Xbox Series X | S OT - Power Your Dreams, update: FTC case unredacted documents leaked, including XSX mid-generation refresh, new gyro/haptic-enabled controller, and next-generation plans for 2028

Pikachu

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not asking if Microsoft could force EA to do it. I'm saying that if no additional work would be done to make it run on PC if it runs on Xbox then the only reason for it to not also be on PC would be if EA just decides they just don't want it on PC for whatever reason, right? There would no longer be the excuse of not wanting to put the time and money into porting it.

I'm not a developer, but I'd think theres some minor work needed to port a game, but they've simplified to the point that just about every game that comes out on an Xbox will also be on PC.

Maybe a few smaller indie games might not, but even thats probably doubtful.

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not asking if Microsoft could force EA to do it. I'm saying that if no additional work would be done to make it run on PC if it runs on Xbox then the only reason for it to not also be on PC would be if EA just decides they just don't want it on PC for whatever reason, right? There would no longer be the excuse of not wanting to put the time and money into porting it.

Devs/Publishers have ignored PC for years, inexplicably, it’s been becoming less common but it’s nothing new or strange.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Devs/Publishers have ignored PC for years, inexplicably, it’s been becoming less common but it’s nothing new or strange.

What I'm mostly curious about I guess is that an Xbox already seemed redundant for this generation if you have a gaming PC and it seems like next generation it's going to be even more redundant in that regard, and just wanted to confirm that. Whereas it sounds like PS5 will still have exclusives for it, even if it's just from Sony artificially locking in exclusives and not because it's a big porting effort to move things over to PC.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You all missed the elephant in the room.  EA games won't be on Games Pass on any platform because EA Access is a thing.

The conversation wasn’t about Game Pass, though. I used EA as a random 3rd Party example, anyway. :p 

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

What I'm mostly curious about I guess is that an Xbox already seemed redundant for this generation if you have a gaming PC and it seems like next generation it's going to be even more redundant in that regard, and just wanted to confirm that. Whereas it sounds like PS5 will still have exclusives for it, even if it's just from Sony artificially locking in exclusives and not because it's a big porting effort to move things over to PC.

Correct, except for games that do not come to PC. ie: Kingdom Hearts. Their target for the hardware is console only gamers, for PC they make money via licensing fees, windows store sales, and game pass subscriptions.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

If you have a good PC the Xbox  is redundant. AAA devs skipping PC port are few and far between enough its not a concern.

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pretty much.  Except this time it's that way from the start of the generation.  There's a few perks that might never make it to PC: Backwards compatibility with old Xbox games you own.  Retroactive HDR in those titles.  Reduced controller latency?

PC is the way to go from a library standpoint.  Possibly a price one too, accounting for no XBL fees and cheaper games generally.  PC GPU's (NVIDIA) could also be expected to punch above their weight class compared to consoles as well, with DLSS 2.0.

10 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

If you have a good PC the Xbox  is redundant. AAA devs skipping PC port are few and far between enough its not a concern.

If it's anything like this gen, you'll get indies later and fewer Japanese games if you stick to a Microsoft console.  Hopefully the later won't be the case this go around.

15 hours ago, Jason said:

That is incorrect.  More work is done to bring a game to a PC -- however, given the size of the PC market, I can't imagine an Xbox game not being worth putting in the effort.

14 hours ago, Jason said:

If you have a capable enough gaming machine, the only reasons I can think of getting an Xbox is the inconsistent implementation of HDR on PC games, to get access to a larger library in GamePass and to take advantage of Xbox backwards compatibility.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That is incorrect.  More work is done to bring a game to a PC -- however, given the size of the PC market, I can't imagine an Xbox game not being worth putting in the effort.

If you have a capable enough gaming machine, the only reasons I can think of getting an Xbox is the inconsistent implementation of HDR on PC games, to get access to a larger library in GamePass and to take advantage of Xbox backwards compatibility.

I have a pretty decent gaming PC and also a One X.  The reason for me is because I have kids.  It is pretty nice to share a library and have multiple locations to play games.  We can even play together on many games.  Having a console as a second machine to play xbox games is much cheaper than a 2nd PC and also more kid friendly.  

16 hours ago, Jason said:

The only real reason to buy a Series X if you have a good gaming PC, is the Backwards Compatibility perks.  With Cross Play seeming like it'll be the norm for all games, the entire, my friends play on Xbox argument is less valid than last gen.

The work they've put into Backwards Compatibility is the main reason I'm getting one.  I have like 600 games on my Xbox One now.  All those games will run and play best on Series X.  I get a feeling quite a few may get the resolution boost, some may get x2 FPS speeds, as well as the added HDR.  That is well worth it for me, especially with all the games from this gen I still haven't had a chance to play yet.

I just bought a gaming PC so I might be safe from buying the next system, but still play the games with my friends. I pretty much bought it to play Halo: MCC with my friends that moved onto just a PC for their needs. I have 2080 Super which should be enough for a few years hopefully, because I know nothing on PC needs but rely on my brother for his input.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

The only real reason to buy a Series X if you have a good gaming PC, is the Backwards Compatibility perks.  With Cross Play seeming like it'll be the norm for all games, the entire, my friends play on Xbox argument is less valid than last gen.

