The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

Just now, Komusha said:

Outside of her specific look I never understood the appeal. Like, some people are genuinely sad to see her character leave. Really? She added nothing to the show for me.

out of all the characters that mando interacts with, i thought she was by far the most boring and poorly acted. the fact that disney wanted to make her the star of a star wars show is baffling. this will probably be better for disney in the long run. 

5 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Outside of her specific look I never understood the appeal. Like, some people are genuinely sad to see her character leave. Really? She added nothing to the show for me. I want strong female characters in my si-fi but they could have gone with someone so much better.

I think people really liked Cara Dune, yes. 

36 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Anyone who un-ironically uses the phrase “cancel culture” should be beaten with a sock full of quarters until they see the error of their ways.  This shit isn’t new, it isn’t novel, it’s not even particularly effective, it’s just a dumb label chuds have come up with for consequences when it occurs to them.  Someone said something incredibly stupid out loud and got fired?  How unprecedented.  This never happened once before the brainwashed antifa loving masses took over or whatever.

The same people who cry foul whenever some asshole shows their entire ass and is forced to suffer the absolute bare minimum of punishment gleefully call for the blood of anything they don’t like either.  Oh you fired terf moron strong lady?  I’m cancelling Disney Plus.  You stopped sponsoring Hannity?  Watch me post pictures of my smashed Keurig online.  You hired Kaeppernick?  I’m cutting up every pair of Nike socks I own.  It’s the most openly obvious bullshit double standard possible.    

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  

I do think there is a growing issue with people on twitter being very mob-like. It's an internet problem that has existed forever, but is exacerbated on twitter and other modern social media.

However, this event definitely is not that.

• Thanks 1

I liked Cara Dune as a character. Gina maybe isn't the best actor, but it passed as believable for me. 

Season 2 ended and Cara's character is pretty well done when it comes to the main Mando/Grogu story. So leaving the character in the dust and never mentioning it again seems fine by me and really won't affect the trajectory of the show. Bo Kataan Kryze is a way better foil for Mando and that is a far more interesting story to explore compared to "Mando gets the band back together."

The acting was fine. Not amazing but not distractingly bad and I thought it was outweighed by the fact that I like the trend of getting MMA people where it helps sell things when the actor looks the part. The only thing I remember being particularly distracting was that there was one fight scene where it was a little too obvious they were highlighting her MMA past, not sure if that was the director though or her demanding it the same way it seemed kind of obvious Chris Evans demanded that bicep flex in the first Avengers movie pulling the two ships together midair.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

The acting was fine. Not amazing but not distractingly bad and I thought it was outweighed by the fact that I like the trend of getting MMA people where it helps sell things when the actor looks the part. The only thing I remember being particularly distracting was that there was one fight scene where it was a little too obvious they were highlighting her MMA past, not sure if that was the director though or her demanding it the same way it seemed kind of obvious Chris Evans demanded that bicep flex in the first Avengers movie pulling the two ships together midair.

I don't remember that. 

Just now, Pikachu said:

I think he means Civil War with the helicopter.

No, it was during the helicarrier fight scene during the first movie. Maybe it was a helicopter. But he was on the helicarrier and something at least the size of a helicopter was falling and he braced himself against the helicarrier and lifted it up while the camera framed his bicep flex.

@Jason is there an interview somewhere where it says Chris Evans demanded that shot? Also if you have an actor that can do certain things, like fight convincingly on screen, OF COURSE you're going to use that as a director. You wouldn't be doing your job if you didn't. It's the same way they used Sasha Banks' wrestling background in the episode of Mando she was in. Carano wouldn't have the clout to demand anything of the production at this point in her career. Evans probably could but again, when you have a guy that jacked playing a superhero, you would definitely highlight that.

Uh also if I got cast in a Marvel movie and got fucking shredded (LOOOOOOOOL) I’d try to put it into my rider that I’m shirtless on screen as often as possible, my character doesn’t realize his own strength, and I accidentally explode a bottle of canola oil in my hands, get drenched, then have to walk around like that for a while.

• Haha 4

as far as mma fighters transitioning to acting, most of them are unfortunately chuds or have something else about them that’s very off-putting. it’s kind of a shame that amanda nunes wasn’t deemed pretty enough to get a huge push considering she’s the best women’s mma fighter of all time. she’s nice, talented, and unproblematic. 

sasha banks can pretty easily be a better actor than gina carano could ever be. her promos in wwe are great. 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Y'all motherfuckers are thinking way harder about my Chris Evans comment than you were meant to smfh.

Is that what it is or did you just misspeak about how you think these types of things work in movies. Actors make ridiculous demands all the time. Stallone and Segal are legendary for them. I was legit curious if this was something you read somewhere that Evans requested be in the movie because I had not heard that. I wouldn't blame him if he did though... these guys kill themselves to get in "superhero" shape so much that their stunt doubles have a hard time keeping up.

602268b8cca90200129b7269?width=1200&form
WWW.INSIDER.COM

As well as training twice a day in the gym, Hemsworth and his stunt double Bobby Holland Hanton are eating every two hours to gain muscle.

I'm sure they are "cheating" as well too though.

17 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Keyser is right though. I've seen all the Marvel movies and the only ones I remember with any clarity are the first Captain America, the first Thor, the first Iron Man, and the last Avengers movie. The rest all kind of blend together with their samey-ness and cameos.

Quiet, smooth brain. Some of us don’t have memory problems. Now where did I leave my keys.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is that what it is or did you just misspeak about how you think these types of things work in movies. Actors make ridiculous demands all the time. Stallone and Segal are legendary for them. I was legit curious if this was something you read somewhere that Evans requested be in the movie because I had not heard that. I wouldn't blame him if he did though... these guys kill themselves to get in "superhero" shape so much that their stunt doubles have a hard time keeping up.

602268b8cca90200129b7269?width=1200&form
WWW.INSIDER.COM

As well as training twice a day in the gym, Hemsworth and his stunt double Bobby Holland Hanton are eating every two hours to gain muscle.

I'm sure they are "cheating" as well too though.

"Cheating"?

Anyhow my point was just that it felt forced and distracting, compared to her acting, which was not amazing but didn't call attention to itself either IMO.