Rebel Moon, Zack Snyder's R Rated "Not Star Wars Star Wars Movie" First Trailer Has Dropped

19 hours ago, johnny said:

the snyder cut makes cyborg a much better character. i preferred it to the whedon cut even if i have to deal with some dumb snyder stuff 

im halfway into rebel moon and its uhhhhh, definitely a movie 

Cyborg is objectively better in the Snyder Cut; that and other improvements don’t justify the thing being twice as fucking long. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Cyborg is objectively better in the Snyder Cut; that and other improvements don’t justify the thing being twice as fucking long. 

true… but i’m probably never watching either version again. i didn’t mind it the one time. 

On 12/28/2023 at 12:47 PM, Mercury33 said:

I enjoyed this. The middle is mess. Building the team felt like a check list of “let’s do this cool thing”. But it was big, pretty and dumb enough that I’m looking forward to part 2. Kinda reminds of that Chris Pratt time travel alien movie thing on Amazon. 

I'm an hour into it and calling it mediocre is almost an insult to mediocre films everywhere. This makes the Pratt amazon film look like citizen kane. :p Maybe the send half will change my mind.

finished and if anything the last hour makes it even worse. Snyder sucks. I enjoyed his first three movies, but since then it's all been crap. the guy doesn't know hot to tell a coherent story or make you give a flying good shit about and of his characters. Honestly I was waiting for someone to just start yelling MARTHA!!!! Does anyone at Netflix oversee the shit they dump movie into?

11 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

finished and if anything the last hour makes it even worse. Snyder sucks. I enjoyed his first three movies, but since then it's all been crap. the guy doesn't know hot to tell a coherent story or make you give a flying good shit about and of his characters. Honestly I was waiting for someone to just start yelling MARTHA!!!! Does anyone at Netflix oversee the shit they dump movie into?

It probably doesn't help that he's begun co-writing his movies. Before Army of the Dead and Rebel Moon, it was really only 300 and Sucker Punch he had a heavy hand in writing (out of 10 movies he's now directed). And for many Sucker Punch was his worst movie until Batman v Superman and Army of the Dead. I really think he should stick to just directing and leave the writing to good screenwriters (when he was directing other peoples' screenplays you got good stuff like Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians and Man of Steel). When Snyder writes you get Sucker Punch, Army of the Dead and Rebel Moon. I see a pattern here.

I also think it doesn't help that Zack Snyder has become his own director of photography/cinematographer. He's an amazing visual stylist but he's great at getting great work out of other cinematographers but not himself it seems because Army of the Dead and Rebel Moon are his two worst looking films. Larry Fong shot 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch for Snyder and Amir Mokri did Man of Steel, arguably his four most beautiful films. That's a Snyder selling point and I think he needs to go back to another DP. Bring Larry Fong back, he's not always great but when he works with Snyder he is. Or Mokri, who made Snyder's action scenes in Man of Steel look amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this this weekend.  While I would have much rather been playing this than watching it, it wasn't "the worst movie ever made" or whatever clickbait silliness is floating around on the internet. I'm not even sure it's Zack Snyder's worse... it's derivative and contrived as hell and Snyder's slow motion focused action scenes are just corny now in 2024 but it held my interest for its runtime. It's just not very good. Some scenes CLEARLY felt like the were filmed on a sound stage and an actual place, the production design was dull... I could almost forgive the ships and enemy soldiers looking like generic sci-fi dreck, but damn even the guns were lame. I envy Snyder because he's clearly getting to make the stuff that he wants, but he's also a prime example of why 2nd unit directors exist. 

• True 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not saying they will be better, but I'll wait for the director's cuts for both now:

WWW.IGN.COM

Rebel Moon director Zack Snyder has said the director's cut versions of both it and its sequel will likely hit Netflix the same day.

Please no

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Not saying they will be better, but I'll wait for the director's cuts for both now:

WWW.IGN.COM

Rebel Moon director Zack Snyder has said the director's cut versions of both it and its sequel will likely hit Netflix the same day.

