Rebel Moon, Zack Snyder's R Rated "Not Star Wars Star Wars Movie" First Trailer Has Dropped

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Watching Man of Steel after hearing from a lot of people that it was bad was such a weird experience. The opening stuff on Krypton was pretty fucking cool, and I was wondering what the hell they were talking about. Then it's a 2 hour exercise in watching the wheels fall off with some of the most baffling character beats and dialog, it's just so uneven.

The krypton stuff is some of the best stuff in the movie. Almost made me wish the whole movie took place on krypton :p

• Halal 1

I think it was apparent he doesn't GET superhero stuff beyond the aesthetics and action after Watchmen.

I mean saying someone "doesn't get it" most of the time just comes off as lazy criticism, and more insulting and snobbish than it is ("you just don't get it, man"), but really Snyder DOESN'T GET IT. He really does not understand the characters and themes his playing around with. He'd probably do fine with something that is just surface level, and isn't too deep. Like Spawn.

• Halal 2

15 hours ago, Brick said:

I think it was apparent he doesn't GET superhero stuff beyond the aesthetics and action after Watchmen.

DEAR god this is true...I remember seeing Watchmen and having a similar reaction I had to Man of Steel. Not a bad movie in and of itself, but misses the point of what made the orginal material fresh and unique.  For me Snyder peaked at 300. I WOULD be curious to see what he could do with Spawn though. That character is definitely all flash and no substance.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Give him the Image Comics universe

I was thinking the same thing... he'd probably CRUSH it with those characters. Ironically the only Image superheroes I think from back in the day that are still going strong are Spawn and Savage Dragon. WildCats has been folded into the DCU. I don't think anything is beeing done with the other O.G. Image characters.

i’d actually be fine with a batman that killed people. i think it could be interesting to explore a different kind of batman. but snyder fucking sucks. i can’t even remember anything in those movies being about him killing people. and if your superhero is gonna kill people left and right i think that’s kind of a thing that needs to be addressed. 

he makes pretty movies but man do they stink. man of steel included. 

8 hours ago, johnny said:

i’d actually be fine with a batman that killed people. i think it could be interesting to explore a different kind of batman. but snyder fucking sucks. i can’t even remember anything in those movies being about him killing people. and if your superhero is gonna kill people left and right i think that’s kind of a thing that needs to be addressed. 

he makes pretty movies but man do they stink. man of steel included. 

As ever, the issue is not as black and white as “what if this version of Batman killed people” or “what if this version.of Superman was viewed as potentially dangerous.”

The issue with doing that in a movie, forgetting Snyder for a moment, is that even though comic book movies happen much more often today than they used to, it’s still unfortunate that we’d see a version of this character on the big screen that’s not a reflection of the most ironic version of an iconic character. Like if Gunn wants to fuck with the Guardians of the Galaxy or Vigilante or Peacemaker… that’s probably GOOD because nobody really gives a shit about them. That’s not the same with Superman or Batman or The Flash. I love an Elseworlds or alternate take story in print. For as fun as something like Red Son was… I dunno if I’d want a big budget, movie adaptation of that especially since it’s been so long since we’ve seen a great movie Superman. Or the recent DC games in the Rocksteady Batman universe or whatever it’s called, or the Injustice universe, etc. I may not like all of those, but it’s cool that they exist in those media because they’re interesting CONTRASTS to the existing characters and their stories.

The Snyder aspect of the issue is that he doesn’t take the actual question to any point beyond the superficial. “What if Batman killed?” Okay… what if he did? The other heroes don’t really react differently to Batman being a killer compared to how they do in the comics, which kinda makes sense if Wonder Woman is clicking terrorist heads and leaving their brains splattered against walls in front of children while not giving a single fuck. And we get a throwaway line about how Batman brands people he sends to prison with the knowledge that they’ll be abused in there because of that, and that’s supposed to show how “hard” Batman is… but it really just makes him a horrible person. So criminals fear Batman, sure, but Bruce Wayne is just still… Bruce Wayne in the Snyderverse. There’s no different insight into the character, nobody really treats him all that differently than he’s treated in the comics where he DOESN’T kill people. It doesn’t seem like he’s even all that fussed about killing them. He just kills them. So why change a critical aspect of a character if it ultimately doesn’t mater? And it’s the same with Superman; he’s out there brooding, he’s letting his dad die, he’s not containing collateral damage… and then people make statues of him anyway.