The work they've put into Backwards Compatibility is the main reason I'm getting one.  I have like 600 games on my Xbox One now.  All those games will run and play best on Series X.  I get a feeling quite a few may get the resolution boost, some may get x2 FPS speeds, as well as the added HDR.  That is well worth it for me, especially with all the games from this gen I still haven't had a chance to play yet.

By far the biggest advantage Series X has with older games is retroactive HDR.  Microsoft has said nothing about porting an API for it to the PC.

But I would still trade HDR in a heartbeat for the higher resolution textures and graphical features PC versions typically have (or can be modded with).  Likewise, AI upscaled texture packs and reshade effects are becoming more available in emulators too.

Nothing will beat a proper remaster.  But for games where devs don't update it themselves, PC ports and the modding & emulation community will win out more times than not.  Better textures / lighting / draw distances / etc.

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

What compatibility perks?

Boosted resolution on some old games, boosted frame rates on some old games, faster or no load times.  Added HDR support on all games.

If you have a large enough library of old games on Xbox, and you want to preserve that library and play some of them better than they've ever played on console, then I think it would be worth it to buy a Series X. 

10 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Boosted resolution on some old games, boosted frame rates on some old games.  Added HDR support on all games.

If you have a large enough library of old games on Xbox, and you want to preserve that library and play some of them better than they've ever played on console, then I think it would be worth it to buy a Series X. 

But a person with a dedicated gaming PC might not have a large backlog of Xbox games.  And in many cases, would be better off having the PC version for a superior looking game, HDR excepting.

9 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

But a person with a dedicated gaming PC might not have a large backlog of Xbox games.  And in many cases, would be better off owning the PC version for a better looking experience outside of HDR.

Why bring up someone without a large backlog of Xbox games when I said Back Compat could be the big reason for buying one?  It's pretty self explanatory if you have no investment in the Xbox platform or library of games, that doesn't speak to you. 

I own a 2080ti i9900k gaming PC, and have 550 games on my Xbox Library, all digital.  I have no intentions of re-buying those games on PC.  

And one of the biggest improvements I've personally seen in gaming in the past 3 or so years, was the addition of HDR, so if Xbox can implement HDR effectively into all titles, why wouldn't I want that?  Assuming the box is $500, that's a small price to pay to keep my prior investment of 500+ games going forward playing better than they've ever played.  Not to mention, not all those titles are even available on PC, and I have little to no interest in downloading emulators, mods, and all that.

Obviously not everyone is in the same boat as me, but for those that have primarily gamed on Xbox and may have recently invested in a Gaming PC, I definitely think its worth it to buy a Series X for back compat alone.

22 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What kind of self-respecting married man plays video games in his bedroom? Move it out to the garage like the rest of us. :p

My wife loves to watch me play PUBG with the guys

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Why bring up someone without a large backlog of Xbox games when I said Back Compat could be the big reason for buying one?  It's pretty self explanatory if you have no investment in the Xbox platform or library of games, that doesn't speak to you. 

I own a 2080ti i9900k gaming PC, and have 550 games on my Xbox Library, all digital.  I have no intentions of re-buying those games on PC.  

And one of the biggest improvements I've personally seen in gaming in the past 3 or so years, was the addition of HDR, so if Xbox can implement HDR effectively into all titles, why wouldn't I want that?  Assuming the box is $500, that's a small price to pay to keep my prior investment of 500+ games going forward playing better than they've ever played.  Not to mention, not all those titles are even available on PC, and I have little to no interest in downloading emulators, mods, and all that.

Obviously not everyone is in the same boat as me, but for those that have primarily gamed on Xbox and may have recently invested in a Gaming PC, I definitely think its worth it to buy a Series X for back compat alone.

Yes, for someone like you that is invested in that ecosystem consistently generation by generation, it’s a good argument.  But that’s no more a positive than someone who’s been invested in the PC space, which never had to wait or hold out hope for library consistency in the same way.  (I still have my original Xbox for Ootogi)

I also don’t see the major benefit of HDR for games that were still scaled back from their PC releases.  I love HDR and what it brings to the table.  But it’s not worth the trade-off IMO.  Vivid colors won’t improve worse textures and draw distances.  

Mods, etc are just a bonus on top of that for those who want it.  And is getting easier to want it with ESGAN, Gigapixel and the like.  It’s the most exciting thing to happen to retro gaming in years.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, for someone like you that is invested in that ecosystem consistently generation by generation, it’s a good argument.  But that’s no more a positive than someone who’s been invested in the PC space, which never had to wait or hold out hope for library consistency in the same way.  (I still have my original Xbox for Ootogi)

I also don’t see the major benefit of HDR for games that were still scaled back from their PC releases.  I love HDR and what it brings to the table.  But it’s not worth the trade-off IMO.  Vivid colors won’t improve worse textures and draw distances.  

Mods, etc are just a bonus on top of that for those who want it.  And is getting easier to want it with ESGAN, Gigapixel and the like.  It’s the most exciting thing to happen to retro gaming in years.

