~*The Official Thread of One Term/Twice Impeached/Worst of Them All Presidential Tantrums, Candy Throwing, and Pants Shitting*~

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Can't the president declassify anything they want? Probably nothing that anyone can do anything about. 

I think if the president goes on TV and says something classified then yeah the president is covered by being able to declassify anything. I don't think furtively carting classified documents out of the White House counts as automatically declassifying them.

I would figure that there is an actual bureaucratic process to declassify actual paperwork, even when the President decrees it should happen.  I'd imagine the process happens like this:

1.  President: "I want XYZ declassified"

2. WH staff: "Yes sir"

3. WH staff gathers XYZ documents and the stamped classifications are modified to declassified, along with a paper trail that explains the order from the President.

4. Several days/weeks later, the documents are officially declassified, and used for whatever purpose the President intended.

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I would figure that there is an actual bureaucratic process to declassify actual paperwork, even when the President decrees it should happen.  I'd imagine the process happens like this:

1.  President: "I want XYZ declassified"

2. WH staff: "Yes sir"

3. WH staff gathers XYZ documents and the stamped classifications are modified to declassified, along with a paper trail that explains the order from the President.

4. Several days/weeks later, the documents are officially declassified, and used for whatever purpose the President intended.

lol trump tho

• True 3

3193.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

House panel investigating the attack is already combing through Trump White House documents related to the insurrection.

The supreme court has formally rejected Donald Trump’s request to block the House select committee investigating the Capitol attack from accessing his White House records related to the events of 6 January 2021.

The court announced on Tuesday in its latest list of orders that it would not take up Trump’s appeal to a lower-court ruling allowing the select committee access to the documents.

The news comes a month after the supreme court rejected Trump’s emergency motion to block the release of the documents as his case regarding executive privilege claims made its way through the courts.

• Sicko 2

List of what went wrong during the 'Truth Social' app launch.

Tbh, as much as I want to just dismiss it as an inevitable 'Trump Steaks'-level fail, there's such a thirst for alternate reality in MAGA-world part of me can envision it eventually being a success, and dismissing it smacks too much of election season 2016. :facepalm:

Not a great start, though.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada's relations with the US are going to suffer massively with the US when Trump is re-elected. Unless Poilievre is PM. But then it's the worst universe anyway. But oh god, if Freeland is PM and Trump is President...

2026 invasion pincher move as the U.S. invades Canada from the south and Russia invades North through Alaska....

23 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada's relations with the US are going to suffer massively with the US when Trump is re-elected. Unless Poilievre is PM. But then it's the worst universe anyway. But oh god, if Freeland is PM and Trump is President...

Oh that wouldn't be the worst, the worst would be if Maxime Bernier was PM! 

22 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Yeah, not getting my hopes up

It may not have been very smart to make someone who's part of the decades-long Republican coup operation the Attorney General just because he'd become a shitlib resistance folk hero because of what happened with his SCOTUS nomination.

https://fedsoc.org/contributors/merrick-garland

Also I had always understood the general gist of what Obama was doing with nominating Garland but I hadn't understood until recently that he's literally a Federalist Society who made it onto their SCOTUS nominations list.