• Halal 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, Greatoneshere said:

The director's cut of Sucker Punch was at least better than the theatrical cut. I think it's an interesting movie, but not a successful one. For me:

Would your opinion change if there was an extended director's cut? :thinking:

WWW.IGN.COM

Zack Snyder says he has the footage he needs to "fix" Sucker Punch, but he might need the support of a fan campaign to get his extended cut off the ground.

24 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

WWW.IGN.COM

Zack Snyder says he has the footage he needs to "fix" Sucker Punch, but he might need the support of a fan campaign to get his extended cut off the ground.

Yeah, I know he's been trotting this around and I'd be interested in seeing it! But the guy should probably make better deals with studios ahead of time. :p 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

Look at what a monster those #ReleaseTheSnyderCut chuds have created. 

Agreed, but I think no one will disagree that even if you don't like the director's cut version, his director's cuts are universally better than his theatrical cuts, so that's something.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

WWW.IGN.COM

A turd is still a turd, no matter how you dress it up. 

9 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

A turd is still a turd, no matter how you dress it up. 

I know a lot of people say this, but it's not an analogy that really works for films. If the theatrical cut of a film is, let's say, a 4/10, and a director's cut of that same film is a 6/10, that's a difference worth noting even if someone is a viewer that wouldn't bother with 4/10 films or 6/10 films. So not every turd is equal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 3:21 PM, Greatoneshere said:

Agreed, but I think no one will disagree that even if you don't like the director's cut version, his director's cuts are universally better than his theatrical cuts, so that's something.

Making Justice League 4 hours long and turning Wonder Woman into a murderer did not make it better.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:43 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Making Justice League 4 hours long and turning Wonder Woman into a murderer did not make it better.

No, but lots of other aspects of his cut did. The Wonder Woman scene was tonally off, no question, but not sure why we harp on that when Ant-Man's daughter is walking around barely acknowledging as millions of microscopic sentient creatures die around her in Ant-Man 3 or that John Cena joyously murders faceless thugs in cars while basically high fiving his 8-year old nephew (who is also excited and enjoying himself) in Fast X or when Blue Beetle's grandmother is mowing down people as a joke at the end of Blue Beetle, etc.

On 3/18/2024 at 5:31 AM, Kal-El814 said:

As ever, the issue is not as black and white as “what if this version of Batman killed people” or “what if this version.of Superman was viewed as potentially dangerous.”

The issue with doing that in a movie, forgetting Snyder for a moment, is that even though comic book movies happen much more often today than they used to, it’s still unfortunate that we’d see a version of this character on the big screen that’s not a reflection of the most ironic version of an iconic character. Like if Gunn wants to fuck with the Guardians of the Galaxy or Vigilante or Peacemaker… that’s probably GOOD because nobody really gives a shit about them. That’s not the same with Superman or Batman or The Flash. I love an Elseworlds or alternate take story in print. For as fun as something like Red Son was… I dunno if I’d want a big budget, movie adaptation of that especially since it’s been so long since we’ve seen a great movie Superman. Or the recent DC games in the Rocksteady Batman universe or whatever it’s called, or the Injustice universe, etc. I may not like all of those, but it’s cool that they exist in those media because they’re interesting CONTRASTS to the existing characters and their stories.

The Snyder aspect of the issue is that he doesn’t take the actual question to any point beyond the superficial. “What if Batman killed?” Okay… what if he did? The other heroes don’t really react differently to Batman being a killer compared to how they do in the comics, which kinda makes sense if Wonder Woman is clicking terrorist heads and leaving their brains splattered against walls in front of children while not giving a single fuck. And we get a throwaway line about how Batman brands people he sends to prison with the knowledge that they’ll be abused in there because of that, and that’s supposed to show how “hard” Batman is… but it really just makes him a horrible person. So criminals fear Batman, sure, but Bruce Wayne is just still… Bruce Wayne in the Snyderverse. There’s no different insight into the character, nobody really treats him all that differently than he’s treated in the comics where he DOESN’T kill people. It doesn’t seem like he’s even all that fussed about killing them. He just kills them. So why change a critical aspect of a character if it ultimately doesn’t mater? And it’s the same with Superman; he’s out there brooding, he’s letting his dad die, he’s not containing collateral damage… and then people make statues of him anyway.

