The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

On the one hand, I'd be very sad to see Book of Boba Fett be season 3...but on the other hand, I also think there is no point to the Mandalorian without the Din/Grogu relationship. 🤷

i’m very interested where Din’s story goes now with the darksaber and Bo Katan. and he’ll definitely see Grogu again. 

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

Nope, the soap opera effect triggers the hell out of me. I’m watching on a Vizio P65 from 2019.

I think @Ghost_MHand @TwinIon have similar TV’s.

Yup, I have the P65. I shut off all of that frame smoothing bullshit. The higher framerates don't bother me, but only if the content is actually meant for it. I've never found a real time implementation built into a TV that I liked.

4 hours ago, 69los said:

On 12/5/2020 at 8:41 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

So speculation...

Reveal hidden contents

So glad they went for it.

Alright, I know all y’all been waiting for it, so here’s my take. 

I wish it didn’t have to be Luke Skywalker. I kind of agree with those in the fandom that liked that this series could exist in the Star Wars universe without turning into another tale about a Skywalker. But I don’t know who else it could have been since Ashoka didn’t take him. I had kind of hoped the search would continue a bit longer. Take Grogu and Din deeper into Jedi lore Traveling to a chi’s to Jedi temples, find signs of recent (within the last decade or so) visitation by Order 66 survivors, and following their trail to find them. Really, I don’t see too much of a reason Din couldn’t have used the Dark Saber to cut down the the droids other than Luke needed to show up. He may not have been able to block the blaster fire with the Saber, but his armor would have kept him safe enough. 

The Dark Troopers were kind of disappointing. They’re just heavily armored slow, lumbering basic droids. I was expecting these to be like BX-series droid commandos with tougher armor. Something quick, tactical, and hard to kill. Really, slow as they were Din could have cut through them himself with the Dark Saber. 

Gun jammed? Really? lol It doesn’t need to eject a shell casing. 

Luke taking Grogu leaves with so many more questions I feel like I need answered right now than if it had been a random Order 66 survivor. Like was Grogu still at his academy when Ben Solo destroyed everything, or was Grogu done with his training by then and decided the First Order and a rogue dark side Skywalker wasn’t his problem to get involved in? 

Luke finding them felt pretty Deus ex Machina even for Star Wars. Especially for the Mandalorian. Maybe had the X-wing come out of hyperspace with Slave-1, I could think “oh Boba remembered Luke, found him and lead him to the ship to help”. 

All in all the episode is was pretty fucking great though. I loved the raid on the ship, taking out the storm troopers. Gideon was great. The fight with Gideon and Din was great. Luke just systematically cutting a path through every Dark Trooper to the bridge was fun to watch. Seeing him more trained and practiced, moving his lightsaber with purpose and precision. That force crush of the last Dark Trooper was awesome. Very cool. I was moved by the good bye between Grogu and Din. so sweet. The fan service may have been a little heavy in this episode, but fuck off :P ,  it’s fun dammit. 

It was to create tension and drama. Showed strangers working together and looking out for each other for a greater common purpose. 

Grogu wasn’t at Luke’s academy, he was at THE academy. Remember he’s like 50 years old. So if there’s a question, if one is even necessary, it’s how how did he escape Anakin. 

The arrival of a Jedi to be able to track Grogu and come get him was already established earlier in the show. So I don’t think Luke’s arrival was a deus ex Machina, it wasn’t 100% random out of the blue. 

Agreed the Dark Troopers were underwhelming. Not that Luke cut through them so fast, that was the point of showing how powerful Luke was. But I could have used a couple More examples of them Being badass or super hard to kill Besides the Din fight. 

20 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

It was to create tension and drama. Showed strangers working together and looking out for each other for a greater common purpose. 

In the same way that hearing "cover me! reloading!" 107,637 times in your average pre-2010 FPS game makes you really feel the cooperation of the characters!

