~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

You're gonna get a Sig whether you like it or not!

Shit... I get nervous walking around with my PHONE in my hand.

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I know. I'm just saying how much I've changed. I was never as big a gun nut as your average gun nut(like my parents), but I'm pretty much just like "fuck it" in regards to guns these days. I'll always keep my bolt action rifle I use for deer hunting, the 20 gauge shotgun that belonged to my late Papaw, and my two 22 LRs, one which I got from my parents when I turned 16 and one which my grandpa gave me that is from the 1930s. But other than that, meh. Other than the sentimental value and hunting, I just don't care about owning more guns. I hate that this is a problem unique to America and we don't do shit about it. 

Yeah I definitely noticed a change in your gun position. I'm not anti-gun ownership at all... I grew up around guns (legal and illegal ones) but I think we should regulate a LOT more than we do. And we should educate folks on the fact that guns are not fucking toys and should be handled responsibly. Once again, we've DONE THIS BEFORE. We can do it again.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Shit... I get nervous walking around with my PHONE in my hand.

Yeah I definitely noticed a change in your gun position. I'm not anti-gun ownership at all... I grew up around guns (legal and illegal ones) but I think we should regulate a LOT more than we do. And we should educate folks on the fact that guns are not fucking toys and should be handled responsibly. Once again, we've DONE THIS BEFORE. We can do it again.

I mean, I never really had any radical gun nut positions :p 

29 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Every body ignores the "well regulated" part of the second amendment.

No they don’t :p The parsing of the clauses of the second amendment is the gun rights debate for the last 50 years!

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

While amusing, I actually think this is reasonable law. The likelihood of changing the outcome of an election via recount on even 1% separation is close to zero.

2 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Maybe the blue wave will actually happen in 2020

I mean, it clearly did last night, nationally. Really it was only Florida that didn't match the "wave" polling, and even then only for the Governor and Senate positions. Everywhere else the Democrats over-performed. Beto lost but he was never projected to win (he came closer than the polls even suggested). Last night was a huge wave for the Democrats. I mean, out of 33 Senate seats they won 21 or 22 (don't have the exact number), some in red states. They flipped 7 governorships as well, and won 333 local state positions. They also passed something like 120 progressive ballot measures.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, out of 33 Senate seats they won 21 or 22 (don't have the exact number), some in red states.

They had a net loss of seats in the Senate :p

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They had a net loss of seats in the Senate :p

For sure, but they still won a majority of the seats up last night. They over-performed in 2012, so last nights correction was predictable. Not a good thing, obviously, but last night's performance in the Senate is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. 

Speaking of that, it's crazy how so many people online (in the US) don't know how the mid-terms work. There are people who legitimately think that all Senate seats were up last night...Jesus.

53 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I know. I'm just saying how much I've changed. I was never as big a gun nut as your average gun nut(like my parents), but I'm pretty much just like "fuck it" in regards to guns these days. I'll always keep my bolt action rifle I use for deer hunting, the 20 gauge shotgun that belonged to my late Papaw, and my two 22 LRs, one which I got from my parents when I turned 16 and one which my grandpa gave me that is from the 1930s. But other than that, meh. Other than the sentimental value and hunting, I just don't care about owning more guns. I hate that this is a problem unique to America and we don't do shit about it. 

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No but you seem to have lightened up on the subject a little... that's all I was saying.

2020 is the GOPs year to feel the heat in the senate, GOP has Senate candidates in NC, TX, IO, KS, GA, AZ, ME, and CO, all of which dems made huge gains or won statewide elections in, while the GOP hopes are basically just Alabama.  Its also a presidential year so hopefully they get a good candidate there and win meaning 1 less they need in the Senate, also guarantees higher turnout.

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

2020 is the GOPs year to feel the heat in the senate, GOP has Senate candidates in NC, TX, IO, KS, GA, AZ, ME, and CO, all of which dems made huge gains or won statewide elections in, while the GOP hopes are basically just Alabama.  Its also a presidential year so hopefully they get a good candidate there and win meaning 1 less they need in the Senate, also guarantees higher turnout.

I can tell you the Collins cowardly way she dealt with the Kauvaunah confirmation pissed A LOT of people off in Maine. A lot of people felt she was set for life but there’s been a huge backlash and I can see her getting run out in 2020. 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Beto was also able to lift other Democrats and looks like he helped establish some much needed infrastructure for Texas Dems.

Glad we still got the two competitive seats in Florida, but I'm pleasantly surprised by some of the "Likely R" seats going Democrat yesterday nationwide.

I really hope this sends a strong message to the DNC that Texas can be in play for Dems if you'll bother to do anything in Texas. And not just shrug and go "Texas always goes red". It's looking like the statewide margin for Beto's loss will be less than 220k votes. Across all of Texas, that is not that much, advertising could have still been stronger. 

