X. I actually think Lockheart hasn't been announced yet because they went back to make some last minute changes and it will be more powerful than people expect.

I hadn't, until JUST NOW, thought about the potential possibility of releasing a new console WITHOUT a controller at all because of backward/forward compatibility within the company's ecosystem. Not having a controller with the console box already shaves off dozens of dollars, add to it removal of the disc drive and if M$ was nuts enough, I could see the Lockhart coming out at a price point of $250-300.

What I am curious of, with regards to that however, is what will happen with the One S/One X!? Will they ALSO announce that not only they will do away with the One S and have a digital only One X, but also have the disc drive capable One X at perhaps $150/250 price points?

That would be 4 SKUs, 3 of which are new. Meanwhile, IF they decide to mitigate lost revenue by not including a controller with the console(s) EXCEPT for the "premiere" Xbox Series X and base it solely on all prior XB1 controllers work with all NEW SKUs then all of a sudden revealing the premiere console at a $400 price point doesn't sound QUITE as insane. Risky for sure but not as crazy when put in such a way. All this itself would be quite a mic drop actually.

What do I get if I'm actually right in this post?

20 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

I hadn't, until JUST NOW, thought about the potential possibility of releasing a new console WITHOUT a controller at all because of backward/forward compatibility within the company's ecosystem. Not having a controller with the console box already shaves off dozens of dollars, add to it removal of the disc drive and if M$ was nuts enough, I could see the Lockhart coming out at a price point of $250-300.

What I am curious of, with regards to that however, is what will happen with the One S/One X!? Will they ALSO announce that not only they will do away with the One S and have a digital only One X, but also have the disc drive capable One X at perhaps $150/250 price points?

That would be 4 SKUs, 3 of which are new. Meanwhile, IF they decide to mitigate lost revenue by not including a controller with the console(s) EXCEPT for the "premiere" Xbox Series X and base it solely on all prior XB1 controllers work with all NEW SKUs then all of a sudden revealing the premiere console at a $400 price point doesn't sound QUITE as insane. Risky for sure but not as crazy when put in such a way. All this itself would be quite a mic drop actually.

chocolate cookie GIF

• Like 1

You know taking this multiple SKUs thing into perspective. Check this out:

You know Xbox has design lab where you can customize your own controller for varying prices. What if they apply the same thing to the XboxSex? You want a package without a controller (because you already have one) you want one without a disc drive, you want one that has a faster chip (I dunno) then customize all these in the design lab and you've got your own custom priced Xbox.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You know Xbox has design lab where you can customize your own controller for varying prices. What if they apply the same thing to the XboxSex? You want a package without a controller (because you already have one) you want one without a disc drive, you want one that has a faster chip (I dunno) then customize all these in the design lab and you've got your own custom priced Xbox.

This is a fantastic idea but I think it might be a bit much at launch (we are just going to assume for the first 6 months they will sell out without something like this in place). 

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

You get

:mhug::kiss::fap::call:

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That design lab idea is very forward thinking and worth looking at implementing moving forward a year into the generation perhaps?

Any guesses as to when the July event takes place? Definitely after the 4th however would it be immediately following the holiday or not until mid-month. I would think they'd steer clear of the back end of July seeing as that will be around the time the virtual SDCC is going on?

2 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Any guesses as to when the July event takes place? Definitely after the 4th however would it be immediately following the holiday or not until mid-month. I would think they'd steer clear of the back end of July seeing as that will be around the time the virtual SDCC is going on?

Nah, let's do it on the 4th America's console!

My personal view on the price possibilities...

Today,  Xbox One X is the more powerful hardware, and retails for $300.  PS4 Pro retails at $400 and is still selling out it seems.

Xbox went with $500 price on the One X, and probably saw that even with the superior hardware, their brand strength still wasn't anywhere close to Playstation.

Playstation is selling the weaker PS4 Pro for $400 and selling out, why would Sony sell the PS5, a much nicer modern piece of tech, for the same price as its current box.  I think Sony knows they have the mind share and credibility to go higher and easily sell out, especially since they came out earlier in the year saying supply maybe limited for the first 6 months or whatever.  I can see Sony's price being at least $500 for the high end box, but would not shock me if it's higher, which was why they went with 2 SKU's.

I think Microsoft will take into account the fact they are currently at $300 MRSP for the more powerful Xbox One X, with it even sometimes going on even deeper discount during some sales.  If they are willing to sell the One X at $300, it wouldn't surprise me if they are willing to sell the Series X at $400, and Lockhart at $200.  I don' think Microsoft necessarily cares about how much hardware they sell, but I do think they care about userbase, because that user base is the potential pool of subscribers for Game Pass.

