Rebel Moon, Zack Snyder's R Rated "Not Star Wars Star Wars Movie" First Trailer Has Dropped

Snyder is threatening us with a 3-hour R-rated director's cut before Part Two releases in April. To be fair, some of the criticisms I saw of Part One was that it was too PG-13 and choppy, so who knows, maybe it helps some.

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Rebel Moon currently holds the second-worst Rotten Tomatoes score of its director's career—but an even-longer version is still in the works

50 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Snyder is threatening us with a 3-hour R-rated director's cut before Part Two releases in April. To be fair, some of the criticisms I saw of Part One was that it was too PG-13 and choppy, so who knows, maybe it helps some.

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Rebel Moon currently holds the second-worst Rotten Tomatoes score of its director's career—but an even-longer version is still in the works

When will this guy learn how to edit a movie, Jesus fucking Christ.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

When will this guy learn how to edit a movie, Jesus fucking Christ.

Seems like a Ridley Scott situation since I can safely say whether you like his movies or not, his director's cuts are always better. Even the abysmal Batman v Superman was made better with the R-rated director's cut. Not good, but it was definitely a step up.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Seems like a Ridley Scott situation since I can safely say whether you like his movies or not, his director's cuts are always better. Even the abysmal Batman v Superman was made better with the R-rated director's cut. Not good, but it was definitely a step up.

The Snyder cut of Justice League is NOT better than the Whedon cut, it's just longer. Having a few better bits in there isn't a net positive when he absolutely added more turds to the punchbowl. And I know we had this chat about Watchmen... one of the cuts is better than the theatrical one (director's, I think?) but the longest one (ultimate?) is just too much.

34 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The Snyder cut of Justice League is NOT better than the Whedon cut, it's just longer. Having a few better bits in there isn't a net positive when he absolutely added more turds to the punchbowl. And I know we had this chat about Watchmen... one of the cuts is better than the theatrical one (director's, I think?) but the longest one (ultimate?) is just too much.

Watchmen: Director's Cut, you're correct (which is Snyder's preferred version), not the even longer Ultimate Cut. With Justice League, I found Whedon's version very blah, I prefer Snyder's version (by a decent margin) to Whedon's version. First, the plot makes a lot more sense instead of Whedon's like with the rejiggering of the fear concept. But you have a Dawn of the Dead director's cut and Sucker Punch director's cut which both don't change much but are better as well.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Watchmen: Director's Cut, you're correct (which is Snyder's preferred version), not the even longer Ultimate Cut. With Justice League, I found Whedon's version very blah, I prefer Snyder's version (by a decent margin) to Whedon's version. First, the plot makes a lot more sense instead of Whedon's like with the rejiggering of the fear concept. But you have a Dawn of the Dead director's cut and Sucker Punch director's cut which both don't change much but are better as well.

No cut of Justice League is good, and Wonder Woman clicking heads while young girls look on in awed admiration left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just can't bring myself to care too much about the FOUR FUCKING HOURS that thing plods along. It's poorly paced, a bunch of the stuff put back into it overlaps and repeats itself, what we're told about the anti-life equation and what we see makes Darkseid's search nonsensical, etc. There's no good version of that movie full stop and if I'm going to eat shit I'd prefer it be for 2 hours and not 4, the turd being marginally less rank doesn't change the fact that I'm eating shit regardless.

I can't recall if I've ever seen a non-director's cut of DotD since I never caught it in theaters... probably not?

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

No cut of Justice League is good, and Wonder Woman clicking heads while young girls look on in awed admiration left such a bad taste in my mouth that I just can't bring myself to care too much about the FOUR FUCKING HOURS that thing plods along. It's poorly paced, a bunch of the stuff put back into it overlaps and repeats itself, what we're told about the anti-life equation and what we see makes Darkseid's search nonsensical, etc. There's no good version of that movie full stop and if I'm going to eat shit I'd prefer it be for 2 hours and not 4, the turd being marginally less rank doesn't change the fact that I'm eating shit regardless.