Run Away GIF

VARIETY.COM

Zack Snyder says the MPAA wanted to give "Batman v Superman" an R rating simply because they did not like the idea of two superheroes fighting.

“People are always like, ‘Batman can’t kill.’ So Batman can’t kill is canon. And I’m like, ‘Okay, well, the first thing I want to do when you say that is I want to see what happens,'” Snyder continued. “And they go, ‘Well, don’t put him in a situation where he has to kill someone.’ I’m like, ‘Well, that’s just like you’re protecting your God in a weird way, right? You’re making your God irrelevant.'”

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
VARIETY.COM

Zack Snyder says the MPAA wanted to give "Batman v Superman" an R rating simply because they did not like the idea of two superheroes fighting.

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

It’s not even that he got Superman and Batman wrong… he got Pa and Ma Kent wrong too!

Pa Kent telling him “eh, maybe let the kids die next time”… what the fuck???

That short paragraph I quoted shows that he really didn't "get"these characters beyond a surface, superficial way at all. He says a lot of other wrong stuff in the article which is an excerpt from an interview he did with Joe Rogan,  but yeah. I like Snyder, he seems like a decent guy but MAN.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

So he wanted to see what happens if he made Batman kill but he didn't explore that at all. No explanations, justifications, or dilemmas. Killing was just an everyday activity for Bruce in those movies.

EXACTLY. Even The Dark Knight Returns, which he cites as an inspiration, explored the ramifications of Bruce killing more than Snyder did. Hell, Frank Miller's Batman showed more restraint than Snyder's did... The Joker and half of Batman's rogues shouldn't even EXIST in Snyder's universe given the way his Batman behaves. Also I'm sure the MPAA was sticking this with an R rating for reasons beyond "Superheroes fighting". If that's the reason then they must have wanted to hit Captain America Civil War with a fucking NC-17. That movie had whole GROUPS of heroes fighting each other... not to mention the first AND second Avengers movies.

• Halal 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:22 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

That short paragraph I quoted shows that he really didn't "get"these characters beyond a surface, superficial way at all. He says a lot of other wrong stuff in the article which is an excerpt from an interview he did with Joe Rogan,  but yeah. I like Snyder, he seems like a decent guy but MAN.

And yet he still managed to make the best Superman movie of all time 👀

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He did? When?

11 years ago. It was probably his willingness to go away from the core portrayal of Superman that made it great. Since Superman sucks and the only time in history he was ever interesting or anyone cared was when they killed him off. 

On 3/9/2024 at 6:43 AM, MarSolo said:

It’s not even that he got Superman and Batman wrong… he got Pa and Ma Kent wrong too!

Pa Kent telling him “eh, maybe let the kids die next time”… what the fuck???

Yeah, I'm almost compelled to agree with @Mercury33 about Man of Steel, but the Pa Kent stuff was such a cataclysmic miscalculation.

• Hugs 1

On 3/10/2024 at 2:50 PM, Mercury33 said:

And yet he still managed to make the best Superman movie of all time 👀

:jordan:

Ongoing wrongness about Man of Steel aside...

On 3/9/2024 at 1:22 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I watched parts of that interview and it was actually shocking? I know I'm down on a lot of Snyder's DC stuff, But I do get why people like his work and there are aspects of even the bad stuff, LIKE MAN OF STEEL, that are genuinely good.

But that interview makes me feel like he's just a broken clock? He talks about "deconstructing" things a lot and he either does not know what that means or is using the term in a way that is NOT what everyone else means when they talk about film deconstruction. It was really weird.

• Halal 2

32 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Man of Steel as a decent movie just not a good SUPERMAN movie. It's well shot and has great action scenes but man did he get Supers and his family wrong. 

Watching Man of Steel after hearing from a lot of people that it was bad was such a weird experience. The opening stuff on Krypton was pretty fucking cool, and I was wondering what the hell they were talking about. Then it's a 2 hour exercise in watching the wheels fall off with some of the most baffling character beats and dialog, it's just so uneven.

• Halal 1