GQ: Why Are So Many Guys Obsessed With Master and Commander?

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What an absolute masterpiece of a film this is - right up there with Lawrence of Arabia and The Bridge on the River Kwai for me!

I knew I didn't have to @ you, I figure you have Master and Commander alerts set up :p

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

I need to watch this again. I think I was too young to appreciate it when it hit theaters. Same with Thin Red Line which I’ve gone back and watched and absolutely changed my mind about. 

Thin Red Line is one of those films you almost have to be of a certain age to appreciate, as I too watched when it was first out & I was but in my early 20s, having seen it recently, it's a whole other experience & meticulous in its intention to discover quiet moments of peace & calm in life (at least that's what I got out of it.)

As for Master & Commander, genuinely have loved this film since first seeing it in theaters all those years ago. I continue to be hopeful that perhaps Criterion will give this film its fair due & provide a sensational 4K alongside a slew of new supplemental materials & interviews & commentaries even. Nearly always throw this on whenever I'm channel surfing & see it on, I can jump in at any point in this film & be completely at peace.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Is this gif from that movie? It's the only thing I (maybe) know about it:

UiXAker.gif

No that is from Les Miserables.

And I love Master and Commander, always have. I've shown my wife the movie at least twice, and my brothers even, and none of them understand why I love this movie so much, or why a lot of men do. What a moving, beautiful film. I used to watch the movie like every other year since it came out.

My uncle used to sail on antique sailing ships like the Star of India ("The world's oldest active sailing ship") in addition to recording albums of sea shanties (he played the squeezebox). He took sailing and historical accuracy very seriously. Master and Commander was easily his favorite film.

I care much less that it's accurate and just love it as a film, but it's kind of nice to know that it really is as real as it feels.

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

On 3/8/2023 at 10:09 PM, Kal-El814 said:

Because it fucking rules.

masterandcommander3.jpg?mbid=social_retw
WWW.GQ.COM

20 years after its release, the mildly successful historical nautical drama has become an inescapable hit with a certain type of movie fan.

This is gonna inspire a rewatch.

Watched it recently so good. 

I never cared for naval warfare until my boy got me into World of Warships.

Only negative is no sequels and the conflicted of a Teaboo and a Napoleon lover at the same time. Can't figure out how to square that tbh.

On 3/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, best3444 said:

Never seen it. I despise anything to do with ships etc. Pirates and things like that NEVER turned me on either. Just the entire setting is awful. 

Its not a pirate movie. It's a RN frigate I think vs a French frigate. It seems to be a reasonable accurate Age of Sail war movie basically.

• 1 month later...

Master and Commander is one of the best movies ever made. The only reason it didn't get Best Picture was because it came out the same year as Return of the King.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen it in a while. I think I know what I'm watching tonight.