"The Titan Submersible Disaster Was Years in the Making, New Details Reveal" - fantastic Vanity Fair article that even features a "Heated Gaming Moment" involving the Mad Catz controller!

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I mean, I don’t like the idea of billionaires and think they shouldn’t exist, but this is a horror I really wouldn’t wish on any human being. I don’t really feel a need to joke about it. It’s kinda cringe. 

I wish this on billionaires 

There’s more inequality in our nation than the height of Roman empire.

But at least they led troops into battle, we’re objectively worse than that. 

oh a few rich people are gonna die from their own hubris. Well anyway. I’m sure I’ll be super broken up about them the next time I code someone. I think I’ll be ok.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

I wish this on billionaires 

There’s more inequality in our nation than the height of Roman empire.

But at least they led troops into battle, we’re objectively worse than that. 

oh a few rich people are gonna die from their own hubris. Well anyway. I’m sure I’ll be super broken up about them the next time I code someone. I think I’ll be ok.

I won’t mourn them, but I’m not gonna celebrate like some people. I just think it’s a terrible way to die. 

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I won’t mourn them, but I’m not gonna celebrate like some people. I just think it’s a terrible way to die. 

Not celebrating, but I do find it cathartic. We’ve both seen far worse ways to die over the last few years. I don’t care at all that these rich idiots are about to implode on the ocean floor.

Billionaires demonstrate everything wrong with our system.

Everything I've seen says that the best case scenario is that they're on the surface somewhere, but even then they'll run out of oxygen. If they're in the depths somewhere, they likely imploded or froze to death (assuming they had no power) before oxygen was ever an issue.

I hope for their sake it was implosion.

There’s a really interesting thread on the banned site from @LadyDoctorSays about just how fucked this sub was to begin with.

Apparently no part of the propulsion system had any redundancy built in? So if one of the two vertical thrusters got cooked, you’d just never be able to ascend, you’d just rotate.

Why the fuck would anyone get into this thing???

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

There's no need to mince words here. There are many rich folks that think other rich folks are just as brilliant as they view themselves as. Well, he's gone down before and he came back just fine and he's just like me and he says it's safe, so it must be safe.

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There's no need to mince words here. There are many rich folks that think other rich folks are just as brilliant as they view themselves as. Well, he's gone down before and he came back just fine and he's just like me and he says it's safe, so it must be safe.

Anyone who ever bitches about safety regulations can eat my ass until the end of time.

• True 2
  • Halal 2

32 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Watch that video I posted. Even the reporter who got in the ship had a very lighthearted attitude when signing the waver that he could die. Maybe they just assumed it was safe especially for how much it cost. :p

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Rich people do a lot of dangerous/stupid things - Climbing Mount Everest, for example.  The number of people who have died during that climb, and left up there frozen for years or decades is pretty surreal. 

Motherfuckers shouldn’t be allowed to litter the environment with oxygen tanks and corpses either, it’s fucking dumb.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

16 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Motherfuckers shouldn’t be allowed to litter the environment with oxygen tanks and corpses either, it’s fucking dumb.

Hey, they know to take it easy and relax

230621111456-02-titan-search-horizon-arc
WWW.CNN.COM

A massive search operation is underway in an area twice the size of Connecticut for the submersible that went missing Sunday — as officials fear the craft's oxygen supply could run out this morning. Follow for live news updates.

He said OceanGate CEO and co-founder Stockton Rush — who is aboard the sub — and the rest of the crew would have "realized days ago that the best thing they can do to ensure their rescue is to extend the limits of those supplies by relaxing as much as possible."

Based on the crew members' expertise, the "window available" for rescue is longer than "what most people think," Söhnlein said. 

I think someone who rode the sub said it takes 18 civets to bolt them in. They had done 17 and then for the 18th one he said was loose. Guy told him 17 would still be fine and the 18th one really didn’t matter. That sounds like something safe I’d jump into :rolleyes: Think this was one of the writers from The Simpsons too.

Quick someone check to see if they predicted this. 

15 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I don’t really feel a need to joke about it. It’s kinda cringe. 

People die all the time just going about their lives in much more tragic ways.

Out of anyone on Earth, these people had the means to insure their safety and chose to explore the depths of the ocean in a tin can that had violated many safety regulations.

This holier than thou attitude is cringe.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, Amazatron said:

Out of anyone on Earth, these people had the means to insure their safety and chose to explore the depths of the ocean in a tin can that had violated many safety regulations.

I am not sure the 19 year old kid on the sub had all the knowledge to understand what he was getting in to.

4 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Old enough to vote and own firearms…

This is such bad logic that you ought to feel worse for this than any ghoulish jokes :p 

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Not wanting to joke about a horrific way to die isn’t holier than thou. But whatever, you do you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I know the death was probably close to instant in some ways but you've been in the dark for days without food, claustrophobic, absolutely brutal in some ways. 

Yeah, I’d rather the instant implosion. The thought of sitting in complete darkness in that tiny space with little hope just waiting to die is the part that gets me. 

• Hugs 1