Update: Henry Cavill looks to star/executive produce Warhammer 40K series for Amazon

From his Instagram post:

313184539_889621445356951_57871581696975
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Henry Cavill shared a post on Instagram: "Some news to share from The Continent… My journey as Geralt of Rivia has been filled with both monsters and adventures, and alas, I will be laying down my medallion and my swords for Season 4. In my stead, the fantastic Mr Liam Hemsworth will be taking up the mantle of the White Wolf. As with the greatest of literary characters, I pass the torch with reverence for the time spent embodying Geralt and...

My journey as Geralt of Rivia has been filled with both monsters and adventures, and alas, I will be laying down my medallion and my swords for Season 4. In my stead, the fantastic Mr Liam Hemsworth will be taking up the mantle of the White Wolf. As with the greatest of literary characters, I pass the torch with reverence for the time spent embodying Geralt and enthusiasm to see Liam's take on this most fascinating and nuanced of men.

Liam, good sir, this character has such a wonderful depth to him, enjoy diving in and seeing what you can find.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Henry Cavill announces his departure from The Witcher after Season 3, Liam Hemsworth to take over the role of Geralt

Was coming to post this. I wonder what happened... I suspect he's back as Superman :thinking: This is also relevant...

the-witcher-source-material-166662440977
WWW.IGN.COM

Beau DeMayo, a former producer and writer on The Witcher, has claimed that some writers on the Netflix series "actively disliked" Andrzej Sapkowski's books and CD Projekt Red's games.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was coming to post this. I wonder what happened... I suspect he's back as Superman :thinking:

He said he was coming back as Superman several days ago.

MCDBAVV_EC017.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

Henry Cavill says "the future is bright" when it comes to Superman on the big screen.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

He said he was coming back as Superman several days ago.

MCDBAVV_EC017.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

Henry Cavill says "the future is bright" when it comes to Superman on the big screen.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF :p

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Henry Cavill announces his departure from The Witcher after Season 3, Liam Hemsworth will be the new Geralt

Just to play Superman again I guess. Hopefully the new Superman movies are indeed more joyful and hopeful than the Snyderverse garbage. 

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was coming to post this. I wonder what happened... I suspect he's back as Superman :thinking: This is also relevant...

the-witcher-source-material-166662440977
WWW.IGN.COM

Beau DeMayo, a former producer and writer on The Witcher, has claimed that some writers on the Netflix series "actively disliked" Andrzej Sapkowski's books and CD Projekt Red's games.

Why would you sign on to write for a property you "actively dislike"? 

14 minutes ago, Brick said:

Just to play Superman again I guess. Hopefully the new Superman movies are indeed more joyful and hopeful than the Snyderverse garbage. 

To get paid when you don’t have anything else in the works. I do it every day. 

• Halal 1

Wow what a huge disappointment. He played the role so well and was a magnet to the show. He must have plans to play Superman and lots of shows and movies and they made him quite an offer. Netflix knows how important he is for The Witcher. My guess is the work environment sucked. 

This lowers my excitement for the show going forward considerably. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

Ummm money? I know PLENTY of writers who do this. I have a friend who worked on House of the Dragon and shitted on that show the whole time he was on it. He called it "The Real Housewives of Westeros" :lol: and hasn't watched the show at ALL sense it came out. A lot of working TV writers HATE the show they're on especially the genre stuff. It's not uncommon at all.

• Halal 1

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm money? I know PLENTY of writers who do this. I have a friend who worked on House of the Dragon and shitted on that show the whole time he was on it. He called it "The Real Housewives of Westeros" :lol: and hasn't watched the show at ALL sense it came out. A lot of working TV writers HATE the show they're on especially the genre stuff. It's not uncommon at all.

My uncle worked as a touring musician for Billy Ray Cyrus in the 90's. He HATES Billy Ray Cyrus' music. There's footage of him online somewhere absolutely jamming out to Achy Breaky Heart.

At the end of the day, it's just getting paid.

• True 1

Most of the speculation I’m reading is he has creative differences with the show runners. This makes sense since Cavill is a fan of the books and games and the show seems to be deviating some from my understanding. Given he was initially so passionate about the project, it is hard to believe this is because he just wanted to be Superman. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

13 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Most of the speculation I’m reading is he has creative differences with the show runners. This makes sense since Cavill is a fan of the books and games and the show seems to be deviating some from my understanding. Given he was initially so passionate about the project, it is hard to believe this is because he just wanted to be Superman. 

Recasting issues aside, it sounds like Cavill's been the only one really pushing to keep the show faithful to the source material, so the show probably goes off the rails once he's gone. 

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Recasting issues aside, it sounds like Cavill's been the only one really pushing to keep the show faithful to the source material, so the show probably goes off the rails once he's gone. 

It would seem that way based on the limited info we have. 

This is an embarrassment to recast the main character of one of Netflix’s biggest shows. 

This is a real bummer for the show, which already had enough problems. He has been really excellent in the role, and he clearly had a passion for the material. With more seasons coming in addition to spin-offs, it's surprising that Netflix wasn't able to keep him around.

I do also like him as Superman. Whatever roles he ends up taking, I hope it works out well for him.

Its actually not surprising after it came out that some of the writers didnt know or like the source material and Cavil from the start who is a huge fan said he would be in the role as long as they stayed true to the source.  so on one hand good for him for sticking to his guns (even though we know it was the DC payday) and the for the show runners it was a real fuck around and find out

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

(even though we know it was the DC payday) 

But again, given how hard he crusaded to get the role, it's unlikely he just walks away for the DC payday if he's fine with how things are going on the Witcher. He's got enough star power that if he wanted to, I'm sure he could have gotten DC to give him time to also do Witcher, and Netflix to allow longer breaks between shooting seasons to accommodate the DC stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

But again, given how hard he crusaded to get the role, it's unlikely he just walks away for the DC payday if he's fine with how things are going on the Witcher. He's got enough star power that if he wanted to, I'm sure he could have gotten DC to give him time to also do Witcher, and Netflix to allow longer breaks between shooting seasons to accommodate the DC stuff. 

Remember when Paramount wouldn't let him shave his face for the Justice League Reshoots and they had to do that weird digital thing? Netflix probably wasn't accomodating as you're assuming they would be or Warner's wasn't or both. These studios don't always play nice and why should they? They're competitors. He had to make a choice and he made it. On one hand there was Geralt... on the other, there's Goddamned Superman. I know which one I'd pick.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Eh, I don't see it as that much of a big deal to be honest :shrug:

Perhaps I’m unaware of all the other instances where a major flagship show recasts the main character, played by an actor nearly everyone likes as that character, right in the middle season of the show. I’m having trouble coming up with it for tv shows. There are some instances in movie series. 

Edit: Sliders comes to mind, but it was on its death bed. 

58 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I really enjoy The Witcher books, but it strikes me as a bit precious to get caught up in strict adaptations of the source material in almost all cases, and especially with The Witcher.

And I have always made the point that I don’t care if they steer away from the source material for tv as long as it’s good. However, I had read that they didn’t even want witcher signs in the show and Cavill made sure it was on there. I don’t know if that’s true, but that would be an example of them veering too far away from the source material.