"The Titan Submersible Disaster Was Years in the Making, New Details Reveal" - fantastic Vanity Fair article that even features a "Heated Gaming Moment" involving the Mad Catz controller!

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

I know it’s obvious and everything, but I just cannot get over the hubris it takes to think that your jank ass sub won’t sink on a tourist jaunt to gaze at an “unsinkable” ship on the ocean floor.

It’s really something. Definitely not something I would ever want to do. Kinda like extreme mountain climbing. Love to read about it and watch docs, but I’d never actually do it. This seemed especially dangerous, compared to all the research missions that have gone before it. 

31 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Imagine having two separate generations of your family dead at the exact same spot on the bottom of the ocean, but separated by  over a century. 

The wife, who is the descendent, was not on the sub. FYI.

48 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I was basically obsessed with Titanic as a kid. I read everything I could get my hands on. I still retain most of that knowledge because I’m weird like that. 

The movie sparked my interest in it.  Even seeing it as a kid, I enjoyed it.  Obviously I was a bit too young to fully understand the romance and stuff, but I deeply enjoyed the technicals and special effects.

• silentbob changed the title to Titanic Tour Rests with the Ship Now
3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I’d rather the instant implosion. The thought of sitting in complete darkness in that tiny space with little hope just waiting to die is the part that gets me. 

ARCHIVE.PH

WASHINGTON—A top secret U.S. Navy acoustic detection system designed to spot enemy submarines first heard the Titan sub implosion hours after the submersible began its mission, officials involved in the search said.

The Navy began listening for the Titan almost as soon as the sub lost communications, according to a U.S. defense official. Shortly after its disappearance, the U.S. system detected what it suspected was the sound of an implosion near the debris site discovered Thursday and reported its findings to the commander on site, U.S. defense officials said.

58 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I don’t want to be insensitive but I can’t believe no one suggested it was the orcas have a celebratory drum circle party

I can't find it, but I saw a meme the other day that was a bunch of Orca's in a drum circle saying "send down more billionaires!"

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

The movie sparked my interest in it.  Even seeing it as a kid, I enjoyed it.  Obviously I was a bit too young to fully understand the romance and stuff, but I deeply enjoyed the technicals and special effects.

I was 10 when the movie released and already knew a plethora of facts. I remember begging my parents to take me to see it and being in awe of how much Cameron got right. And my dad tossing my jacket over my head when the boobies came on screen, lol. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I was wondering if/when this would come into play.

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Underwater microphones designed to detect enemy submarines first detected Titan tragedy

As odd as it feels to say so, if they "had" to die, I hope this was how it went. Better an instant death than days of waiting for a rescue that never came. 

30 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

spacer.png

This might have been posted at some point already. But, either this system failed. Or it didn't fail and their mechanism for ascent failed. An absolute nightmare if it were the latter.

Who knows what this thing was supposed to do, but it's certainly written as though it couldn't possibly detect fast failure, which is going to happen at depth.

I've seen the Cameron clip now, and even though I'm not any kind of engineer, my train of thought was somewhat similar to his... there's a ton of insight into how to make deep see diving craft safe, they just can't accommodate tourists because they're built for research. It'd be like someone deciding to make a supersonic aircraft by putting someone in a Radio Flyer shot out of a railgun, just ignoring all common sense and lessons in the name of HURR INNOVATE REGULATIONS BAD