I figured you felt that way but you hate almost everything Snyder has made, not even dispassionately but compared to other noted filmmakers he seems to actively offend your film sensibilities more than on average. I can only go off of demonstrable metrics with regard to whether a director's cut is considered better than the theatrical cut and "Zack Snyder's Justice League" blows "Justice League" out of the water. All I said was that Snyder's version is better, not necessarily good. Now when I watched it I was pleasantly surprised, a lot better than generic MCU film #45, for me personally, but demonstrable metrics: RottenTomatoes "top" critics for Whedon's version: 23% (4.7/10). Snyder's version: 52% (5.9/10). RottenTomatoes "all" critics for Whedon's version: 39% (5.3/10). Snyder's version: 72% (6.7/10). RottenTomatoes "audience" score for Whedon's version: 67% (3.7/5). Snyder's version: 93% (4.6/5). On IMDb, Whedon's version: 6.1/10 after 470,000 votes. Snyder's version: 7.9/10 after 430,000 votes. By any demonstrable metric his version beats Whedon's version on a macro scale. My original point was just that all of Snyder's director's cuts are better than their theatrical cuts, not that it makes the movies necessarily good (see Batman v Superman as an example). This data backs that up with regard to his Justice League director's cut as well. In fact, by those metrics even critics like Snyder's version (when they didn't like Whedon's version), the opposite of eating shit so. . . :p 

Now, will that make a director's cut of Rebel Moon part one good? No, but I'm more interested in that cut knowing how this goes with Snyder, like with Ridley Scott. As for Dawn of the Dead, not sure - the "unrated cut" DVD (aka Snyder's director's cut) is how I first saw the film so I imagine that's what has been primarily in circulation since then. It's a weird fact that the director of that film (Snyder) handed over the reigns of the DCEU to the screenwriter of that film (Gunn). Small world.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Why is there even a director's cut for this movie when it's made for Netflix? You don't need to worry about runtime or MPAA rating on Netflix.

I imagine Netflix wanted to advertise it harder to get more eyeballs to watch the stream when it drops there and a hard R-rated movie with gore, rape, etc. ain't gonna cut it. i haven't seen the film but the one review I read mentioned how bad forcing PG-13 on to this hurts it, jarring cuts to hide violence, etc. Doesn't mean the uncut movie is good, but it's something. Also it makes viewers double dip in a few months on essentially watching the same content, so it could be intentional for that reason as well.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

WWW.AVCLUB.COM

Yes, but will it be in 4:3?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I figured you felt that way but you hate almost everything Snyder has made, not even dispassionately but compared to other noted filmmakers he seems to actively offend your film sensibilities more than on average. I can only go off of demonstrable metrics with regard to whether a director's cut is considered better than the theatrical cut and "Zack Snyder's Justice League" blows "Justice League" out of the water. All I said was that Snyder's version is better, not necessarily good. Now when I watched it I was pleasantly surprised, a lot better than generic MCU film #45, for me personally, but demonstrable metrics: RottenTomatoes "top" critics for Whedon's version: 23% (4.7/10). Snyder's version: 52% (5.9/10). RottenTomatoes "all" critics for Whedon's version: 39% (5.3/10). Snyder's version: 72% (6.7/10). RottenTomatoes "audience" score for Whedon's version: 67% (3.7/5). Snyder's version: 93% (4.6/5). On IMDb, Whedon's version: 6.1/10 after 470,000 votes. Snyder's version: 7.9/10 after 430,000 votes. By any demonstrable metric his version beats Whedon's version on a macro scale. My original point was just that all of Snyder's director's cuts are better than their theatrical cuts, not that it makes the movies necessarily good (see Batman v Superman as an example). This data backs that up with regard to his Justice League director's cut as well. In fact, by those metrics even critics like Snyder's version (when they didn't like Whedon's version), the opposite of eating shit so. . . :p 

Now, will that make a director's cut of Rebel Moon part one good? No, but I'm more interested in that cut knowing how this goes with Snyder, like with Ridley Scott. As for Dawn of the Dead, not sure - the "unrated cut" DVD (aka Snyder's director's cut) is how I first saw the film so I imagine that's what has been primarily in circulation since then. It's a weird fact that the director of that film (Snyder) handed over the reigns of the DCEU to the screenwriter of that film (Gunn). Small world.

FWIW I don’t hate Snyder at all. I genuinely do like his visual style when it’s applied the right way. Dawn of the Dead is good and I generally like most of the action bits in his DC movies, Justice League, Batman v Superman, and Man of Steel all included in that. 300 is a fun but fundamentally silly book and the movie is a fun adaptation of that. I just think that when it comes to the character stuff, he just misses the bullseye, the target, and possibly the very earth itself. :p  I appreciate the criticisms of the samey-ness or “safety” or both when it comes to the MCU and I wouldn’t say Disney/Marvel’s approach to character is perfect by any means (Iron Man specifically is often just… whatever he needs to be for any specific movie or sometimes scene within the same movie), the MCU just fundamentally understands what makes their characters tick to an extent that Snyder is either incapable of, not interested in, or some combination of both.