Who is arguing anything about PC Gaming here?  I honestly don't understand your argument?  Someone is invested heavily in PC Gaming, then yeah, I wouldn't expect them to buy an Xbox Series X for its backwards compatibility?  I love gaming on my PC, even if I haven't messed much with Mods and other things.  I know the benefits of PC gaming.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what Microsoft is investing in Backwards Compatibility for people that are invested in it's ecosystem.  If you are invested in Xbox' ecosystem, then I think it's worth investing in the Series X to be able to play all those previous games better.

A lot of the people I personally game with, were all heavy Xbox gamers starting this gen.  In the last few years, mainly for competitive gaming like Warzone, Fortnite, Apex, they've invested heavily into PC gaming to get maximum frame-rates at 1080p.  Speaking to those people, they aren't sure if they are going to buy the console or not yet at launch, but they have said they are leaning towards it due to the large library of Xbox games they already have, and also as someone else brought up, ease of use for family gaming.

Now obviously the Xbox One X already plays those older games with some enhancements, so one would need to ask if they think the added enhancements from the One X to the Series X would also be worth it.  That is the main reason many of my friends said they may not upgrade at first, and wait a few years.

48 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've been invested in the Xbox ecosystem as well but the thing is if you have a lot of 3rd party games for the Xbox 360 they are already available on PC (most of them anyway) so investing n an Xbox for that isn't something super special.

I know I can get PC games generally really cheap, but again, I have no intention on buying over 500+ games over on PC, when I can pay $500 for the convenience of a console already making those previous games better to play 

I generally used 360 BC on the XB1 to catch up and play games in a Franchise I missed out on.  So when Witcher 3 came out, I played Witcher 2 on BC. I got to play Deus Ex on 360 before I play Mankind Divided, ect.  I owned a lot of those games on 360 already just never got around to playing them, and my backlog on XB1 is far larger now than it was before, so I am actually really excited for the added improvements coming to Series X.  

Buying video games aren't an investment.  Investments, by definition, are expected to gain value and provide a return.

You already have a box under your TV that plays those games fine under your TV, why does spending $500 to have them play marginally better, while I assume, you are not buying new games for the box (because your PC plays them better) make sense?

As someone who has a pretty significant library on both Sony/MS console ecosystems -- that is not something I would do.

AS to the Xbox being more kid friendly -- how do I convince my kids of this?  They keep wanting to use my gaming PC (and the family laptop) because Roblox/Minecraft play better with Mouse/keyboard (and wanting to chat with friends on Discord).

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Buying video games aren't an investment.  Investments, by definition, are expected to gain value and provide a return.

You already have a box under your TV that plays those games fine under your TV, why does spending $500 to have them play marginally better, while I assume, you are not buying new games for the box (because your PC plays them better) make sense?

As someone who has a pretty significant library on both Sony/MS console ecosystems -- that is not something I would do.

AS to the Xbox being more kid friendly -- how do I convince my kids of this?  They keep wanting to use my gaming PC (and the family laptop) because Roblox/Minecraft play better with Mouse/keyboard (and wanting to chat with friends on Discord).

TBF: the return on an investment doesn’t have to be monetary. His joy had from buying a game could, AFAIK, be considered a return on his investment.

Monetarily, though, yea, games are generally a horrible investment... unless you bought Earth Bound for SNES and never opened it, then :money:. :p 

An investment and being invested are two different things.

I tried the PC gaming and it’s too much of

a hassle for me. I like the simplicity of consoles. Buy, plug/insert/dl and play.  I enjoy playing games way more than tinkering. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

2020 and we're still having these PC/Console discussions? Unbelievable. 

You can’t escape it. Happening in both console threads. Someone beat these people back into the PCCB subboard. 

get out GIF

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

2020 and we're still having these PC/Console discussions? Unbelievable. 

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

You can’t escape it. Happening in both console threads. Someone beat these people back into the PCCB subboard. 

The discussion is “if you have a gaming PC, is there a reason to own the new Xbox since all first party games are now cross released?”, it’s not a “PC vs Console” debate at all. Feel free to contribute if you have something to add, though. I’ll be buying the new Xbox despite my gaming PC for the backwards compatibility of OG XBOX and 360 titles, and the chance of a third party console exclusive that runs better on the new Xbox over the PS5 (or runs the same, as I prefer the Xbox controller). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

get out GIF

I mean it's like we KNOW games play better on PC and you have MODS and Raytracing and all of that shit... WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT. @JPDunks4 has a monster rig... I have a decent PC that I edit on that runs games pretty well at high settings. I STILL prefer to game on my consoles. There's a whole PC gaming board that these guys can circle jerk in over their graphic cards yet here they are... in both next gen console threads :| Hilarious.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean it's like we KNOW games play better on PC and you have MODS and Raytracing and all of that shit... WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT. @JPDunks4 has a monster rig... I have a decent PC that I edit on that runs games pretty well at high settings. I STILL prefer to game on my consoles. There's a whole PC gaming board that these guys can circle jerk in over their graphic cards yet here they are... in both next gen console threads :| Hilarious.

It’s a hardware only board, actually.