I disagree with your first point, but I think you nail it in the end. I don't think it matters that Batman is such an iconic character, specially now that we've seen him on screen in so many big movies. We've gotten the platonic ideal of Batman in various flavors and, as ever with adaptions, the problem is rarely that the adaptation diverges from the source material, it's making those changes without sufficient reason or proper care.

I completely agree that the problem with Snyder making Batman kill is he did it so casually and never did anything interesting with it. You bring up how Bruce Wayne is a typical Bruce Wayne, but other his sudden penchant for casual homicide, Snyder's Batman was a pretty prototypical Batman as well. If you're going to make him a killer, it should have some gravitas to it precisely because Batman is so iconic and his rule against killing is so central to his mythology. The audience should feel the weight of that decision. It should be a seismic event in the evolution of the character, but instead it's just treated like a new costume design or batmobile; just one of those standard things that changes with each iteration.

Not that we need to intermingle over-discussed film nerd lore, but it makes me think about The Last Jedi. Johnson was challenging his characters and the audience, and regardless of if you think reclusive Luke should have remained the golden boy hero or not, Johnson brought a lot of attention to Luke being so different from what we (and Rey) expected. Successfully or not, a huge portion of that film was dedicated to Luke's change of heart, and that's the kind of time and focus that making Batman willing to break his unbreakable rule deserved.

The only good thing Zack Snyder does with comic book movies is his ability to storyboard them by using the actual comic book panels.

And that’s it.

Also, Zack Snyder fans are just as deranged as Trump fans. I nearly nuked my Twitter account when they spent three days attacking me for saying I enjoyed the Watchmen tv show.

46 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

The only good thing Zack Snyder does with comic book movies is his ability to storyboard them by using the actual comic book panels.

And that’s it.

Well, Zack Snyder comes from a fine arts painting background, so while having the actual panels for something like 300 and Watchmen helped him a ton on those films, he does draw a lot of his own storyboards for the rest of his films which is pretty impressive. I think a mistake he's made is he's begun to be the actual cinematographer on his films. Not using his long-time collaborator Larry Fong, who shot his films 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch and Batman v Superman, has hurt the visual quality of his productions, which was one of Snyder's big selling points. Snyder is a great visualist, but it seems he's better at showing and describing it to the DP rather than doing it himself (Amir Mokri did great work for Snyder on Man of Steel as did Fabian Wagner on Snyder's cut of Justice League). I haven't seen Rebel Moon yet (waiting on the director's cuts) but Army of the Dead, while not poorly shot, didn't have the depth of colors and long, beautifully composed shots of his previous films, going for something grittier and more handheld instead, which doesn't look nearly as good. 

Army of the Dead doesn't have a director's cut, so there's no excuse there, but I'm hoping the shoddy editing to force these R-rated movies to be PG-13 is why Rebel Moon looks rough, and it will look less rough in the director's cuts. Sometimes that is the case, sometimes not and it still looks bad. He shot them himself like he did Army of the Dead, so we'll see. I also think Snyder switching composers from Tyler Bates (who did all of Snyder's films until Man of Steel) to Junkie XL (who has done all of Snyder's films since Man of Steel) was also a mistake as I think Tyler Bates and Larry Fong really helped Snyder out in those departments. Junkie XL doesn't seem to be doing nearly as well on Snyder's films.

The Watchmen TV show was excellent, those people be crazy.

19 minutes ago, johnny said:

why would you all waste your time watching snyder movies 10 times every time he wants to release a new cut. you know it’s gonna suck! move on and watch something else 

Which is why I'm intentionally waiting for the director's cuts. I haven't seen the theatrical cuts, I'm just going off of what others have said about the cinematography in the PG-13 cuts is all. Snyder's made some bad movies, but he's made some good ones too, like M. Night Shyamalan. From the looks of things it sounds like both Rebel Moon films are straight up bad and I doubt the director's cuts can salvage them since it seems critics and regular audiences are in agreement about these that they're that bad. But I'll check them out to find out when they're released.