"The Titan Submersible Disaster Was Years in the Making, New Details Reveal" - fantastic Vanity Fair article that even features a "Heated Gaming Moment" involving the Mad Catz controller!

10 hours ago, Amazatron said:

These 19-20 year olds have more common sense than the older people.

Jay-and-Sean-Bloom-062423-02-f284b657d00
PEOPLE.COM

Jay Bloom and his 20-year-old son Sean Bloom backed out of their plans to board the 'Titan' submersible over safety concerns, a decision that saved their lives.

Not necessarily... the wife and mother of the father and son who died on the ship said in an interview I just watched that SHE was supposed to go with her husband but the son REALLY WANTED TO GO so she gave up her seat. That's out of her own mouth.

So where are we getting this narrative that the 19 year old was basically forced to go on this trip by his father? According to his own mother, he really wanted to go and wanted to solve a rubik's cube on the way down.

• True 1

10 hours ago, Amazatron said:

These 19-20 year olds have more common sense than the older people.

Jay-and-Sean-Bloom-062423-02-f284b657d00
PEOPLE.COM

Jay Bloom and his 20-year-old son Sean Bloom backed out of their plans to board the 'Titan' submersible over safety concerns, a decision that saved their lives.

A lot of people coming out of the woodwork now saying how they didn't go on it. Mr. Beast is claiming this now.

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

A lot of people coming out of the woodwork now saying how they didn't go on it. Mr. Beast is claiming this now.

There are probably a lot of influencer types they reached out to to comp rides to drum up publicity.

• True 1

14 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

There are probably a lot of influencer types they reached out to to comp rides to drum up publicity.

I don’t remember if this one was mentioned in the thread but this guy would have went down to see the Titanic but the weather was bad and the sub was having issues…Then the next trip the Titan took was the one that imploded.

2 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don’t remember if this one was mentioned in the thread but this guy would have went down to see the Titanic but the weather was bad and the sub was having issues…Then the next trip the Titan took was the one that imploded.

Dammit, we were this close.

29 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Similar to the CBS story except it was 2 scrapped voyages and one successful one.

40 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I saw that video, I don't know if it was here or somewhere else.

The weird thing about Ocean Gate is they seem very much dedicated to making sure the components worked right and the thing that failed is the thing Rush said was the most important part.  But I'm guessing there's not an easy way to see if your carbon fiber hull is weakening, they had those dubious sonic censors which I'm sure registered something for a split second.

• Halal 1

Even rich people can get swindled when you can "give" them something they want. Somehow the CEO, Rush, basically bamboozled these billionaires. He preyed on these people and influencers with aggressive marketing (lies), hounded them if they said no, offered discounted prices, and was desperate to get attention because the company was most likely broke. The influencers even got free rides, lol. He definitely exaggerated, if not outright made up, false data points claiming how safe/thorough his design was, probably even exaggerated about safety tests. 

Two of the other people who died were experienced deep sea divers, who were also warned by their experienced deep sea diver friends to not go on that sub, but they did anyway. The allure of this mythological Titanic wreckage can't be that enticing on its own.

The father/son duo fell for the scam, and they probably thought it was safe enough if two other experienced submariners were willing to go. Maybe the wife will shed light on why they ignored all the warnings.

I mean, I don't know if scam is the right term... he did have many previous successful trips down there...

If the owner himself wasn't onboard, I could see it being a scam, but as it is, I think it's just a bunch of people thinking the rules don't apply to them... and for billionaires and crazy submarine inventor dudes, that's usually true... but the laws of physics don't care how rich or entrepreneurial/ambitious you are.

Anyone who cuts corners on safety for the pursuit of "innovation", or cost saving can, to quote Kal, eat my ass. 

I only hope there was a brief moment before the implosion where Stockton Rush realized he fucked up majorly, and that fear, and guilt where his final thoughts before he became Pico de Guy-o. 

5 minutes ago, Brick said:

Anyone who cuts corners on safety for the pursuit of "innovation", or cost saving can, to quote Kal, eat my ass. 

