Rebel Moon, Zack Snyder's R Rated "Not Star Wars Star Wars Movie" First Trailer Has Dropped

48 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'd put the original cut of Watchmen here, I guess? This is really where he just started showing his whole ass. His treatment of Rorschach Watchment Director's Ultimate Cut or whatever the fuck it's called. It's too long, it adds more shit cribbed from the comic that doesn't need to be there. 

I think you explained your thoughts really well! I'll simply say I don't feel as beholden to the stupid aspects of his movies "ruining" things for me as it seems it does you but all your criticisms are fair. I just wanted to clarify that there are three cuts of Watchmen; the theatrical cut, the director's cut (I think this is the best version), and then the ultimate cut. The ultimate cut is the same as the director's cut but it inserts the animated Tales from the Black Freighter spliced back into the movie with additional scenes of the newsstand salesman and comic book reader (which is too long). But the director's cut helps explain a number of things the theatrical cut drops/ignores so I think it's a more complete film personally. I wasn't sure which two of the three versions you are referring to in your post.

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Aah right. I forgot there were three cuts of that movie, lordy lord. I probably thought the directors cut was the original and the ultimate cut was the directors. 

That is how I read it as well when where you were comparing the director's cut to the ultimate cut so I'd agree. :)

• 1 month later...
  • skillzdadirecta changed the title to Rebel Moon, Zack Snyder's R Rated "Not Star Wars Star Wars Movie" First Trailer Has Dropped

Finally we will get the answer to a question we’ve all asked… what if Dune and Star Wars had a baby but the mother freebased cocaine for the entire pregnancy?

“The Scargiver” sounds like the name of a dungeon miniboss from a bootleg D&D manual from the late 1970’s. Also it’s probably Snyder’s own nickname in the halls of Warner Bros, so nice work.

It’s not even possible to parody Snyder at this point, he is just constantly human centipiding himself.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Reputator said:

Yeah if Snyder actually wrote most of this, it has no hope of being good. His idea of a good story is whatever gets you to the next visual setpiece the fastest.

I agree, Snyder is more of a director than a writer. Rebel Moon is being co-written by Snyder, his frequent collaborator Kurt Johnstad and Shay Hatten. Snyder and Johnstad co-wrote 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire together. Both are fun, badass, simple movies but written well enough. Snyder and Shay Hatten wrote the recent Army of the Dead together, a solid if ultimately unimpressive new zombie movie. Otherwise, Snyder hasn't really written any of his movies (except co-writing Sucker Punch). So movies like Dawn of the Dead (written by James Gunn), Watchmen (written by David Hayter and Alex Tse) and Man of Steel (written by David S. Goyer) he had little to nothing to do with the screenplays, just the directing. I'm going to ignore the whole Justice League debacle. 

Kurt Johnstad additionally wrote Act of Valor and Atomic Blonde. Shay Hatten wrote the Army of the Dead spin-off film Army of Thieves as well as co-writing Day Shift (with Jamie Foxx) and John Wick: Chapter 4. So expect the screenwriting quality of this film to be somewhere in the 300/Act of Valor/Atomic Blonde/Army of the Dead/Army of Thieves/John Wick: Chapter 4-type quality, whatever that means to each person. I liked (or loved) most of these movies, so I think there is hope. 

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree, Snyder is more of a director than a writer. Rebel Moon is being co-written by Snyder, his frequent collaborator Kurt Johnstad and Shay Hatten. Snyder and Johnstad co-wrote 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire together. Both are fun, badass, simple movies but written well enough. Snyder and Shay Hatten wrote the recent Army of the Dead together, a solid if ultimately unimpressive new zombie movie. Otherwise, Snyder hasn't really written any of his movies (except co-writing Sucker Punch). So movies like Dawn of the Dead (written by James Gunn), Watchmen (written by David Hayter and Alex Tse) and Man of Steel (written by David S. Goyer) he had little to nothing to do with the screenplays, just the directing. I'm going to ignore the whole Justice League debacle. 

I've not seen 300 2 or whatever, but the absolute worst parts of 300 are the bits that aren't in the comic. Army of the Dead is significantly dumber than Dawn of the Dead. Ignoring Justice League is an "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" situation :p

• True 1

14 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I've not seen 300 2 or whatever, but the absolute worst parts of 300 are the bits that aren't in the comic. Army of the Dead is significantly dumber than Dawn of the Dead. Ignoring Justice League is an "other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play" situation :p

Justice League just had too many cooks in the screenplay kitchen for me to want to get into that whole mess. :p And he's not writing these things alone, is my point. I wouldn't expect a smart movie either way, if that's what you're saying. But dumb movies can work (I mean, we got Atomic Blonde and John Wick: Chapter 4 screenwriters in there too) so we'll see.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:25 AM, Kal-El814 said:

Don't bother it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

30 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

If the goal was to create the single worst ranking of Star Wars movies in the history of human kind. You sir. Have achieved a resounding success. 

It’s just a list of the main Star Wars movies in order from best to worst