~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

2 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

So, freakout time:

Is there anything stopping the Senate GOP, newly strengthened, from passing the House ACA repeal that already passed that chamber?

Doesn't legislation reset between Congresses? Unless you mean pushing it through during the lame duck session. 

Just now, ByWatterson said:

Thank you, but that's not really wage growth. That's higher starting pay to entice new employees, while the existing work force's wages stay the same. It may be splitting hairs, but this type of "wage growth" only has a lager positive effect on the masses if everyone leaves their job for another one to get paid more since their current employer will not give them a raise. It's more like PR speak than what it actually is. 

Also I read Bloomberg's article on it, and they seem to be of the impression that hourly employees working less hours per week can give the impression of higher per hour pay. I do not think Bloomberg understands hourly pay. They seem to think bartenders and servers are the only employees that don't get paid of they do not go in to work. As if an employee outside of the service industry that only gets scheduled for 25 hours still gets paid for a 40 hour work week. 

2 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I read it when it was published. Read Gunfight, written by an expert on the second amendment, for better information than Stevens’ writing here which leaves out a lot of worthwhile parts of the history of the second amendment.

But again, explain how “the people” in the 1st amendment and “the people” in the second amendment aren’t the same people. The court got it right in Heller based purely on what the text actually says. The second is simply stupid and needs to be repealed.

6 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

So, freakout time:

Is there anything stopping the Senate GOP, newly strengthened, from passing the House ACA repeal that already passed that chamber?

They just got wrecked in an election where dems hammered them on healthcare and the economy is strong and it might not be a good idea to go into 2020 doing this with Trump as the leader of your party?

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

How do speakerships and chairmanships works?

I know Democrats will have those roles now, but how do they determine who holds those positions?

Dems do it by seniority, as far as I know. So

look at the committees and find the most senior Dem and they will now be the chair.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I read it when it was published. Read Gunfight, written by an expert on the second amendment, for better information than Stevens’ writing here which leaves out a lot of worthwhile parts of the history of the second amendment.

But again, explain how “the people” in the 1st amendment and “the people” in the second amendment aren’t the same people. The court got it right in Heller based purely on what the text actually says. The second is simply stupid and needs to be repealed.

For the record, I'm all in on that. I was trying to provide some... compromise. Lol. 

My actual stance on guns is a hard anything that holds more than 5 rounds at a time should be illegal. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Doesn't legislation reset between Congresses? Unless you mean pushing it through during the lame duck session. 

Correct. All legislation expires at the end of the congressional term. That’s one of the reasons you’ll see like a million bills introduced at the beginning of the new term, it’s just recycling stuff they didn’t get passed last term.

1 minute ago, Emblazon said:

For the record, I'm all in on that. I was trying to provide some... compromise. Lol. 

My actual stance on guns is a hard anything that holds more than 5 rounds at a time should be illegal. 

Much like I just don’t trust my kids to toss a ball around in the house anymore, I don’t trust any Americans with guns. Take them all away :p

Just now, ByWatterson said:

Or Colorado! We just passed amendments to establish independent commissions for both Congress and state legislative districts.

Great to hear, it's wonderful to finally see a movement towards fair voting practices.  We are having an indpendent councils as well draw our new voting lines. 

We also just joined you in legalizing recreational marijuana.  

10 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

Or Colorado! We just passed amendments to establish independent commissions for both Congress and state legislative districts.

On that 538 mini-series about gerrymandering a while back a retired Republican had a folksy phrase to describe the mistake Republicans made with their 2010 gerrymandering haul: pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

At the time he was talking about the GOP being so greedy they made it more likely the courts would step in. Now that that appears unlikely I think it fits as well in the sense that the GOP took it so far that they made it a partisan issue.

Used to be that the parties were both about as guilty putting their finger on the scale. But the GOP were so blatant about it that they convinced a lot of Democrats this is a moral issue. Put simply, we no longer think, "I hope we win that state so we can benefit from gerrymandering." We're thinking we wanna win there so we can stop gerrymandering.