I only hope there was a brief moment before the implosion where Stockton Rush realized he fucked up majorly, and that fear, and guilt where his final thoughts before he became Pico de Guy-o. 

Unlikely.

spacer.png

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

19 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah I read about those too, and was initially having the same train of thought, but I doubt those worked meaningfully.

Probably not from what past riders have said on tv interviews. One of them said that they did hear sounds now and then from the pringles can. The guy hogging the controller said that the sensors would let them know if something bad was happening and would bring them back up to safety. Experts in the field said that you shouldn’t be hearing shit in sub. So I take it that they didn’t really have JackShit in any sort of safety equipment on that thing.

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Probably not from what past riders have said on tv interviews. One of them said that they did hear sounds now and then from the pringles can. The guy hogging the controller said that the sensors would let them know if something bad was happening and would bring them back up to safety. Experts in the field said that you shouldn’t be hearing shit in sub. So I take it that they didn’t really have JackShit in any sort of safety equipment on that thing.

What even would sensors letting them know that the sole hull on their Pringles can thousands of feet underwater even accomplish? Clearance aisle carbon fiber has been compromised, now what? That thing isn't going to be able to surface fast enough to stop them from being vaporized. If they even had such a sensor, it was only to let them know if their inspection free roll of paper towels didn't have a leak. That's probably only good for like the first 20, 50 feet.

I think they did know... I read a report that they have evidence that not only did they jettison the emergency weights on the bottom, but that they went a step further and jettisoned the entire back part of the sub to make their ascent even more rapid. These are things they would have had to have been triggered by the pilot, so they knew something was very wrong. How long did they know that? I don't know... seconds? minutes? who knows...

EDIT: The "inside" info was that they jettisoned the "standard" emergency weights to start a rapid ascent, they did not ditch the entire rear, I heard that somewhere, but I can't find info on that anywhere...

On 6/24/2023 at 4:28 PM, Brick said:

Fault the adults all you want, but again this kid seemed to be forced into it. How many of us were fully, truly independent from our parents at 19?

Look, I think it sucks that he felt he had to do it, but at no point in my life that I can think of can I even fathom joining my parents in something so unbelievably dangerous. I'd get out of the car if I felt like they were driving too erratically because they were pissed off or something.  I also don't have much of a frame of reference for being too dependent on my parents though since I was financially supporting them while they were making incredible stupid choices when I was 19, so I guess in some way I wasn't independent from them.

If I'm to feel even a drop of pity or sympathy, it'd definitely be for the 19 year old. The rest, though, well, that's life. Fuckin' sucks but the ocean's not your friend.

8 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Look, I think it sucks that he felt he had to do it, but at no point in my life that I can think of can I even fathom joining my parents in something so unbelievably dangerous. I'd get out of the car if I felt like they were driving too erratically because they were pissed off or something.  I also don't have much of a frame of reference for being too dependent on my parents though since I was financially supporting them while they were making incredible stupid choices when I was 19, so I guess in some way I wasn't independent from them.

If I'm to feel even a drop of pity or sympathy, it'd definitely be for the 19 year old. The rest, though, well, that's life. Fuckin' sucks but the ocean's not your friend.

Buddy aint got beat by his parents.

You mean the whole air getting super hot/combusting thing?  The problem with that is the amount of time involved.  Heat is one thing, time is another.  Even if we assume that the sudden implosion did create significant heat and even a combustion, which some people debate, implosion takes place over a matter of milliseconds.  You still need time to burn something to a cinder no matter how hot it is.  You can watch people cooking a steak on lava and whole the outside gets charred to a crisp immediately, the inside is essentially raw, and that’s thousands of degrees with a much higher thermal density than air.  A cremation chamber takes two hours to reduce a body to ash at 2,000 degrees.  Someone on Reddit did the math and under a perfect spherical compression that amount of gas in that sub would probably get to about 2,500 degrees.  Even if those absolutely perfect conditions were met and the water and debris didn’t reduce the column of air into countless smaller bubbles, those few milliseconds means that it would have been hit enough to burn a body to ashes for about 1/480,000th the amount of time necessary before they were surrounded by seawater slightly above freezing.  

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 2