But sadly this was also the best a strong Democratic candidate could do against a Republican that even Republicans don't like. They'll vote anyone with an R next to their name to prevent somebody with D from winning. The best thing the Republican party did to help Cruz win was loudly cry out their fear of losing to a Democrat. With this level of voter turn out I wonder if Cruz's popularity was even factor. Did he get about as much of the vote as he could hope for? While Beto did better than Hillary, Cruz did not nearly do as well as Trump in Texas in 2016. We'll have to see when that last 1% is finalized, but right now this election is still shy of 2016 voter turn out by the tune of about 300k-400k votes. It could still shake up that enough Republicans still stayed home that could sway a major election. 

I dunno. I guess the hope is that despite the turnout for Democrats this election there is still a large, lethargic group of Dems that vote during Presidential elections that still stayed home.

So many variables it could make a person crazy wondering if there is truly hope in Texas. 

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

GOP also lost its super majority in NC state congress, meaning the Dem governor can no longer be overridden on vetos, I mean outside of the Senate and FL this has been a real beating.

Beto feels like a big loss, because the GOP spin machine are treating like a huge win. As if Cruz won some kind of mandate. By Texas Republican standards, he barely won. Trump won Texas by 9% and Mccain won by more than 8% before that. With Bush having won by 22% and 23% respectively. 

23 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

2020 is the GOPs year to feel the heat in the senate, GOP has Senate candidates in NC, TX, IO, KS, GA, AZ, ME, and CO, all of which dems made huge gains or won statewide elections in, while the GOP hopes are basically just Alabama.

Assuming Cornyn runs for re-election in Texas, he is much safer bet than Cruz was. Republicans in Texas like Cornyn much more than Cruz. And I don’t think you’re going to have nearly as dynamic a candidate as O’Rourke to challenge him.

As with most on the left, I have pretty mixed feelings about the outcome.

On the one hand, the most important thing is that we have a slightly divided government again. There will be some measure of checks and balances, though the degree of their effectiveness will remain to be seen.

Still, the overwhelming feeling that I have is that this wasn't much of a rebuke of Trump or the worst in his party. They won more seats in the Senate. Steve King and Duncan Hunter both won. Where Democrats did win, it wasn't in surprising victories or upsets. Maybe it's partially the effect of the polling doing a good job, but when you win by 9%+ and it's a mixed bag at best, it feels like something is broken.

Yes the Senate map was difficult for Democrats, and yes the fundamentals favor the sitting party, but for a lot of the GOP I think they can look at this result and feel pretty good, like they can keep on track. Their blatant racism did pretty well. Voter suppression seems like a winning strategy. Old people still matter far more than young ones. Identifying with Trump works better than working against him. Obviously the legislative agenda is now stopped in its tracks, but now they can blame Democrats for their failures.

Trump's entire term was always going to be difficult, and I had no right to expect any better, but looking ahead my primary feeling is exhaustion.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

As with most on the left, I have pretty mixed feelings about the outcome.

On the one hand, the most important thing is that we have a slightly divided government again. There will be some measure of checks and balances, though the degree of their effectiveness will remain to be seen.

Still, the overwhelming feeling that I have is that this wasn't much of a rebuke of Trump or the worst in his party. They won more seats in the Senate. Steve King and Duncan Hunter both won. Where Democrats did win, it wasn't in surprising victories or upsets. Maybe it's partially the effect of the polling doing a good job, but when you win by 9%+ and it's a mixed bag at best, it feels like something is broken.

Yes the Senate map was difficult for Democrats, and yes the fundamentals favor the sitting party, but for a lot of the GOP I think they can look at this result and feel pretty good, like they can keep on track. Their blatant racism did pretty well. Voter suppression seems like a winning strategy. Old people still matter far more than young ones. Identifying with Trump works better than working against him. Obviously the legislative agenda is now stopped in its tracks, but now they can blame Democrats for their failures.

Trump's entire term was always going to be difficult, and I had no right to expect any better, but looking ahead my primary feeling is exhaustion.

The Democrats won quite a few surprise seats in the House in suburban districts where they didn't expect to, so I think it was actually a pretty good night. Look at which areas went Democratic (Midwest, etc) and it looks like 2020 could be very good for them if Trump remains as unpopular as he is. And imagine if the same % of Millenials turnout then.

45 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Florida Democrats have absolutely no idea what to do

Tuesday’s results also showed the Democratic Party’s stronghold counties, especially in the two largest counties of Miami-Dade and Broward, had some of the lowest turnout rates in the state — even after an unprecedented campaign to get them to vote.

Because there's something in the water down there and the whole state is bat shit insane.

If Donald Trump squatted down and took a big sloppy shit on the ground... that shit would be Josh Hawley... and that little smarmy fuckfaced fucker face fucking won yesterday.

I hate this shithole state.

His campaign rhetoric was literally... America is more dived than ever... pause... and I'm on YOUR side, and screw the other side... YAY! That's literally every speech and commercial for this fuckstick.

He just says it... politics are ugly, we're more divided than ever... and I'll fight for you and heartland morals! Fuck those other guys! Divide divide divide!!!

He's the (second) worst possible human imaginable. He's a fucking shitstain. I'm ashamed that he's representing me and I'm ashamed that I live in a state that is capable of voting for someone like him.