"The Titan Submersible Disaster Was Years in the Making, New Details Reveal" - fantastic Vanity Fair article that even features a "Heated Gaming Moment" involving the Mad Catz controller!

47 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

James Cameron is actually a legit innovator in deepsea exploration. These dipshits were just tourists with a CEO who huffed his own farts.

He was just on with Anderson and was interesting to hear his experience/expertise in this field. He was pretty much saying that with the material used in the hulls design, it was much like a ticking time bomb ready to explode or in this case, implode. Something about the ships material being use was held with adhesives to build its protective shell at that depth. He also said because of that design with the  adhesive, it would contract and expand with each dive down and lose precious holding of the layers. So the ship was getting weaker with each dive because of this poor decision and the signs were there/warned. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

He was just on with Anderson and was interesting to hear his experience/expertise in this field. He was pretty much saying that with the material used in the hulls design, it was much like a ticking time bomb ready to explode or in this case, implode. Something about the ships material being use was held with adhesives to build its protective shell at that depth. He also said because of that design with the  adhesive, it would contract and expand with each dive down and lose precious holding of the layers. So the ship was getting weaker with each dive because of this poor decision and the signs were there/warned. 

4 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Compression/Decomperssion cycles are a bitch. This is why you have real engineers and submariners in charge. 

7 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Is James Cameron engineering submarines in the same way Elon Musk is engineering electronic cars, or is he doing more than signing a fat check?

He's legit. I am pretty sure the stuff he developed for Abyss and Titanic is considered groundbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

He's legit. I am pretty sure the stuff he developed for Abyss and Titanic is considered groundbreaking.

Even if he was just writing fat checks to someone who actually knows what he's doing, that would still indicate infinitely more sense than this Oceangate guy,

27 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Is James Cameron engineering submarines in the same way Elon Musk is engineering electronic cars, or is he doing more than signing a fat check?

Obviously he's not like... THE guy doing the design, but he does get deep into the nitty gritty stuff, is physically present at every stage of development, and he knows a hell of a lot more about engineering submersibles than Elon will ever know about how to make a car.

I think the difference is that James Cameron doesn't do it for money. Deep sea exploration is a legit passion of his. He's not a tourist.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

He sounds pretty legit to me. That interview he said he has been down to see the Titanic 33 times. I just read during one trip, a strong current trapped them against the stern of the Titanic and they were down there for 16 hours.

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I am not sure the 19 year old kid on the sub had all the knowledge to understand what he was getting in to.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This is such bad logic that you ought to feel worse for this than any ghoulish jokes :p 

The 19-year-old passenger "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the Titanic wreckage, his aunt said

So, on reflection -

As much as I think it was in poor taste to meme the demise of these people, I do get it. These are people who have wealth that we will never know, who do nothing other than profit from our sweat and blood, and you want us to shed a tear? Let me play the world's tiniest violin because an expedition that you knew could be deadly turned out to actually be deadly, and seemingly in no small part because the CEO hates safety regulations that put the rest of us at risk the same way all corporations want to put us at risk, then blame us when shit goes south. The same regulations that you shoot down so you can make an extra buck. 

This kind of event does shed light on how the common person actually views these people. Imagine if Musk or Bezos actually bit it during a rocket launch.

When the wealth of the few has reached a level where a (seeming) majority of people reflect on their deaths with apathy at best or joy at worst... maybe there's a problem.

And again, I get it. This little trip cost more than I make in 4-5 years

• Halal 3

31 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

The 19-year-old passenger "wasn't very up for it" and felt "terrified" about the trip to explore the Titanic wreckage, his aunt said

You are very bad at this.

2 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

So when are the tours of the Titan gonna start?

I can see it now

Come see the Titanic, and then we shall look at the Titan-ick disaster

the experts said @SoberChefthat their brains wouldn’t even have time to registered the implosion. Said it would of been like being hit/crushed at 1500mph

24 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I can see it now

Come see the Titanic, and then we shall look at the Titan-ick disaster

the experts said @SoberChefthat their brains wouldn’t even have time to registered the implosion. Said it would of been like being hit/crushed at 1500mph

Unless there was some ominous creaking/rumbling beforehand. 

• True 1

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

And there ain't no way you're playing a more stupid game than watching the CEO pick up a $20, 20 year old generic ass gamepad with Madonna bras on it and thinking "boy howdy this sure seems like a good idea." The 19 year old "kid" was an adult and I'm pretty sure knew his dad thought safety was gay as he was happy to tell people. I'd be asking my dad what he wanted in his eulogy, not getting in the coffin next to him.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

So, on reflection -

As much as I think it was in poor taste to meme the demise of these people, I do get it. These are people who have wealth that we will never know, who do nothing other than profit from our sweat and blood, and you want us to shed a tear? Let me play the world's tiniest violin because an expedition that you knew could be deadly turned out to actually be deadly, and seemingly in no small part because the CEO hates safety regulations that put the rest of us at risk the same way all corporations want to put us at risk, then blame us when shit goes south. The same regulations that you shoot down so you can make an extra buck. 

This kind of event does shed light on how the common person actually views these people. Imagine if Musk or Bezos actually bit it during a rocket launch.

When the wealth of the few has reached a level where a (seeming) majority of people reflect on their deaths with apathy at best or joy at worst... maybe there's a problem.

And again, I get it. This little trip cost more than I make in 4-5 years

It is rational to want the death of horrible people that harm the world, so that's fine. But there is no way to justify wanting them to horrifically suffer on top of that without invoking some pretty ugly values. It's a common human reaction to wish for such suffering, but it's not one we should encourage.

That's where I land.

17 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I was basically obsessed with Titanic as a kid. I read everything I could get my hands on. I still retain most of that knowledge because I’m weird like that. 

I was the same way. The 90's were such a good time to be a Titanic-obsessed kid.

• Halal 2