If Microsoft's end game is Game Pass Subscriptions, then I can see them getting crazy aggressive on price.  If they are betting that every Xbox owner will also be a Game Pass subscriber, that's a potential $120 a year in Game Pass Sub, as well as Xbox Live Gold, as well as the higher % take from Digital sales.  Getting players into your ecosystem is worth the early loss on the hardware.  As I stated in an different thread, for these Subscription Services, content is king.  Microsoft invested in buying up a lot of studios to bolster their Game Pass offerings, to sell subscriptions, not to sell Hardware.  The more subscribers and monthly revenue they get from Game Pass, the more buying power they have to do deals with other companies for their games, and the more money they have to keep investing in other studios and projects to have more exclusive content for Game Pass.  But they need to come out with a Boom this generation to get that snowball rolling.  Which is why I think the lower prices make sense.  

Microsoft was said to be at 10 million Game Pass Subscribers, I'd imagine Microsoft internally has much much loftier goals this gen.  They got to 10 million with a relatively week 1st Party Exclusive portfolio this gen.  Halo Infinite alone could be a juggernaut for the service.

In a month, hopefully we finally know more.  Eventually one of these companies is gonna have to drop a price.

The cheapest console launch price adjusted for inflation is the GameCube, at $293.

A $200 Lockhart that isn’t a straight up streaming box is crazy talk.  And since we now know that xCloud won’t be upgraded with Series X servers until next year, even a streaming box probably wouldn’t launch this year.

As for Games Pass giving them leverage to cut deeper than otherwise, it’s very plausible.  But I’m expecting a price hike for the service itself.  If for nothing else than to keep up with the price of standard retail releases, likely to increase to $70.  

Also, their goal isn’t merely Games Pass revenue by the numbers.  It’s Ultimate’s.  That added sum is the golden nugget.

11 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I do have an elite v2 controller, so actually I would be all over a $400 XSX digital edition with just the console. Would be nice if they made that an option. 

Microsoft has said that all XBO controllers are supported.  And even that the Series X controller will work with the XBO family.

Controllers are undoubtedly one of the most marked up items the console manufactures sell.  The tech and materials have gotten better over the years, but 3rd party manufacturers have been completely shut out and we're paying as much for these things as AAA games now.

I hate it.  If they weren't so damn expensive we might have seen more couch co-op and split screen games in the past decade.

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft has said that all XBO controllers are supported.  And even that the Series X controller will work with the XBO family.

Controllers are undoubtedly one of the most marked up items the console manufactures sell.  The tech and materials have gotten better over the years, but 3rd party manufacturers have been completely shut out and we're paying as much for these things as AAA games now.

I hate it.  If they weren't so damn expensive we might have seen more couch co-op and split screen games in the past decade.

The Nintendo pro controller is like 70 bucks!

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

The cheapest console launch price adjusted for inflation is the GameCube, at $293.

A $200 Lockhart that isn’t a straight up streaming box is crazy talk.  And since we now know that xCloud won’t be upgraded with Series X servers until next year, even a streaming box probably wouldn’t launch this year.

As for Games Pass giving them leverage to cut deeper than otherwise, it’s very plausible.  But I’m expecting a price hike for the service itself.  If for nothing else than to keep up with the price of standard retail releases, likely to increase to $70.  

Also, their goal isn’t merely Games Pass revenue by the numbers.  It’s Ultimate’s.  That added sum is the golden nugget.

Are they planning on everything on Xbox also being available on PC (possibly requiring Game Pass) or will there still be stuff that's only available on Xbox? 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Are they planning on everything on Xbox also being available on PC (possibly requiring Game Pass) or will there still be stuff that's only available on Xbox? 

I think the plan is for the majority of 1st party games to be on pc. 2nd and 3rd party have no expectations. 

6 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think the plan is for the majority of 1st party games to be on pc. 2nd and 3rd party have no expectations. 

But...will you really have to actively do anything to get your game to run on Windows if it runs on an Xbox?

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

But...will you really have to actively do anything to get your game to run on Windows if it runs on an Xbox?

Beyond having a capable PC? No. And there are no longer MS published games that aren’t on PC. All are cross-release and have been so for awhile now.

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Beyond having a capable PC? No. And there are no longer MS published games that aren’t on PC. All are cross-release and have been so for awhile now.

I was talking about the 2nd/3rd party games though where number is saying Microsoft isn't going to enforce it...it sounds like even for those 2nd/3rd party games the only reason for a game to be on Xbox but not on PC is because the developer decides they don't want extra sales, right?

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

I was talking about the 2nd/3rd party games though where number is saying Microsoft isn't going to enforce it...it sounds like even for those 2nd/3rd party games the only reason for a game to be on Xbox but not on PC is because the developer decides they don't want extra sales, right?

MS doesn’t own 3rd parties, ie: EA, so how could they force them to put games on the PC? That’s at the publisher’s discretion. 2nd party is typically MS published, they should be on both platforms.

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

MS doesn’t own 3rd parties, ie: EA, so how could they force them to put games on the PC? That’s at the publisher’s discretion. 2nd party is typically MS published, they should be on both platforms.

I'm not asking if Microsoft could force EA to do it. I'm saying that if no additional work would be done to make it run on PC if it runs on Xbox then the only reason for it to not also be on PC would be if EA just decides they just don't want it on PC for whatever reason, right? There would no longer be the excuse of not wanting to put the time and money into porting it.