Disney Plus practically doubling its price

Yeah, I pay for Disney Plus, but I'm thinking it's probably a service I can turn on for a few months and then wait for more content to build up.

I'm kinda down on Disney content right now... not feeling most of the Star Wars stuff, completely lost my buzz for Marvel as well... so I'm not sure what else I really even need it for.

I do want to watch Loki...

I wonder if this applies to Canada. We get Hulu content included with our D+ sub since Hulu doesn't exist in Canada, so it's probably the best service. But at the rate things are going, we'll likely scrap at least one service at a time in the next year and then rotate. I expect in 2-3 years they will start making it harder to do that (increased cancellation fees, etc).

I've been paying for the triple bundle with Hulu and ESPN because it fits within the $20 credit from my Amex Plat (don't give a fuck about ESPN but it used to be the only bundle that included Hulu). After I cancelled intending to then sign up for the new duo bundle (just D+ and Hulu) I'd just get a weird error message every time I'd try to go to the site. Now it works in the sense that it'll let me start going through the resubscribe flow, but it tells me I'm not eligible for the duo bundle so I just haven't re-signed up at all. :facepalm:

I have no idea what is going on with my Hulu/Disney+. But I have been preparing for D+ to blow up in price so I am ready to drop it whenever 

My billing lists Hulu as 14.99 for No Ads and a while back I was offered D+ No Ads for 2.99 as an add on. I have never been clear if that was the typical Disney/Hulu bundle, or if it was some promotional deal I got by chance.

I do know that it is saying that my Hulu No Ads is going up to 17.99 in November, but no mention of my 2.99 Disney add on going up.

Is this the price increase everyone else is getting? 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I thought this was because it was getting combined with Hulu, but apparently it’s not? It’s just that Hulu content will be available in the D+ app, but it’s still a separate subscription from what I can tell. I don’t know, everything is bad. 

yeah that's what I'd ben expecting and if they had combined both it would be tolerable. 

I was paying over 300 dollars for a cable bill back in 2012 or 2013. It had ballooned over time because of people moving in and moving out and adding packages, DVRs and such.

When it finally came time that I couldn't afford it I was trying to reduce the package to something manable. I was going through the absolute bare bones options and they told me the best they could do was one box for one TV with basic cable that was only like 8 channels. And it was still going to be a little over 150 bucks.

I offhand mentioned that at this point I was just trying to keep some kind of cable because I thought it was required to have the Internet from them and they said it wasn't. So I dropped the cable altogether and my bill turned into 60 bucks per month for internet.

I grumble about the streamers nowadays, but I always try to remember that for Amazon, Hulu, Disney, Paramount, and Peacock I still pay substantially less in 2023 for all those channels and the Internet connection to go with them than they wanted me to pay for 1 cable box on 1 TV in 2015.

I would never allow a cable box in my house again. I would go without digital entertainment altogether before I ever let a cable company chain another one of those boxes to my ankle.

@Chairslinger It’s easy to get trapped in cable companies bullshit.  I went the nuclear option once and canceled the service all together, waited 30 days then opened the account in my wife’s name. Got their best deal for “new customers only”. For 30 days we just used our phones for internet and watched over the air tv. Wasn’t that bad.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I have Hulu free through my wife’s Spotify.   

I was grandfathered into that for years but a billing hiccup earlier this year meant I lost it. :sadsun:

It especially sucked since while it had ads, uBlock Origin was very efficient at killing the ads. Just a couple of seconds of black screen while it killed the ad.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I LOOK FORWARD TO GLORIOUS, LINEAR CABLE TV MAKING ITS TRIUMPHANT RETURN TO DOMINANCE!

I NEVER ABANDONED YOU, MY DEAR OLD FRIEND!

PlutoTV is pretty good since you don't have to make a decision beyond "Stargate channel or Star Trek channel?" And as far as I can tell they use the intended ad break cuts in shows that were made with cuts to ad breaks in mind. Just wish the ads weren't so super repetitive at every ad break.

10 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I was paying over 300 dollars for a cable bill back in 2012 or 2013. It had ballooned over time because of people moving in and moving out and adding packages, DVRs and such.

When it finally came time that I couldn't afford it I was trying to reduce the package to something manable. I was going through the absolute bare bones options and they told me the best they could do was one box for one TV with basic cable that was only like 8 channels. And it was still going to be a little over 150 bucks.

I offhand mentioned that at this point I was just trying to keep some kind of cable because I thought it was required to have the Internet from them and they said it wasn't. So I dropped the cable altogether and my bill turned into 60 bucks per month for internet.

I grumble about the streamers nowadays, but I always try to remember that for Amazon, Hulu, Disney, Paramount, and Peacock I still pay substantially less in 2023 for all those channels and the Internet connection to go with them than they wanted me to pay for 1 cable box on 1 TV in 2015.

I would never allow a cable box in my house again. I would go without digital entertainment altogether before I ever let a cable company chain another one of those boxes to my ankle.

Now you got me wanting to do the math. My old cable+Internet bill was some $330/mo. I'm currently paying $150/mo for 2Gb Internet plus $20/mo for Disney+, $20/mo for Netflix, $22/mo for YouTube Premium, $8/mo for Crunchyroll, $5/mo for HiDive, $6/mo for Dropout, and $4/mo for Corridor Digital. I'm still coming out on top, and all of those streaming services are available on any device I want without needing a cable box. Yeah, I'm not going back.

• Like 1

I haven’t had cable for well over a decade because of the cost and I genuinely don’t understand how/why people afford to pay for it anymore.  It was quasi-sane back then to pay $100 a month to get cable, internet, and a land line but then they ballooned it to $200+ and cutting the landline would actually cost me money, so I just flipped between Verizon and comcast every two years to pay $30 a month for internet alone.  

It would be amusing to watch “disrupters” slowly rebuild what existed before but shittier if a bunch of VC assholes didn’t get rich and cash out in the process.

5 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

I haven’t had cable for well over a decade because of the cost and I genuinely don’t understand how/why people afford to pay for it anymore.  It was quasi-sane back then to pay $100 a month to get cable, internet, and a land line but then they ballooned it to $200+ and cutting the landline would actually cost me money, so I just flipped between Verizon and comcast every two years to pay $30 a month for internet alone.  

It would be amusing to watch “disrupters” slowly rebuild what existed before but shittier if a bunch of VC assholes didn’t get rich and cash out in the process.

The one time I've had live TV service after starting college was when I signed for up FiOS in DC and it was cheaper to get the triple play bundle than just internet by itself (told the guy to not even bother setting up the phone though). I figured I may as well give the TV service a shot since I had it hooked up anyhow. This was back when Mad Men was airing so I tried having a go at watching it live on Sunday nights. I think that happened twice before I went back to pirating it and staying up late to watch (had to stay up late enough for the torrent to go up) or just watching on Monday because of how absurdly jarring it was dealing with the ads (especially the classic WHY ARE THE ADS SO MUCH LOUDER bullshit) after being used to watching Mad Men ad free.