The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

All I'm saying is, if they remove Grogu from the show then they will probably lose 50%+ of their audience. We love SW, but people who don't love SW still love Grogu. My wife loves watching the show because they are trying to protect and save him.

if the show stays good they are not going to lose half of their audience lol 

20 hours ago, Bacon said:

masta peece 

I have strong feelings on this. I feel like... This is honestly the most brilliant piece of theme music in the last 20 years. Especially for those following the series who have seen where the components of this piece have originated and how they have evolved into this final symphony. And for music used in the Star Wars franchise? In that context it seems like a bolt of inspiration. A classical take on two year old theme that we've all grown to love alongside the series. It gives it a timeless quality that resonates with the oldest forms of human expression and storytelling. It's honestly kind of magical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I have strong feelings on this. I feel like... This is honestly the most brilliant piece of theme music in the last 20 years. Especially for those following the series who have seen where the components of this piece have originated and how they have evolved into this final symphony. And for music used in the Star Wars franchise? In that context it seems like a bolt of inspiration. A classical take on two year old theme that we've all grown to love alongside the series. It gives it a timeless quality that resonates with the oldest forms of human expression and storytelling. It's honestly kind of magical.

I cum every time I hit 1:43

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Great thread on how Luke's arrival makes TLJ even better, and how this is Luke at the height of his hubris (but is not a bad thing!). Rian Johnson even replies to the final post.

When money becomes no object or the technology improves, we are going to get a Jedi Academy series on Dplus, though it may be a limited run.

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Great thread on how Luke's arrival makes TLJ even better, and how this is Luke at the height of his hubris (but is not a bad thing!). Rian Johnson even replies to the final post.

This is like when people try to explain that Trump actually won the 2020 election.

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, CitizenVectron said:

All I'm saying is, if they remove Grogu from the show then they will probably lose 50%+ of their audience. We love SW, but people who don't love SW still love Grogu. My wife loves watching the show because they are trying to protect and save him.

Yeah my wife also will be out if there is no Grogu. She finds all the latest SW more painfully boring than I do, and while she likes The Mandalorian even sans Grogu a lot more than the other recent stuff, he's still the main draw.

This is what I was hoping a show as innovative as The Mandalorian would do. Unfortunately they (I'm guessing) stuck with the artist-made CGI method of Rogue One, which turned out about what you'd expect.

This channel has other videos like this, fixing Disney's CG replacement with deepfake ones, and it's always 1,000x more convincing.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

This is what I was hoping a show as innovative as The Mandalorian would do. Unfortunately they (I'm guessing) stuck with the artist-made CGI method of Rogue One, which turned out about what you'd expect.

This channel has other videos like this, fixing Disney's CG replacement with deepfake ones, and it's always 1,000x more convincing.

To play devil's advocate, the deepfake just builds on the already-pretty-close work of the CGI face. Without it, the deepfake wouldn't look nearly as good. Having said that, there is an argument to be made that they should spend less time on the initial CGI base and more time on AI-trained software like deepfake to perform the last-mile rendering.

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

To play devil's advocate, the deepfake just builds on the already-pretty-close work of the CGI face. Without it, the deepfake wouldn't look nearly as good. Having said that, there is an argument to be made that they should spend less time on the initial CGI base and more time on AI-trained software like deepfake to perform the last-mile rendering.

Unless I'm mistaken I believe the deepfake is a complete face replacement. The animation was captured from Mark Hamill's on-set performance, but we'll know for sure how they did it in the behind-the-scenes special on the 25th.

18 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Unless I'm mistaken I believe the deepfake is a complete face replacement. The animation was captured from Mark Hamill's on-set performance, but we'll know for sure how they did it in the behind-the-scenes special on the 25th.

How Deepfake works is that it used hundreds of still images from multiple angles and matches it frame-by-frame to the video image (also need stills for this). The closer the original face to the deepfake face, the better it will be. This is why you can't put Obama's face on a Trump video and make it look real, you need to have someone that already looks fairly close to Obama in face-shape, etc. The deepfake in this case used images of Luke from the OT (different angles) and then super-imposed it onto the existing video from Mandalorian. In other words, it used a face that was already 95% similar (the CGI Luke) and then made it better by using actual photos to improve it. 

If they wanted to only use deepfake they'd need an actor with a similar face to young Mark Hamill...and deepfake still isn't perfect, you end up with a lot of weird artifacts and flaws if the person isn't looking directly at the camera. 

7 hours ago, Reputator said:

The lip-sync on both faces is terrible.  Can this technology not bring the lips together to make 'P' sounds?  Try saying "he want's your permission" with your lips not touching...  

We just binged season 2 yesterday from start to finish. I saved it for some of my vacation I had saved up.

What a great show (and great music). They roped us in, and my wife was never a Star Wars fan. They actually built characters people care about, unlike the new movies. The TV formula certainly helps give artists room to develop connections better than film, but it's no excuse for the movies we've been given. This is the best Star Wars since Empire. The only movie that somewhat tapped into this a bit was Rogue One, but it still fell short. 

I'm left with some excitement for the future of Star Wars television shows while not caring a bit about movies until they prove otherwise.

It's close, but I think the deep fake does look like it improved on it.

Give it 7 years, and my guess is deep fakes will be the predominate means to de-age someone, or at least will be a big part of it.

We'll also probably use ML models to fix this lousy fucking CG lip sinking they're using.

• 4 weeks later...

GROUND BREAKING NEWS HERE!!! WE’VE GOT GROUND BREAKING NEWS HERE!!!!

is what we would have said in 2017 when Hamill was pretty clear about his feelings towards TLJ. He said he hated the character when he first read it. But once he saw how it played in the context of the film he was more ok with it and respected the story that was being told. 

But yeah, I mean solid find 👍🏻