Microsoft inexplicably announces Xbox One S All-Digital Edition for $250 (seriously?!?)

Commissar SFLUFAN

I guess it's a bit of a deal because it comes with three games. If you're buying an Xbox and really want Forza, Minecraft, and Sea of Thieves, you're getting a small discount with this bundle. Still, ultimately someone will search Amazon for an Xbox, they'll see this bundle, and then they'll see an Anthem bundle and a Battlefield Bundle and an NBA 2k19 bundle and a Minecraft bundle and most of those will be cheaper.

If you're going to remove the disc drive, they really should lower the price a good bit more. Especially if it's not going to be really small.

*presses CTRL+F*

*ypes in "GB"*

"0/0 results found"

*types in "TB"*

"0/0 results found"

How does this article not mention the hard drive size at all?  FYI I can't believe MS is charging that much and keeping the hard drive at 1TB.  To be even remotely close to a fair $250 value it needs to have at least 2TB, preferably 3TB.

31 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

*presses CTRL+F*

*ypes in "GB"*

"0/0 results found"

*types in "TB"*

"0/0 results found"

How does this article not mention the hard drive size at all?  FYI I can't believe MS is charging that much and keeping the hard drive at 1TB.  To be even remotely close to a fair $250 value it needs to have at least 2TB, preferably 3TB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-one-s-all-digital-edition-xbox/8PS0M24J508Z

Xbox One S 1TB All-Digital Edition console | Xbox Wireless Controller | Minecraft | Sea of Thieves | Forza Horizon 3

40 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I have a 2 TB external and I've only filled it up once and I've been all digital since the launch of the console.

I deleted some stuff because it auto downloads all GWG games that I don't play. :p

I bought a X1S last fall with the intention of going all digital, but I still like having a disk drive for movies and the occasional game I’ll buy on disk. And I got that system for less than $200 (with some Xbox Live and Game Pass included)

The more I think about this, the more I think that they only did this to avoid the kind of blowback they got with the introduction of the Xbox One. There they tried to introduce a new ownership model in addition to a new console and they suffered for it. Here they're just normalizing a familiar model from phone apps / PC games in the console world. When they announce their streaming service or future discless consoles, it won't be much of a shock.

I also think they're purposely not lowering the price too much because they don't want the disc drive to seem that important. If you leave off a feature and it cuts the price in half, the natural assumption is that feature is worth that difference. By making the disc drive a minor price decrease, they're indicating that they don't think it's really worth much to consumers, and they might be right. I know I'm an outlier in having bought a One X largely for the 4K Blu Ray player, but as we've seen BD and DVD sales cut in half over 5 years, it's similarly plausible that many consumers just don't care.

So while we all might scoff at such a small price reduction for such a potentially valuable feature, it's possible that MS is actually being rather savvy here. Setting reasonable expectations and not trying to force through a change that seems inevitable.

It could always be the tactic of a perceived value; In other words, they're gonna sell what they can at $250, without really caring how many they sell, then when the price drop happens, it will be at the price they initially intended to sell at, but at a "big discount."

You know, like if you're haggling at the flea market. Go big, so that when they wittle you down, you're getting the price you originally intended.

I wonder is MS can even save the Xbox. I don't know if it actually needs saving, but I don't see myself owning the next Xbox. Hell, the PS5 is iffy at this rate. There is GOW2 and maybe they will team up with fromsoft for another game, but my future is looking to be one without consoles.