The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not surprised by people hating on anything SW, what got me was the defense of JJ and seemingly all the responses to his article agreeing with it. 

I've seen some of those articles, but the ones I read were usually more about hating THE LAST JEDI (or any aspect of SW that offends sad white males threatened by any degree of diversity or inclusion) than staunch defense of JJ.

I must have clicked on the wrong article(s) a few times too many, since my FB feed is now littered by all kinds of poorly written articles pissing and moaning about Gunn/DC's mistreatment of the Snyderverse, any hint of diversity in the MCU (so, so much hatred for the cast of THE MARVELS), etc.  And sadly, closing the articles and noting them as irrelevant hasn't done much to remove them from my feed.

[EDIT]

Oh yeah, and in the past few days, I've definitely seen a slew of articles making an admirable effort to support Majors as ardently (and with as little context) as detractors expressed the moment he was charged last month in NYC.

16 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've seen some takes that The Mandalorian has been Filoni'd and the show is just him playing with action figures now. The tone has changed since the first season but I think something like Andor has shown that Mando might not have been as "serious" as it came off initially.

I haven't watched this new season at all, but has this show ever been anything but that? It always had the sophistication and nuance of a Saturday morning cartoon with a giant budget. It's always felt like someone playing with action figures. This show has never been serious. It's been goofy as hell, over the top and unbelievable (even within the Star Wars universe) from the very beginning.

19 minutes ago, ort said:

I haven't watched this new season at all, but has this show ever been anything but that? It always had the sophistication and nuance of a Saturday morning cartoon with a giant budget. It's always felt like someone playing with action figures. This show has never been serious. It's been goofy as hell, over the top and unbelievable (even within the Star Wars universe) from the very beginning.

I do think that the tone has shifted since season 1. Even if you don't account for an episode like the Lizzo / Jack Black one which has moments of straight up camp, both Din and the show have mellowed out a bit.

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do think that the tone has shifted since season 1. Even if you don't account for an episode like the Lizzo / Jack Black one which has moments of straight up camp, both Din and the show have mellowed out a bit.

Amy Sedaris would like a word with you

Rick Famuyiwa directed episodes are definitely among my favorite episodes, especially visually, so I'm glad the last two of this season turned out to be enjoyable. He was able to tone down the campiness of this season. There were definitely some rushed moments and head scratchers, but overall it was solid.  I also couldn't help but notice

Gideon in Season 2:

gmV1M6T.png

Gideon now:

3xWp6Zl.png

Of course that is the least of the turnabouts for the Gideon character from last season, but we might as well just accept these relatively minor plot holes in Star Wars.

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Rick Famuyiwa directed episodes are definitely among my favorite episodes, especially visually, so I'm glad the last two of this season turned out to be enjoyable.

Shit, yeah. He has CONSISTENTLY done some of my favorite episodes of the series. Easily better than Jon Favreau, even.

Finally binged the season over the last week or so. Loved it. Also got caught up on this thread. Came in expecting some vintage D1P dumpster fire Star Wars takes and the usual suspects delivered in spades! Almost as entertaining as the show itself! Gonna go watch The Last Jedi now and absolutely revel in his moodiness.