~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

Beto did very well for a statewide race in Texas and he helped every other Democrat on the ballot and probably helped flip some house races for the Dems. Texas still has a few years before it turns reliably purple, but it's moving that direction. Beto was a best case scenario for the Dems since he was a rock star and Ted Cruz isn't even liked among Republicans. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

1. It's in the constitution

I'm tempted to raise what the constitution actually says and the history behind it, but lets set that aside. So if we amended the constitution you would no longer feel that way?

Just now, mclumber1 said:

2. Absent someone actually preventing you from exercising a right, you have that right.  

I'm asking you why you think it's a right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this sounds circular.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I think the question should be why not.

People shouldn't have to prove they have the freedom to do or have x....the state should have to give a damn good justification for why each restriction upon personal freedom is absolutely necessary.

I'll take you one further: every single policy and position for a policy, be not doing something or doing something, should be justified by consequential results that can be tested and refined with time.

To take something so far as to call it a "right" you better have a damn good consequential reason to put it on that kind of legal pedestal.

1 minute ago, ThreePi said:

Has any mainstream Dem politician ever actually advocated  taking people's guns away? Common sense gun laws != seizing people's guns.

I'm by no means a Dem politician, but I'm for taking away all guns except for shotguns and single shot rifles.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

House was called for them.

But the talk from you sounds really down, man, as if it's affecting your personal/professional life. You're a cool cat; I'm totally down for talking with you some time,

Okay, I'm a bit more rational and calm now, seeing that the dems will all but certainly take the house at this point.

I'm just going to be going through a period of change and uncertainly for the next couple of months.  The training for the new job starts in two weeks and goes until after New Year's, and I'm temporarily moving back in with my parents on Friday because the commute from their house will be shorter and easier.  I'm hoping that I get the job and then can then find my own apartment soon afterwards.

But yeah, seeing Trump spend the last 2+ years trying to lead America towards the path to becoming Dumbfuckistan has not been good for my mental health.  And there's still a lot of work to be done, especially in 2020.  But at least for tonight, I can rest a bit easier.

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

Okay, I'm a bit more rational and calm now, seeing that the dems will all but certainly take the house at this point.

I'm just going to be going through a period of change and uncertainly for the next couple of months.  The training for the new job starts in two weeks and goes until after New Year's, and I'm temporarily moving back in with my parents on Friday because the commute from their house will be shorter and easier.  I'm hoping that I get the job and then can then find my own apartment soon afterwards.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING YOU'RE A FUCKING GANGSTER

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

1. It's in the constitution

2. Absent someone actually preventing you from exercising a right, you have that right.  

1. IT'S REALLY FUCKING NOT. 

Are you a member of the National Guard? 

No: You aren't well trained. You aren't a militia. Hence you have no legal right to own a gun.

Yes: Ok, you can own a gun. 

Here, I'll compromise--if you aren't a member of the National Guard and still want to own a gun, then you can purchase a powder loaded musket, just like the founding fathers intended. 

Just now, PaladinSolo said:

Dem house gains could hit 40.

There is a little tangible benefit to running up the score in the House, like obviously a cushion for votes from defectors and giving Dems a percieved "mandate" to provide a check on Trump.

But mostly I am just glad for every extra digit we can shove in his fat face when he tries to make excuses for why he just got his ass kicked.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

I'll take you one further: every single policy and position for a policy, be not doing something or doing something, should be justified by consequential results that can be tested and refined with time.

To take something so far as to call it a "right" you better have a damn good consequential reason to put it on that kind of legal pedestal.

Apart from empirical results, gun ownership as a right could be argued to be closely related to the right of self defense. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I dislike taking away enumerated rights.  Especially negative rights.

I don't see how you can make a naked statement like that. Whether you like or dislike taking away a right should be contingent on its effects being positive or negative.

2 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

1. IT'S REALLY FUCKING NOT. 

Are you a member of the National Guard? 

No: You aren't well trained. You aren't a militia. Hence you have no legal right to own a gun.

Yes: Ok, you can own a gun. 

Here, I'll compromise--if you aren't a member of the National Guard and still want to own a gun, then you can purchase a powder loaded musket, just like the founding fathers intended. 

SEE THIS IS WHY THE DEMS LOSE GOP VOTERS

LEAVE MY ASAULT RIFLES ALONE I NEED THEM TO PROTECT MY LAND FROM LOOTERS

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm tempted to raise what the constitution actually says and the history behind it, but lets set that aside. So if we amended the constitution you would no longer feel that way?

I'm asking you why you think it's a right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this sounds circular.

I think of it this way: Absent someone forcefully preventing you from doing it, or punishing you for doing it, you have the right to exercise it.   I know I'm doing a terrible job of explaining my position, but whatever.