Some of the guns in Star Wars DO use some kind of physical ammo despite appearing to fire lasers (See Chewbacca's Bow Caster where he always carried extra "shells" on his bandolier even though we never saw him actually reload them). The gun Gina was carrying was some kind of heavy machine gun that clearly had ammo drums on the side of it... why folks get obssessed over these little bullshit details is beyond me. Its STAR WARS... there's sound and fire in the vacuum of space for god's sake! No problem accepting the fact that in these galaxy there's HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of planets that support life despite their climate or distance from their suns (some planets even having TWO SUNS) but a gun jamming ruins the immersion :rolleyes:

and Luke being the one to find Grogu made PERFECT sense when I thought about when the Mandalorian is taking place in the timeline... it was so obvious that I was shocked more folks didn't see it coming (admittedly some folks on some other forums I'm on DID correctly guess it would be him) Mandalorian takes place 25 years before The Force Awakens... We know that Luke spent a lot of time after ROTJ traveling the galaxy tracking down Jedi Artifacts. Grogu could be his first Padawan before he starts his actual Jedi Academy. Ben is still a couple of years from being born at this point... at least three to five I would say if he's about 20 when The Force Awakens happens. 

Grogu could have been long gone by the time been raids the Jedi temple or he could have been there and was killed with the rest of the students... we don't know. We DO know, according to the Kylo Ren comic, that some of the students survived his initital betrayal and spent some time tracking him down for revenge. Grogu could have survived too. We don't know. There's 30 years of unmined story between ROTJ and The Force Awakens (well 25 if you count Manadalorian) and some of these questions The Mandalorian raises will undoubtedly be answered in other mediums (comics or books more than likely)

This show has done more to engage a new generation of Star Wars fans than the recent movies have ever done. So yeah... lets try. to not nit pick this show to death and enjoy it because its some of the best live action Star Wars we've gotten in a LONG time.

One final note: Is the Incel crowd making any noise about the all female strike team in this episode consisting of Starbuck, Chun Li, Sasha Banks and Gina Carano?

EDIT 2: We REALLY need a Mando video game... he's the perfect player character in an action game.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One final note: Is the Incel crowd making any noise about the all female strike team in these episode consisting of Starbuck, Chun Li, Sasha Banks and Gina Carano?

There wasn’t an obvious, Endgame-like “hero shot” of all the women in the show, so it was probably more palatable for the CHUDs. 

I can appreciate that the galaxy feels small when the Skywalkers are loadbearing for so much of the foundation of the mythos but given the era this show inhabits, it's inevitable to an extent. Likewise I don't think we "needed" Luke to get his own Vader hallway scene, but I appreciate that where he was as a character at that time jives with the way he behaved here. I'm glad that small segment of "Luke stans but not TLJ chuds" got their moment. And I'm always in favor of a payday for Mark Hamill, so no regrets.

The Empire having a dope ass weapon that ultimately ends up getting dunked on is 100% on brand, so no issues there. All the combat stuff with Mando in this episode was really fun to watch. The only nit I have to pick with this season writ large as it pertains to action... man I know Stormtroopers aren't great, but they get John Wick'd by EVERYONE this season. Shit they got the drop on Fennec and Cara in the finale and they didn't even shoot! Rarely has plot armor been so thick.

And I know that Filoni will never, ever do anything that remotely contradicts or calls out Lucas, but man I get bummed out whenever the canon leans into characters being special because of blood purity. At least in this show it's just the Empire doing it instead of it being the justification for the coolness of our protagonists.

I dunno that I feel that this show / season was especially well written. But it wears its heart on its sleeve and does right by its characters almost 100% of the time. It looks rad, it sounds rad, and all of that lumped together is really all I'm ever looking for from Star Wars. Peak Star Wars for me currently is, in no particular order... ESB, TLJ, Rebels season 2 finale episodes, and Rebels season 4 finale episodes. This show is probably on the cusp of that list, depending on how things shake out.