So a Justice League movie written by someone who isn’t some kinda weird ass libertarian / Randian bootlicker but directed by Snyder with his sense for visual spectacle? Yeah, absolutely.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

FWIW I don’t hate Snyder at all. I genuinely do like his visual style when it’s applied the right way. Dawn of the Dead is good and I generally like most of the action bits in his DC movies, Justice League, Batman v Superman, and Man of Steel all included in that. 300 is a fun but fundamentally silly book and the movie is a fun adaptation of that. I just think that when it comes to the character stuff, he just misses the bullseye, the target, and possibly the very earth itself. :p  I appreciate the criticisms of the samey-ness or “safety” or both when it comes to the MCU and I wouldn’t say Disney/Marvel’s approach to character is perfect by any means (Iron Man specifically is often just… whatever he needs to be for any specific movie or sometimes scene within the same movie), the MCU just fundamentally understands what makes their characters tick to an extent that Snyder is either incapable of, not interested in, or some combination of both.

So a Justice League movie written by someone who isn’t some kinda weird ass libertarian / Randian bootlicker but directed by Snyder with his sense for visual spectacle? Yeah, absolutely.

I would say you've been a lot harsher on him over the years than on other artists in a pointed way but that's just from what I feel like I've noticed over time. I don't disagree with anything you're saying but I think you're not seeing how you single him out more than others and in a harsher light. Maybe you don't like his Randian/benevolent ruler themes in his stuff despite in real life he doesn't seem to actually follow those values? Fired Delia for Notaro, casts diversely when he can, no allegations from anyone, doesn't run a tyrannical set, etc. :p 

Either way, I think it's clear the macro data shows Snyder's JL > Whedon's JL though. 

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I would say you've been a lot harsher on him over the years than on other artists in a pointed way but that's just from what I feel like I've noticed over time. I don't disagree with anything you're saying but I think you're not seeing how you single him out more than others and in a harsher light. Maybe you don't like his Randian/benevolent ruler themes in his stuff despite in real life he doesn't seem to actually follow those values? Fired Delia for Notaro, casts diversely when he can, no allegations from anyone, doesn't run a tyrannical set, etc. :p 

Either way, I think it's clear the macro data shows Snyder's JL > Whedon's JL though. 

I think I’ve said it in other threads here, but my beefs with him are about the output… from what I’ve heard about him personally he seems like a good guy. So it’s not “personal” at all. I single him out because I think he generates more chatter than the material merits and (I say this with full appreciation that the call is coming from inside the house :p ) the fact that the guy insists on 3 hour+ cuts for 2 hours of material all the goddamned time.

• Halal 2

On 12/20/2023 at 12:23 AM, Brick said:

Yeah but still it's primarily Netflix. It's his own IP, he can do whatever he wants, so why not just put out the one and only cut he needs?

So when everyone shits on it, he can be like “oh wait for the directors cut”. Dude sucks

REBEL MOON debuts after 4 days with 23.9M views.

For comparison in roughly the same time period:

- Murder Mystery 2 - 42.9M
- The Mother - 42.9M
- Leave the World Behind - 41.7M
- Heart of Stone 33.1M
- You People - 28.3M

I guess announcing the 4 hours-long "Director's Cut" before the release of the first part wasn't such a hot idea after all, huh?

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I guess announcing the 4 hours-long "Director's Cut" before the release of the first part wasn't such a hot idea after all, huh?

For those who saw the director's cut news, I think it did (same with Napoleon). It also probably didn't help to call it "part one", that seemed to hurt Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning - Part One to the point they dropped Dead Reckoning - Part Two from the next film (not sure how that's going to work). Spider-verse was planned as a two parter, as was Fast X, but not putting "part one" into the title (even though both movies end on huge cliffhangers) of either seems to have helped them by comparison. Not sure how doing this back in the day shook out with Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows, Twilight: Breaking Dawn and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay but those are all based on YA novel series, whereas Rebel Moon, Mission: Impossible, Spider-verse and Fast & Furious are not (novels demand more runtime hence why it doesn't seem to have affected Dune despite being in two parts - what's weird there is that it was not advertised as Part One but within the movie itself it calls itself Part One, great troll by Villeneuve to make Part Two happen). We know even for a YA novel series a two-parter didn't work out for The Divergent Series: Allegiant.

It seems like audiences don't care if a movie ends on a cliffhanger or not, just don't tell them it's "part one" and they won't get the whole story ahead of time or apparently audiences won't show up. The Matrix 2+3 and The Pirates of the Caribbean 2+3 were shot together, back-to-back (unlike Dune and Fast X) and they didn't call them "part one" and "part two" even though you have to watch both to get the whole story and they did great at the box office. Maybe there's something there.