The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

Has no one mentioned the black security guard that was chased and shot (and killed) by police in LA today? Turns out the police may have destroyed all the cameras in the next-door store, and also stole the DVR recordings:

Original story:

Cops say they had a report of black man with a gun, so they approached him and he flashed a gun and then ran (why?). He was on-duty as a security guard. They then shot him in the back alley while he was apparently running, but possible already on his knees.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:02 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Has no one mentioned the black security guard that was chased and shot (and killed) by police in LA today? Turns out the police may have destroyed all the cameras in the next-door store, and also stole the DVR recordings:

Original story:

Cops say they had a report of black man with a gun, so they approached him and he flashed a gun and then ran (why?). He was on-duty as a security guard. They then shot him in the back alley while he was apparently running, but possible already on his knees.

He wasn't black he was El Salvadorian but I suppose to cops and sheriff's brown people all look the same. It's fucked up as he was actually 18 years old. This one hits close to home as I remember my little brothers first job was being a security guard. Sheriff's still haven't gave an official explaination as to why they were their and why they shot him 7 times. And the cops did take down all the security cameras and took the DVR footage from the business.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

He wasn't black he was El Salvadorian but I suppose to cops and sheriff's brown people all look the same. It's fucked up as he was actually 18 years old. This one hits close to home as I remember my little brothers first job was being a security guard. Sheriff's still haven't gave an official explaination as to why they were there and why they shot him 6 times. The cops did take down all the security cameras and took the DVR footage from the business.

As bad as Police Departments are, Sheriffs departments are even worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/503685-protesters-tear-down-statues-of-union-general-ulysses-s-grant-national%3famp

Protesters in San Francisco on Friday toppled the statue of former President Grant, who led the Union Army during the Civil War, in Golden Gate Park.

San Francisco police said that approximately 400 people gathered around 8 p.m. to take down the statue, though no arrests were made, according to NBC Bay Area.

Also torn down in the park on Friday were the statues of St. Junipero Serra and Francis Scott Key, who wrote the lyrics to "The Star-Spangled Banner."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/arts/design/roosevelt-statue-to-be-removed-from-museum-of-natural-history.amp.html

The bronze statue of Theodore Roosevelt, on horseback and flanked by a Native American man and an African man, which has presided over the entrance to the American Museum of Natural History in New York since 1940, is coming down.

The decision, proposed by the museum and agreed to by New York City, which owns the building and property, came after years of objections from activists and at a time when the killing of George Floyd has initiated an urgent nationwide conversation about racism.

For many, the equestrian statue at the museum’s Central Park West entrance has come to symbolize a painful legacy of colonial expansion and racial discrimination.

We shouldn't lionize, ideologize, or elevate politicians for one. For two, Teddy should not be up anywhere either. We shouldn't be celebrating our imperialism, even though he did some good things. And in the context of a natural history museum it is his imperialism that is being elevated.

Grant is good aside from native American issues. There he is really bad

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

For two, Teddy should not be up anywhere either. We shouldn't be celebrating our imperialism, even though he did some good things.

Is the Roosevelt statue removal even about Roosevelt? I mean, this is the statue:

merlin_173727570_20211fc1-f059-4e09-aef9

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's about what the statue depicts. Roosevelt still has numerous honors throughout the museum and even his descendants support the removal of this statue in particular.

That's what I'm saying. If it were just Roosevelt on a horse I don't see it getting removed, it's the Native American and the black guy pushing it over the line.

Just now, Jason said:

That's what I'm saying. If it were just Roosevelt on a horse I don't see it getting removed, it's the Native American and the black guy pushing it over the line.

Exactly!

I think Roosevelt himself is problematic in a lot of ways, looking through the lens of today. But I still have a ton of respect for a lot of great things he did and love reading about the guy.